March Madness - BoB Bombing Mission #12

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Orders recieved, shredded and burned, wife is mad cause the fire destroyed the monitor :rabbit:

Dr. T - no, it was actually fine as it reminded me to post the 'do not' thing. Likely saved me 21 PM's, or so.

Today was a little piece of heaven here in God's country. Sunny and over 60 F. Got two projects nearly finalized. One, a new twist on a hanger for the Mora Bushcraft knifes scabbard which I futzed together with some beautiful Ambrosia Maple and very heavy gauge copper wire) and assembled and glued the first of the season's trout fillet knives (a nicely springy blade of 440C stainless sent me by brother Lesath mated to a block of Quilted Maple with fine shimmer supplied by brother Harris...complete with a black Micarta face plate and stainless cross pin...a unique item in more than one way as I carved the handle into an animal prior to staining it BLACK using the pipe maker's technique. Never done black before, always wanted to, now I have. Certainly does buff up nicely...and with a good coat of Carnuba wax it shows off the shimmer in the grain really well.)

So following all the shop work I dug into a brush pile that's been bugging me and cleared that and then rolled out the MY-T-MOWZALOT and got both the front 40 and back 60 down to a height where the cats can't hide in it (I like a nice clean shot and since they're trying to make our place their evening, very early morning and all night love nest and catRwalling practice range...I figure they're fair game ).

New hiking boots came in the mail. My first foray into the world of North Face shoes. Everybody else in the world seems to love 'em. I hope I do too. Only had to hock one of the kids for 'em...so that was good.

So I celebrated the completion of those amazing feats with an even more amazing allergy attack. Totally laid me out for about three hours. Finally came out of it though, just in time to start dinner. I think that the having one of the galloping hoard hocked out for new boots woke up the rest of 'em cause they would normally have trotted back into the bedroom to wake me up and ask what was for dinner.

So all in all a pretty good day. Keep the faith brothers, don't be strangers and I'll leave the light on for you.

So the Commander has declared Mayo to be a dressing. I will comply and change my Mayo to a sauce:

Fish Sauce.

This ain't a dressing.

Yeah, that sounds like Nuok Mam. But those tanks...the factory-like atmosphere...whatever happened to the little clay pots, the Mama San with her wide straw hat, the trusty family pet (Lum Pi, the Water Buffalo) the sun facing plot of steaming jungle under which the rotting fish bubbled and frothed, becoming more and more...sauce-like?

Ah well, if y'all can't get it down on the farm at least there are some commercial types that are OK.

http://vietworldkitchen.typepad.com/blog/2008/11/fish-sauce-buying-guide.html

6a00d8341ef22f53ef01053633a48e970c-pi

Here's a good sauce shopping page:

http://importfood.com/cookingsauces.html

Blackhorse":69elpzr7 said:
the Mama San
She said it was "too beacoup" and the squad continued on their mission in Vietnam. -Full Metal Jacket

She was actually an informant for the North Koreans and pert near got BJ Hunnicutt and Hawkeye killed. -MASH

Jeesh BH, haven't you figured out the Mama San's are ALWAYS bad.

Yes, the mythology of a foreign occupation...I think the archetype of the evil mama-san might have started with the Romans. They might have found related mosaics in some garrison bath house at Pompeii. Only then it was an evil spell casting Druid priestess. Either that or a sheep.

I'll be picking up ingredients later today for the "Halo 4" sauce. I'm taking suggestions for an overall theme/flavor profile, as well as a different name for it. Here's the deal: Whenever My friends and I have a cookout, I make a sauce on fly, usually taking requests. Sometimes folks will ask for something like "that one you made for the venison chops last year". Foolishly, I allowed my friends to assign their own names to these specific "brands". This practice got out of hand in a hurry. Last summer when they came up with "Fiery Halo Over an Ice Cream Cone Impaling a Winged Human Skull", I said "Okay, but I'm just gonna call it Halo". Since then, I use Halo-x for the "real" name to keep it easy on my failing brain, while they can still give it whatever absurd moniker they please for their own use. I'm up to 4 now, so I'm calling this Halo 4. If anyone has a better idea to write on the bottle, speak up.
Also, I'm thinking Halo 4 will be Kansas-style with notes of citrus and cherry, with Serrano peppers for heat. I'm not married to that notion, though, so if you guys can think of something else, now's the time to say so.

In honour of master chief, please add some green jalapeno to your sauce!

Greyson":27bfhqzd said:
In honour of master chief, please add some green jalapeno to your sauce!
Ah yes, that Halo four. Sorry, I'm not a gamer. I wasn't thinking of that. Hmm... serranos are green and have a fruitier flavor than jalapenos. On the other hand, their heat can be tricky to manage. I'll consider it.
Now that we've brought up other Halos, does anyone know off hand which album the other other Halo 4 was? I could find out for myself, but that would mean standing up and walking across the room to my CD rack. Insanity.

I considered squeezing a few dozen Taco Bell salsa packets into an empty ketchup bottle, but that would have been too time consuming.

I picked up a bottle of Winking Lizard BBQ sauce (The Lizard is a local sports bar chain...I would drink their BBQ sauce straight from the bottle if it wouldn't get me kicked out of the place).

Blackhorse":waesuvoz said:
Hmmm. If drinking the sauce is all that it takes to get tossed, most of us best stay away from the place.
I doubt half of the squadron would even be allowed through the front door in the first place. They actually have George's photo posted at the hosts' stand.

Well...George, yeah. But the rest of us really didn't really hurt anyone. And those girls actually appreciated the attention, is my story. That incident with the sheep was greatly exaggerated.