Making my First Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a question that goes around time and again. "What does handmade mean?"

MY answer, not that it amounts to a hill of beans, is that anything that is made by a person without the use of automation qualifies as handmade. If a lathe is used, then as long as it's not a CNC machine and is being guided by computer, that's okay - the craftsman is manipulating that tool manually. Manipulating a lathe, or any other power tool for that matter, takes an acquired skill that is developed over a significant amount of time. But any monkey can put raw material into a CNC mill and pump out a part as long as they have the code for that part.

I've really said all I can say, but I guess I'll say more... I'm not going to give up, I'm just going to back down the ladder a little. :lol: Pandora's box is up there, apparently, and I needn't worry myself with it. :lol:

I have no less than thirty pages of advice given by carvers and makers, and I've tried to assemble it in some form. There's literally TOO MUCH information out there. My point is, if Peter Heeschen suddenly came out and said, "...guys, sorry to mislead you, but I make all of my pipes with a broken hunting arrow and a merry go round," there'd be thunderous applause and cheers to his innovation. A start-up guy needs to work with what he has, and he's met with challenges, tones of "who do you think you are, do you know who WE are?" and at the very innocent, "Here's how to REALLY carve a pipe (followed by 9,000 bits of tips, tools, gadgets, ideas, etc).

If this were electrical engineering, there'd be a specific way to say, "Oh well, this doesn't work because you used this capacitor over here when you should have used another over here..." and all would be well. There's absolute design involved. Pipecarving is also an artform. There's, of course, methods, tools and approach that all can coincide to get the rough idea. It isn't the end of the story, if you ask me. You can get away with much more flexible methods to reach the end result in comparison, and I was hoping to adapt a few of those. :)

I realize there's just as many egotistical turds that think if they can pick up a box cutter and a block of wood and match Alfred Dunhill products, and argue to that effect. That clashes with guys with earned ego, who has proof-positive skills because the checks with the cash paid on them are right in front of him. Suddenly, there may be a difference of opinion, mixed with earned experience and whatever social inadequacies we all have. (Mine is self-indulgent typing, as you may have noticed) :lol: Perhaps I just managed, in my search for simple information, to find some of the less-than-politely-stellar posts on pipemakersforum that caused me to get a bad taste. Who knows. In any case, information is abundant there, clarity is buried, I have nothing to contribute. It's useless for me to go doing what I'm doing now, over there, I'll just look like an ass. I've already embarrassed myself here, so it's okay. :p

I'm not in any of those categories. I have a $30 Wal-Mart drill, some clamps, a guitar case on a keyboard stand, a coping saw, some files, some random gouging tools, some sandpaper, and some stain I got from my luthier father in law. The hand drill is something in my crap in storage, buried someplace. That's it--all of which is "wrong". It's set up adjacent to my synthesizers, in front of a closet in a spare bedroom in an apartment. No lathe, no room for one, can't use one if I wanted to, and that goes for being able to buy it (or any other powered tool) to begin with. I can't even use the sanding disc attachment for the drill to help smooth the pipes, because I get red dust all over my electronics--not a good match. :lol:

I just wanted to carve a few pipes, not make a career, not fill up space I don't have with things I can't afford. Not show everyone what an instant "artiste" I am. Not get in pointless debates about who is right and wrong with tools and method. I'm just trying to make do.

Hopefully this makes sense. This thread isn't even about me, and that makes me feel like an ass...I kind of have to state my case, like me, it is unique. :lol: I'd much rather return it to Uber's project. Carry on.

Thanks for expressing your thoughts so clearly, Kyle. I can honestly appreciate your point of view.

Now like the man says, let's get back to work! :D

I haven't gotten a lot done in the last few days as my available hours have been much more limited. However, I've grabbed 20 minutes here, 45 minutes there and have made some progress. Enough, I think, to warrant a small photo update.

For a few days now, I've been debating whether to shorten the stem or not. Something kept nagging at me to cut off about a 1/4". Finally, I did some measurements and made some cuts and I am currently much more satisfied with the length of the stem. The stem has also begun to take shape. Check it out!

stem_f10.jpg

More to come!

Just finished two days off this week and boy was I laaaaaaaaaazy! I did get a little work done on the pipe though. At this point, most of the progress is pretty slow, but I'm keeping at it. I'll post a photo of the progress on the stem when I get home this evening.

:p

And another update:

stem_s10.jpg

stem_s11.jpg

The stem is finally starting to look like it belongs on this pipe. From the bottom photo, you can see the continuity of that long bottom line coming together. Still lots of work to do, but it's awesome to see things slowly come together. Exciting stuff!

