Looking for some advice/ideas.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
idbowman":u12aeij7 said:
One issue with the medical field that I don't think has been mentioned is the schedule AFTER the schooling is completed...not to say there aren't nursing positions out there with "normal" hours, but most LPNs, techs, or RNs that I know spend quite a bit of time on second, third, or rotating shifts - even after you're trained, licensed, and employed, that schedule might not mix well with the single-parent issue.  Maybe its not a problem, maybe it is...but something to keep in mind.

Also, you have to consider where you live.  Some have said "IT is always hiring," others "There are no IT jobs."  Same applies to nursing, sales, and everything in between.  Where I am (NE Ohio), the tech industry is wide open as is accounting (another field which you can get trained in online, if numbers suit your fancy).  Plenty of nursing jobs around here, too, but there's also a lot of competition (many, many nursing students in Ohio, coming out of a number of reputable schools).  Good luck finding a good job in sales, distribution, or a million other things around here, though.  

I'd expect the situation to be different in other communities.  What's true in NE Ohio isn't necessarily true in the communities where other BoBers live, including out in your area (Eastern PA, I think?).

You might want to jump on the online job posting sites and pick up a few Sunday newspapers and look through the classifieds.  Unless you're planning/willing to relocate, you might want to start by asking:
--What's hiring in my area?
--Is that field growing (or at least not shrinking)?
--Even though I'm not "following a dream" per se, is this a field I can see myself in long-term?

But then this is coming from a guy who makes his living in a field that is entirely unfulfilling and unrelated to the degrees I've earned, so don't put too much stock in what I have to say.  :p 
No, I agree with you. These are all points that I have thought of as well. It's a really tough situation. A catch 22 to be sure.

Your goal to find a lucrative and rewarding career will take much of your time and energy. The effort will be rewarded, for sure. You will do well, you are all that and more!

Please do not forget the real dream, though. Keep thinking about it, research what others have done to be successful. Develop a business plan. That step alone will give you the knowledge of what it would really take to open a boutique for stitchers and knitters. This is what will make you happy later in life. it is a worthy and wonderful dream, do not lose it.

Yeah, like me trying to be a stripper. Really hard work for not a lot of payoff...boy, did the career counselors lie to me. :no: Now I see it as getting paid to keep my clothes on. Better for everyone, anyway.

:tongue:

8)

Kyle Weiss":vtjyqcly said:
Yeah, like me trying to be a stripper.   Really hard work for not a lot of payoff...boy, did the career counselors lie to me.    :no:   Now I see it as getting paid to keep my clothes on.    Better for everyone, anyway.

:tongue:

8)
Tough work, but someone has to do it.  Kyle has been nominated and selected.

If this brain could only wear a bikini, I'd have post-grad scientists drooling. :lol:

Kyle Weiss":wbs1cj0q said:
If this brain could only wear a bikini, I'd have post-grad scientists drooling.   :lol: 
I'm already crushing on your brain, bikini or not.

Kyle Weiss":vueeghny said:
If this brain could only wear a bikini, I'd have post-grad scientists drooling.   :lol: 
And that, sir, is a very cool kind of sexy!

My brain, she's a crazy b*tch with a switchblade in one hand and a book in the other, bad handwriting, and gets in drunken bar fights.   With herself.

Sean68":9cq26t9j said:
Kyle Weiss":9cq26t9j said:
Exactly! Brains turn me on.

Briarbabe":fvryhnrm said:
Sean68":fvryhnrm said:
Kyle Weiss":fvryhnrm said:
I am enticed by the idea of watching his brain get into a drunken bar fight with itself. This MUST be seen!

Sean68":qwz1gtjx said:
Briarbabe":qwz1gtjx said:
Sean68":qwz1gtjx said:
Kyle Weiss":qwz1gtjx said:
I am enticed by the idea of watching his brain get into a drunken bar fight with itself. This MUST be seen!
Better yet, watching it squirm into a bikini...that is a sight to behold!

pepesdad1":o4vlt6nc said:
Sean68":o4vlt6nc said:
Briarbabe":o4vlt6nc said:
Sean68":o4vlt6nc said:
Kyle Weiss":o4vlt6nc said:
Better yet, watching it squirm into a bikini...that is a sight to behold!
Oh, THAT would be a sight!

I just figured out this theme, if realized, would render me dead. I knew you all had ulterior motives.

:lol:

8)

Sorry to be late on this post, but it's been a long, long time since I've been on the site. Not because I'm anti-social, but just socially inept. I don't do well with crowds.
Anyway, I'm just sticking my two cents in. Not as a suggestion, but just an opinion. BriarBabe, Do what you like to do most. I see that you enjoy and have grasped the nuance of writing. You do not need a degree to write. You do need time, a place to put your writing when finished, and perserverance of making that writing go to that place. You have the experiences and ability already to keep a reader reading. Now find a way to juggle those experiences into a time line that progresses into many pages, pages that do not have to actually have happened, but makes the reader live with what is happening now on that page. When you are not writing, then you can be doing an alternate field for more experiences and cash flow while you wait for the checks from writing. Just an opinion.

2asprins":hse2nk2v said:
Sorry to be late on this post, but it's been a long, long time since I've been on the site. Not because I'm anti-social, but just socially inept. I don't do well with crowds.
Anyway, I'm just sticking my two cents in. Not as a suggestion, but just an opinion. BriarBabe, Do what you like to do most. I see that you enjoy and have grasped the nuance of writing. You do not need a degree to write. You do need time, a place to put your writing when finished, and perserverance of making that writing go to that place. You have the experiences and ability already to keep a reader reading. Now find a way to juggle those experiences into a time line that progresses into many pages, pages that do not have to actually have happened, but makes the reader live with what is happening now on that page. When you are not writing, then you can be doing an alternate field for more experiences and cash flow while you wait for the checks from writing. Just an opinion.
Trust me, it's the grand scheme. My plan is to get my book deal just as I'm finishing my degree, so I can laugh all the way to the bank at the irony of it all.

Briarbabe":9078541y said:
2asprins":9078541y said:
Trust me, it's the grand scheme. My plan is to get my book deal just as I'm finishing my degree, so I can laugh all the way to the bank at the irony of it all.
But why does laughing at irony hurt so damn (replace with F-bomb for accurate translation of thought) much?

Go for easy quick, easy money. Be a pin striper ........in a bodyshop .

Tasteless, sure.

Still, if I were a girl, and someone said I should be a stripper, it's kind of a complex way of saying, "Hey honey, you're hot..."...a compliment is a compliment.

8)