Monsieur Weiss

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For my money the best Holmes was Jeremy Brett...and the series of Doyle stories he starred in is still aired on BBCA occasionally. I used to like Rathbone...and still do...but he HATED playing Holmes (though it did keep him out of WWII London during the Blitz, so there's that). Anyway, I also have great affection for the bumbling Watson played by Nigel Bruce (as though Holmes needed an idiot foil to show off his brilliance)...but I think that David Burke played a better Watson for Brett...which was done during the mid-80's. Brett had Holmes DOWN...his imagined expressions, every nuance was near perfect, and I think the screenplays were just as accurate to the originals...not being a Holmes scholar.

Oh! And by the way...

The boys here, they're off on Squadron missions all the time, they can't handle the likes of you pesterin' them and causing them undue grief every time they go out to the mailbox. They want justice, dammit!

There he goes again...(the celebrated) Mr. K...the self-appointed, unnecessary and unwanted spokesperson of any and all.

Mr. K...as the OFFICIAL spokesman of the Squadron, I assure you...the boys can HANDLE damn near ANYTHING...especially goin' out to the mailbox...at which they have extensive training which has been honed to perfection by practice in the field of fire!!!

This is the second time the honor of the Squadron has been besmirched, Sir. Thus far I have been patient, but further slights will surely result in dire consequences! I don't believe I would have a problem securing one or more gentlemen to act as my second if need be. You may, Sir, consider this a warning. :x

Blackhorse":fkid8036 said:
For my money the best Holmes was Jeremy Brett...and the series of Doyle stories he starred in is still aired on BBCA occasionally. I used to like Rathbone...and still do...but he HATED playing Holmes (though it did keep him out of WWII London during the Blitz, so there's that). Anyway, I also have great affection for the bumbling Watson played by Nigel Bruce (as though Holmes needed an idiot foil to show off his brilliance)...but I think that David Burke played a better Watson for Brett...which was done during the mid-80's. Brett had Holmes DOWN...his imagined expressions, every nuance was near perfect, and I think the screenplays were just as accurate to the originals...not being a Holmes scholar.
I've slowly been building a Holmes dvd collection. I have the Brett Series, Rathbone series, and even the new BBC series, except I still need season 2 of that. I also have quite a few of the movies from over the years. I'm with you though, out of all of them, Jeremy Brett is my absolute favorite Holmes. That was such a good show.

Blackboard, err blackberry, err whatever your name is .. How dare you insult the honor of the flipped by trying to claim that Weisscracker is one of us!!! OUTRAGE, complete Outrage!

PeeBee - You missed it. I didn't make any such claim. It was a couple of others that said he had flipped, not me. Ya gots ta read the text before preachin' the sermon, boy!

Simple Man...one of my absolute most moving moments in Television watching (a fine American tradition) was during an episode that Brett acted. He was in conversation with Lastrade t the denouement of a story (I think it was Lastrade anyway). And Lastrade is yammerinbg away, leading up to something...and finally spills - saying that he and the men of Scotland Yard would be proud to stand Holmes to a drink if he should ever be so inclined...and the expressions that played over Brett's face at hearing this were a wonder to follow...in just a moment one was able to see into the depths of Holmes character, the motives, the psychology behind him and how much the acceptance and thanks and praise moved him...while at the same time wanting to be above and beyond it and them. And at the same time, he brought the viewer into that same level of being moved. I honestly cannot remember the last time I got a big lump in my throat via TV (well except maybe when they nailed Bin Laden)...but that was one. Of course, the story itself, the writing, the other actors, etc. all played up to and into that moment...but it was Brett that carried it. At the same time I was being moved by the moment in the story I was thinking how amazing he and the series were, to allow that kind of initmate moment between them and us. So even though I was appraising it from the outside I was there, with that lump, and not outside it at all. Quite a moment indeed. There is NO other Holmes that could have done that. Only Brett.

Bah! Who needs to read when I can ignorantly just pick someone to blame!
Off with your head. Make it so Number 1...

I'm busy playing live-in CNA this week, and I've been taking care of two homes, one person and my own lack of sanity. Like I said, I flipped long ago, now it's just called "running in circles."

I have my list of suspects, one of which has been very silent as of late. He's leaving pink footprints everywhere. :scratch:

8)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HhHwnrlZRus" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:?: :?: :?: :?:

I'm wondering....by the time this is all said and done, how many heros and villians can we pull into this game???

I sure do love me some panther, though.

We're all heroes, Scotties... it's just the villainy of obfuscation that must be justified! :D

I have a theory with all the press you are bringing to the shadow that there maybe copy cats very soon.

If anyone can possibly duplicate what The Shadow is doing, I caution them against it...The Shadow strikes me as a figure not to be trifled with...he may put them in their place. As an adversary, he is respectable, as an enemy he would be possibly destructive. :D

I may need more agents! :shock:

So are the person's bombed still suspects or do you believe he could have bombed himself to avoid suspect?

This is a tricky individual. I only suspect they may try to bomb themselves to avoid detection, kind of like the robber setting up his own place of residence with a "break in" report to blend in. This person is likely a "showy" kind, not shy in the least.

8)

an interesting twist... of thoughts anyway.. perhaps he who crys loudest is the villian? I mean everybody has an alibi.. but um you know, just sayin.

"Meek" (classically defined, not Biblically) is not something I'd use to describe the bulk of the brothers here... :lol: Wish me luck. 8)

I'm coming into this late. Work is killin' me. But seeing stuff like this sparks me up! This place is too cool...

Kyle, you're not the Shadow... are you? :shock: