Might As Well Get Started

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

furthur56":che1gm2i said:
If you're gonna have a mascot that Steeler fans hate, you might as well go all the way.

I suggest we replace Steely McBeam with a giant foam effigy of Roger Goodell. In a perverse sort of way, it would actually be really effective. Nothing brings out Steelers fans’ pride and unity to the degree that hatred for Roger Goodell does.

You could have him wearing a business suit, dancing in the stands, cheering for the other guys. Or instead of a business suit, have him wear a Tom Brady jersey. The fans would go nuts. The jeers from the fans would be a cacophony of hate that would flow from the stands down to the field, choking the life out of anyone who isn’t wearing black and gold.

You could set up a booth before games where fans could have their kids punch our mascot for a dollar per punch, with the money going to charity. Just imagine . . .
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/8/6/3222205/2012-steelers-training-camp-observations-part-two#storyjump

:face:

A yinzer named Jack Purvis was in Canton over the weekend for the Hall of Fame festivities and decided to try an experiment in fan experience deception. He convinced security to let him park down at a table in the autograph tent and sign for his friend to see if other visitors would follow suit and ask him for a signature. Fans quickly fell for it and Jack apparently signed for 25 or 30 people, most of them wondering aloud who exactly he was. Absent a definitive answer, most were still glad to get an autograph. One person thought he was Ken Stabler. Another had Jack speak on the phone with his wife.
http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2012/08/crafty-yinzer-trolls-nfl-hall-of-fame-fans.html#ixzz22ozpXfO4

IronCity":kqwts499 said:
Now THAT'S funny

Reminds me of about 18 years ago I was at an afterhours place somewhere near Whitehall off of RT 51. Had to sign some membership card to be allowed in. Here's me thinking I'll give a fake name because I'll never be back and don't want to be bothered with mail or phone calls. So I give a fake name. Not thinking they'd even look, I sign Barry Bonds.................and they checked. So I got kicked out at 3am while my buddies went in without me not knowing what happened, nor probably cared b/c they were there to get their drink on

So as any good entrepreneur would do, I stood outside and collected $2 per head. Made almost $100
http://steelerfury.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19435

In case you missed it --

1. There's no white trash like Baltimore white trash. I've lived in Maryland for eight years and I can tell you that northern Maryland white trash occupies its own distinct niche. It's as if the suburban Baltimore area were populated exclusively by fifth-grade gym teachers.

These people have NO sense of humor, nor any sense of self-deprecation. That's how you end up with a fan base that engages in a comical level of collective paranoia. Ravens fans like to pretend that they're the U. Miami of the NFL. THEY'RE OUTLAWS! EVERYBODY'S OUT TO GET THEM! The refs have it in for the Ravens. The NFL has it in for the Ravens. Dan Rooney and his owner friends have it in for the Ravens. This pre-supposes that people actually give a shit about the Ravens. They don't. The Ravens are a nothing franchise. They're the Team That Shouldn't Be. Baltimoreans have willed themselves to like this team even though they know, deep in their heart, it isn't theirs. In a perfect NFL world, the Colts are still in Baltimore, the Browns are still the Browns, and Indianapolis remains a raging tire fire in the center of flyover country. These replacement Colts will never be as lovable to the rest of the NFL as the Baltimore Colts were. They're the unwanted replacements. They're the Sammy Hagar of NFL teams.

Whoa hey, did someone say Sammy Hagar? BOBBY FROM TOWSON SAYS, TURN THAT SHIT UP !

3. There's no guaranteeing that John Harbaugh will know that he has a timeout left. Seriously, man. Get your affairs in order . . .

Fan Commentary :

Baltimore has the most insufferable fans on the f'g planet. Granted, losing our beloved Colts to those mouth breathing, inbred hicks in Indy sucked...but it's f'g annoying hearing a 14-year-old kid bring it up who can't spell "Atlas," let alone use one to find Indianapolis. The refs, the league, the media, the beer guy who cut you off during the second quarter because they vomited on a child...they are all out to screw the poor Ravens fan. I also love the older fans who remembers the Colts leaving, still hold a huge grudge about it, but gets annoyed about Browns fans bringing up Baltimore's actions in getting the team.

The lack of self-awareness among the fan base is f'g breathtaking. Apparently that God awful purple camo shit is considered now to be formal attire in many circles. I shit you not...I have been to weddings, funerals, and business meetings where mouth breathers have shown up in jerseys and camo pants. And the local celebrated accent isn't a f'g accent. It's a symptom of rampant inbreeding and lead poisoning. I never realized it until I did a six-year stint away from Baltimore while in the military. The average Ravens fan can't tell the difference between On Sides or vehicular manslaughter but no matter what...it's a bullshit call unless it goes the Ravens way. Watching a football with a Ravens fan is an insufferable experience. No matter what the team is doing, the fans are clamoring for them to do the opposite. Dominating running game to match the tight defense...WHY AREN'T WE THROWING IT 60 TIMES A GAME!?!