The precise and pragmatic approach you seem to be taking is beyond what I've done thus far... :lol: This is going to be an awesome piece of smokable art. 8)

Kyle Weiss":n1x0fhz5 said:
The precise and pragmatic approach you seem to be taking is beyond what I've done thus far... :lol: This is going to be an awesome piece of smokable art. 8)
Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing the end result. I'm still brainstorming on how I'm going to alter the shank when viewed from above so that the composition flows into the stem. I've got the top and bottom figured out, mostly. We shall see what happens! :D

UberHuberMan:

How are you shaping the stem? File, dremmel, disc sander, etc? I'm just curious. I finally have my latest pipe to what I think might be it's penultimate state. There are still some minor flaws to iron out, but, at any rate, what you're working on looks very, very nice.

Martin

MartinH":rmo700gb said:
UberHuberMan:

How are you shaping the stem? File, dremmel, disc sander, etc? I'm just curious. I finally have my latest pipe to what I think might be it's penultimate state. There are still some minor flaws to iron out, but, at any rate, what you're working on looks very, very nice.

Martin
Thanks for the kind words, Martin!

I'm at the point where I'm using diamond needle files to shape the stem. Very soon I'll be stepping to sand paper.

The complete list of tools:

Rasp & File
Diamond Coated Needle Files
2mm to 5mm Gimlets
Calipers
Straight Edge
Sand Paper from 60 grit to 600 grit
Coping Saw
Dremel with Dewalt Drill Bits

I look forward to seeing your finished pipe! :)

I need some advice on how to use a friggin caliper. LOL! I bought an entire set, but I'm having a really difficult time understanding how to use these measuring devices to ensure symmetry between all rounded sides. Okay, okay, I pretty much sucked in shop class in High School.

:) :cry:

MartinH":lk65mipn said:
I need some advice on how to use a friggin caliper. LOL! I bought an entire set, but I'm having a really difficult time understanding how to use these measuring devices to ensure symmetry between all rounded sides. Okay, okay, I pretty much sucked in shop class in High School.

:) :cry:
Hah! If you haven't already, I'd recommend getting a digital caliper. They're extremely precise and affordable and you don't have to waste time figuring out what the measurement actually is. This is mine, and it's fantastic.

I feel ya on the shop class comment. This is my first time really working wood of any kind. It's a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong process doing this all by hand. I'm coming up on 70 hours spent on this pipe. It's extremely rewarding and the overall process is therapeutic and hypnotic. I've lost hours upon hours working on this pipe and not even realized it. Awesome stuff. :D

Totally agree on the digital caliper suggestion.

Martin, Harbor Freight has them, too, I have one, and it's ace. 8)

Big ole update! Shaping is pretty much finished! have a look in the video. I wet the pipe so that the grain would be visible. The whole pipe is sanded to 600 grit in this video. Woohoo!!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mBaKYIg7Xv8" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My lord, man, that's going to come out great. I wish I had your patience.

8)

Kyle Weiss":2v23v1q3 said:
My lord, man, that's going to come out great. I wish I had your patience.

8)
Thanks! :D

Making this pipe has had so many lessons already and I'm sure there are more to come. One lesson is that even with a lot of patience, one can feel the trials of getting a pipe just right. There have been a lot of moments when I've been working on the pipe for 5 or more hours when my energy begins to wane and I start rushing, which is never good. I've had to learn to force myself to stop when I begin to feel like this, otherwise I could really mess things up.

This pipe, while I'm very happy with it, has a lot of little detail imperfections that I could fix, but am honestly afraid to because of the potential risk at this juncture of ruining some part of the pipe. For example: the curve on the top of the shank isn't quite right and needs some refinement, but the airway is pretty close to the low point on that curve and I'm nervous that I might penetrate if I try to correct it. Also, when I cut the slot on the stem, I messed it up by accidentally angling the slot up instead of making it perpendicular to the airway. That was a moment full of foul words, I can assure you! As a result, there's less material to work with on the top of the stem, so if I made it more narrow, I'd run the risk of penetrating the stem and after the nearly 30 hours I've put into the stem alone, there's no freaking way I'm risking that.

Other lessons include a profound sense of humility. Making a beautiful pipe is HARD. I think that, for a first pipe, this is turning out to be quite lovely, but the numerous imperfections are clear to me and I can only hope that my next pipe doesn't take me 100 + hours to complete by ironing out the details that didn't get ironed out in this pipe. I had a lot of respect for the craftsmen who make beautiful precision pipes before, but now I'm amazed by their abilities. :shock:

All that being said, I can't wait to put the finishing touches on the pipe so I can smoke it! It's a bit heavy for a clencher and the thick and wide stem makes it hard for me to hold in my mouth anyway (long canines). As such, this will be a great sitting pipe. It feels great in the hand anyway, so there it will stay. :)

Thanks again for the kind words, Kyle! Your constant support is invaluable.

Next up: staining and final sanding!

My girlfriend has kindly allowed me to use her powered drill to buff the pipe once it's stained. Since I've got the drill now, I went ahead and ordered stain, arbors, buffs, tripoli, and carnuba from PIMO. More to come once those supplies arrive!