Making my First Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uber-

That pipes amazing, simply incredible. I love the unique design and the entire shape in general. I'd really like to make a stem from scratch, and I'm really interested in how you shaped that particular stem. I purchased a really gorgeous piece of blue acrylic, but I'm not sure I know where to start. I do think that I have the requisite tools, albeit I may need to get a special drill bit.

Did you just shape the stem by hand, slowly, and with care? I've tried to do that before, and didn't take my time, meaning that in the end I just really screwed up the pretty stems I just bought.

Okay, thanks for the update, I loved the video. Can't wait until you show the final product with stain and polish.

MartinH":eijsbheq said:
Uber-

That pipes amazing, simply incredible. I love the unique design and the entire shape in general. I'd really like to make a stem from scratch, and I'm really interested in how you shaped that particular stem. I purchased a really gorgeous piece of blue acrylic, but I'm not sure I know where to start. I do think that I have the requisite tools, albeit I may need to get a special drill bit.

Did you just shape the stem by hand, slowly, and with care? I've tried to do that before, and didn't take my time, meaning that in the end I just really screwed up the pretty stems I just bought.

Okay, thanks for the update, I loved the video. Can't wait until you show the final product with stain and polish.
Thanks, Martin! :D

Slowly and with care is what went into this stem. Working on the stem alone, I clocked about 30 hours shaping it by hand with rasps, files, and sandpaper. I highly recommend it, as it allows you to be very precise, but man is it time intensive! I highly recommend taking breaks at least every three to five hours or else you'll just ruin the stem with frustration. Every time I felt like "why can't this just be done!" I made myself stop, because I would've made a horrendous mistake otherwise.

I'm going to be thrilled once I get this baby stained and polished and I can't wait to unveil it. I hope it turns out well. :p

In the mean time while I wait for supplies to arrive, I'm reading up on finishing techniques and I've started working on pipe #2. I must be insane because the wood chose a challenging shape that it wants to be, and I have to finish it by mid-March. I'll post pics of that one soonish!

In the mean time, photos!

final_10.jpg

final_11.jpg

final_12.jpg

final_13.jpg

The proportions of the shank to the shape and size of the bowl are THERE !! I especially like the partial rustication you have in the top and all the birdseye as well! That's one nice looking piece of briar and you have brought out it's best aspects with that shape! Will be looking forward to seeing it all finished! Great work!!

Thanks a lot for the kind words everyone! :D

monbla256":up7slc0j said:
The proportions of the shank to the shape and size of the bowl are THERE !! I especially like the partial rustication you have in the top and all the birdseye as well! That's one nice looking piece of briar and you have brought out it's best aspects with that shape! Will be looking forward to seeing it all finished! Great work!!
I really appreciate your specific comments!

Just to clarify, the spots on the rim that aren't smooth are actually spots of plateau that I didn't sand all the way down. I like that there's a little of the outside of the block still showing. Those spots also make a beautiful pattern on the rim of the pipe, IMO. :)

Seriously, guys, thank you all so much for your positive feedback and support. The response to my first pipe (even before it's finished!) has been overwhelmingly positive and I am truly touched by everyone's kind words.

I'll post photos when I receive my next care package of supplies. The end is in sight... 8)

All kidding aside, she sure is a beautiful pipe. Enjoy her in good health! We need a drooling emoticon for me to be able to properly express my feelings.

Great looking pipe. Im eager to see the final photos after the staining and buffing.

You're getting better results than I am, sir, it's awesome. I expect it to arrive finished and polished soon; you have my address. 8)

:cheers:

Kyle Weiss":3mgxjn9u said:
You're getting better results than I am, sir, it's awesome. I expect it to arrive finished and polished soon; you have my address. 8)

:cheers:
:lol!: Well if you liked it before, you'll really like it now. Update time!

I received my supplies from PIMO today and got to work staining. I did a test stain on a spare chunk of briar and I'm going with a contrast cherry stain which I think is going to wind up beautiful. I was only able to finish the first round of staining today, but take a look!

dsc00610.jpg

dsc00611.jpg

dsc00612.jpg

dsc00613.jpg

dsc00614.jpg

Simple Man":w7lzzowc said:
GIVE ME THAT PIPE!!! :lol:

That is incredible! Are you sure you haven't made a pipe before??? :suspect:
:lol!: Positive! ;)

It's going to be a REAL STUNNING pipe when it is completed for sure!! Looking forward to seeing it all finished and polished up :p

Thanks again, fellas!

Kyle Weiss":j8qc23fl said:
Smug bastard. :D

It's beautiful, and you know it is. 8)
Haha! I definitely think it's beautiful and I'm over the moon that everyone else seems to think so too. :D :cheers:

Update time!

So I've got the final stain on the pipe and it's lookin' pretty good. Only step left at this point is to give it a healthy buffing! Check it out:

dsc00615.jpg

dsc00616.jpg

dsc00617.jpg

dsc00618.jpg

Next update will be of the finished product! :D