To a Ravens fan, Hines Ward and Ben Roethlisberger are/were overrated, cheap shot artists who are scum...but every single Ravens fan would gladly have them on the team in a heartbeat. Ray Lewis' involvement in the Atlanta murders...complete misunderstanding and the media targeting a big name athlete for no reason. Big Ben...SERIAL RAPIST! It is so hilarious how Steeler and Ravens fans hate each other because they are mirror images. It's like watching two retards dry hump the opposite end of a couch, shouting insults to each other.

Oh and the local hate on Flacco is insane. He is Dan f'g Marino compared to some of the clowns we have suffered through.

http://deadspin.com/5934703/why-your-team-sucks-2012-baltimore-ravens

Jeffri Chadiha":g8qv0n0e said:
There is one holdout left in the NFL, and it's a safe bet that many fans have the wrong idea about Jacksonville running back Maurice Jones-Drew. They may say he's greedy and ungrateful. They may demand that he honor his contract. But those naysayers need to recognize that players too often become the villains in these bitter business disputes. The best thing Jones-Drew could do is take this fight as far as it can go, because that's how the NFL's business model works.

The rumors swirling around Jacksonville suggest Jones-Drew will cave on his demands for a new contract. That would be a disappointing submission. Other players were holding out when Jones-Drew decided to make his move -- including Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Dwayne Bowe and Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace -- but now Jones-Drew is the last man standing. It's as if everybody is waiting to see how deep his convictions run.

People need to understand that it's not easy to do what Jones-Drew is doing. There is an art to the holdout, a feel for how to play chicken with big money while in the prime of one's career. Players don't decide to hold out impulsively, nor do they choose the tactic out of sheer stubbornness. They do it because they have no other choice.

"A lot of people think it's easy to hold out," said Tennessee Titans running back Chris Johnson, who held out last summer before receiving a four-year, $53.5 million contract extension 10 days before the regular season. "It's not. Some days you wake up and wonder what will happen if they don't pay you. You think about whether you have to sit for 10 games before coming in and playing in a place you don't want to be. It's a tough situation to be in."

Johnson knows all about the angst of holding out. He had two years left on his deal with Tennessee when last year's lockout started. The Titans already had given him a decent raise -- paying him an extra $2.5 million in 2010 after he made his second consecutive Pro Bowl -- and the plan was to discuss a long-term deal last summer. The lockout held everything up, and Johnson wasn't even offered a contract until right before the Titans played their third preseason game. He subsequently decided to withhold his services.

Johnson soon discovered that not everybody could relate to his plight. Haters told him he should be happy with his contract. They claimed he was demanding way too much from the poor Titans. It was the usual rant by fans disillusioned by the big money paid to athletes at a time when so many normal workers are struggling to make ends meet. Johnson was making more money than most people could ever imagine, and it should've been enough in most people's minds.

But the system has always been stacked against the NFL players. As one unnamed agent said, "Players hold out today for the same reason they did 15 or 20 years ago: It's the only option they have. Contracts in other industries can be bilateral -- meaning both parties have control in the agreement -- but in the NFL they are unilateral. All the power goes to one party. The reason for that is the risk of injury in football, but people forget that significant fact. Nobody was telling the Jacksonville Jaguars to honor [quarterback] David Garrard's contract when they cut him. So why should Maurice Jones-Drew honor his?"

The Jones-Drew case is intriguing because he clearly deserves a raise. He made the past three Pro Bowls, played the entire 2010 season with a torn meniscus in his left knee and led the league in rushing last season despite Jacksonville's anemic passing attack. Jones-Drew did all that as the 10th-highest-paid running back in the league and the 10th-highest-paid player on his own team. It's laughable that he's had to go this far --including being fined $30,000 a day for his absence -- just to be rewarded for his work.

There has been talk that Jones-Drew will have to work hard to mend fences with new head coach Mike Mularkey and new owner Shad Khan whenever he returns. The suggestion there is that Jones-Drew is hurting his team. Khan has made some incendiary remarks that certainly haven't helped the situation -- he told the Florida Times-Union, "The train is leaving the station. Run, get on it." Anybody who follows Jacksonville knows the Jaguars have been riding on Jones-Drew's back for most of the past three years.

But we live in a world where players seldom get the benefit of the doubt. It's even harder if you're a running back, because few players at that devalued position score the fat contracts that have gone to Johnson or Minnesota's Adrian Peterson.

"One of the biggest reasons I held out was because I play running back," Johnson said. "I couldn't risk playing in a game without my contract being settled. If I had gone through training camp and just expected a deal to get done, anything could've happened. And if I'd gotten hurt, I'm pretty sure the team wouldn't have paid me what I was hoping to get."

That is the same situation that Jones-Drew faces today. He could play the good soldier and hope that the Jaguars treat him right. He could go another season with 300-plus carries and countless nicks and bruises, and hear whispers about how much tread is left on his tires. This is the way it works in the NFL: Few people get rewarded for being nice guys.

The people who ultimately make their money are the ones who understand the business at its core. As Johnson said, "If you're going to hold out, you can't just do it for a few days or weeks. You have to be willing to go all the way." That's exactly what Jones-Drew should be thinking right now. That may mean fans won't like him as much, but here's something else that is true: Those same people would do exactly the same in his shoes.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8321655/nfl-blame-holdout

:cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat:

I also love football season. In Alabama we do not have a NFL team. If you want to talk college football, now that is a different story.

Yep. I emember being in B'ham on Alabama-Auburn day(s), when Bear was 'Bama's coach.

Pretty unreal.

But here ? Used to somewhat root for State Penn because it was Joe's team.

But when they threw him under the bus I lost all respect for PSU.

PSU can eat shit.

Go Steelers !

It looked like Michigan ran into an Alabama wall on Saturday. This state gets crazy every fall.

I liked Joe Pa. It was terrible seeing the man living his last days in such a way. He is well respected here in Alabama. Joe Pa is the only competing coach we have cheered for. We had 100,000 people on their feet cheering when he came into our stadium.

LOL !

Everybody up here loved Bear too. He was good people.

Funny as hell -- the bus trip from the airport to Beaver Stadium took 'Bama something like two hours. Bear griped about it taking so long to Joe.

Joe was confused & asked him what he could do about it.

Bear said, "Tell the State Police to close the highway so there's no traffic for us to fight."

Alabama did stuff like that back in the day. 8)

Maybe strange but true : Some newspaper guy here asked James Caravelle (Clintoon's Campaign Manager) what Pennsylvania was like in the big picture, politically. He said, "Pennsylvania is Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, separated by Alabama."

Politically, the regular people in both places were twins.

I suspect they still are.

I know I felt real comfortable living there for a couple years.

IN BIRMINGHAM, THEY LOVE THE GOV'NOR . . .

I agree about the similarities in the two states. The only time I had an issue was on the west side of Philadelphia. We were on a state highway that took us through a rough part of town. A pedestrian crossing the street in front of us noticed we were white. He yelled out "What the %$#@ are you even doing here?" We were in shock and we wasted no time in getting out of there.

Whether intentionally or not, he was probably doing you a favor. :lol:

There are parts of North & West Philly where White people just don't go. Companies won't even deliver stuff there (like flowers for mother's day).

The Onion":klwn5lmv said:
Peter King confirmed that it is not yet too early to be pessimistic about the Cleveland Browns this season. "In years past, it might have made sense to wait until they started out with a five-game losing streak to declare the season over, but clearly the time to give up on the Browns is now," said King, whose report determined Cleveland has "all the right pieces in place" to start getting blown out immediately in week one.
[PS : The Onion is a humor paper].

WTF?
You mean drafting rookies 2 years out from full social security is a bad idea?

Q: What do you call 53 rich guys watching the playoffs on TV?

A: The Cleveland Browns.

Q: How do you keep the Cleveland Browns out of your yard?

A: Put up goal posts. 

Q: Where do you go in Ohio in case of a tornado?

A: To the Browns Stadium -- you never see a touchdown there. 

Q: What do you call a Cleveland Brown with a Super Bowl ring?

A: A thief.

Q: Why doesn't the NFL let Columbus Ohio have a professional football team?

A: Because then Cleveland would want one too. 

Q: How many Browns does it take to win a Super Bowl? 

A: Nobody knows, and we may never find out.

Q: What do the Cleveland Browns and possums have in common?

A: Both play dead at home and get killed on the road

Q: How do you stop an Cleveland Browns fan from beating his wife?
A: Dress her in black and gold.

Q: Why do Cleveland Browns fans keep season tickets on their dashboards?
A: So they can park in handicapped spaces.

Q: Why was Shurmur upset when somebody stole his playbook ?
A : He wasn't done coloring in it yet.

Q: How do people in Cleveland count ?
A: 0-1, 0-2, 0-3, 0-4, 0-5, 0-6, 0-7, 0-8, 0-9, 0-10

Did that this morning. :holdnose:

Now I'm back to finding peoples' chains to yank.

So far, so good . . . :lol!:

Saints look bad..
Jets and Skins are looking like world beaters..
The browns are hanging on..

Interesting so far.

Watched the first half of the Browns game & the end.

Damn. Get stripped of a TD pass in the end zone for an interception, then muff an interception that would have won it.

I was pulling for them, but Cleveland's still Cleveland alright. :(

RG3 looks like a world beater for the skins...
Non prototypical prototypical black qb.

Broke a 62 year NFL record today.