McClelland 5100, RIP.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimInks

Reaction score
Smoking Pipes has said Mike McNeil told them that 5100 has been discontinued. One of the components is no longer available. RIP.

Steve Fallon, aka Pipestud, alluded to this situation on his website. Does make me wonder just what this one "component" might be! FTRPLT

ftrplt":ji42ci9w said:
Steve Fallon, aka Pipestud, alluded to this situation on his website. Does make me wonder just what this one "component" might be! FTRPLT
Jimmy Hoffa.

Here's the post I made about this on Dec, 12, 2017 :    
"Was going to order another pound of one of my fave Red Va's, McC's 5100 Red Cake and found out from Smoking Pipes that it is no more !! Seems this years crop of Carolina Red Va's was not up to their standards so it will not be blended. No word when it will be back !! I like it both fresh and cellar'd so wil have to break out one of my cellar'd pounds for this next year !! Sad day in Dodge ! " :twisted: :twisted:

ftrplt":d55sbzaf said:
Where on his site ?

Brewdude":ldeei1wc said:
weedsnager":ldeei1wc said:
ftrplt":ldeei1wc said:
Where on his site ?
It was in the copy for the 5 lb bag of 5100 he had for sale.

Cheers,

RR
What was the price ?

Despite what Mike McNeil says, I have a hard time believing this won't be made available again in the future. It stands to reason this is one of their top selling bulk blends, and very probably featured in their other blends.

Which component isn't available? And why? Not grown anymore? Hard to believe. McC must be a major purchaser and could keep this going. Or at least a match from another source.

I'd like to see a statement from Mike explaining this in detail. Not that I doubt him mind, just that I'd like to know the details that led to this. And make no mistake, I applaud McC for sticking to their QC and core values, all of which means that they are committed to the consistency and stability of their products. I totally respect that.

I have no illusions that this is a ploy to exploit the price of this fine blend. Just a curious consumer.

Cheers,

RR

monbla256":hvk3kqjn said:
Here's the post I made about this on Dec, 12, 2017 :    
"Was going to order another pound of one of my fave Red Va's, McC's 5100 Red Cake and found out from Smoking Pipes that it is no more !! Seems this years crop of Carolina Red Va's was not up to their standards so it will not be blended. No word when it will be back !! I like it both fresh and cellar'd so wil have to break out one of my cellar'd pounds for this next year !! Sad day in Dodge ! " :twisted: :twisted:
Again, here's what SP was told by Mike about why it is out of production. :twisted: :twisted:

What gets me about this whole discussion is the ever so slight difference :lol: between a "component" being missing/not available/not up to snuff, etc. to "this years crop of Carolina Red Va." not being up to their standard. An entire crop is one humongous bit of 'baccy!! Old Belt and Middle Belt alone are thousands of acres of leaf, not counting the other "Belts" where Carolina Red is grown. Note: I'm presuming Mike meant Carolina Red Va. as a whole, not just that grown in North and/or South Carolina. Lots of blenders use Carolina Red. McCrainie's Red Flake and Ribbon are from the North Carolina Old Belt. Should we be cautious about buying any Ginnyweed containing 2017 (I guess!) Red Va? All this has me quite curious. Plus I thought 5100 was just pure Carolina Red Ginnyweed! What's up with the "component" business? Inquiring minds want to know!!!!

Disclaimer: I have never smoked nor bought 5100RC. No dog in the fight!!! Just curious!!!! :cheers: FTRPLT

From what SP and McC said this years crop of Red Va from the Carolina's wasn't up to standards. Simple as that , the ingredients weren't right so it's not blended. Simple/dimple ! :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":713sl11x said:
Simple as that , the ingredients weren't right so it's not blended. Simple/dimple ! :twisted: :twisted:
From the several rumors (some new, some old) that have been going around about McClelland's future that I will not repeat it may not be that simple. :shock:

Besides. Blending is a secret art. You've seen those guys. Pointy hats. Staff. Long robes. Talk to themselves a lot.

Never fear. It will be back. I suspect that there is plenty in cellars.

daveinlax":e7rxnmeu said:
monbla256":e7rxnmeu said:
Simple as that , the ingredients weren't right so it's not blended. Simple/dimple ! :twisted: :twisted:
From the several rumors (some new, some old) that have been going around about McClelland's future that I will not repeat it may not be that simple. :shock:  
If I were McClelland's, I would be looking really hard at retirement plans. It was a great run while it lasted. The smoking environment has become very hostile and showing no signs of easing. Except for marijuana.

I can see it now..... Virginia Red Bud Flake. Marlboro Green. Alcapulco Plug. On sale for $89.95/50 gm tin.

Gosh, losing 5100 is a real smack in the head. I still can't quite grasp the thought of having no more of this exquisite tobacco when my meager supply ends.

The thought of losing McClelland's entirely is just way too much to take in. WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY too much.