Most Over Rated Tobaccos

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

There are underrated tobaccos. We all tried a, or a few, tobacco(s) we deem so in our opinion.
I'm sure everyone has also tried one or some that is the opposite in his mind: it's highly seeked after; gets top reviews; are sold at crazy prices. But they're just not worth it when you smoke them.

For me, Esoterics Penzance, the new Balkan Sobranie (a total flop), Wessex Dark Flake and St Bruno Flake.

I find it hard to discuss tobacco's in general.

But yes for me,

New release of Balkan Sobranie- if you smoked
Germain products before, I can say without knowing
What I smoke that this product is made by Germains
It's not a bad thing, never smoked the original but
The new release reminds me of their
Special Latakia version alot.

St. Bruno Flake (MacBarens) very vinegary .
The RR version is actual better than the Flake!
That wasn't in the past like that...

Smoking my way trough a bag of Esoterica Stonehaven
The tobacco is ok, but "where is the Beef" on this one?
Can't understand the hype at all!
It's good , but that good? Not for me!
Would I pay prices of 100$/150$ ? never.

Cheers
Michael

Yup, Esoterica stuff in general is overhyped, IMO. Don't get me wrong, they are indeed fine blends, just overly coveted as I see it.

Though i don't smoke much of what is popular here, having become confirmed McC's red va smoker over the years I only know there are a few blends that I've tried recently that I used to smoke back in the '70s and '80s which have been a big dissapointment. Most are no longer made by their original blender with many of the same leaf that was avilable back then so some changes are to be expected.
Three blends that I used to smoke were made by Rattray's in Scotland and I really liked 'em back then. They were HOW and Old Gowerie as well as Red Rapparee. The new blends are mostly a ghost of what they were back then. I have given each a two tin try and basicaly wasted my money !! :twisted:
Though I mostly smoked 759, and it went through many changes as the years went by, I would occasionally pick up a tin of the white label and since that's all that is available under the Sobranie label today I again given a two tin try of the new stuff and it's sad what is put in that tin and called Balkan Sobranie today!
Some of this is to be expected as over 30+ years many of the supplies of the original leaf used in these blends have changed, even the varieties of leaf have so to expect a blend to stay exactly the same would be foolish thinking. But some of these have strayed so far off that IMHO why waste ones money !! :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":ddpv27rs said:
Though I mostly smoked 759, and it went through many changes as the years went by, I would occasionally pick up a tin of the white label and since that's all that is available under the Sobranie label today I again given a two tin try of the new stuff and it's sad what is put in that tin and called Balkan Sobranie today!
Ever try Russ Ouellette's BSOM "Match Blend"?
I find it to be simply magical! Far better than that Germain crap.....
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/88782/match-b-s-o-s-m/#p-170148

DoverPipes":9adr2m18 said:
monbla256":9adr2m18 said:
Ever try Russ Ouellette's BSOM "Match Blend"?
I find it to be simply magical! Far better than that Germain crap.....
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/88782/match-b-s-o-s-m/#p-170148
Is it a 759 match as THAT I would like ! I always thought the white label tins should have been call 759 LITE !! :twisted: :twisted:

I think Half & Half is highly overrated as being one of the worst blends on the market. When Pinkerton was making it there was no score low enough to equal it's disagreeable qualities, now that Scandinavian Tobacco has returned to the original recipe I think it's one of the best Drug Store blends made. I usually have a couple of bowls every day. :)

AJ

Ozark Wizard":qasuupzc said:
Yup, Esoterica stuff in general is overhyped, IMO. Don't get me wrong, they are indeed fine blends, just overly coveted as I see it.
+1  and Balkan Sobraine....I had whole tins and gave to friends, and some Dunhill, old several valorated and for my,
today there are blends well above them in the market, fortunately

and I smoked, and I have some tins in my cellar

Captain Black. In all it's variations. The reason it is among the best sellers is it's distribution network, not the quality of the smoking experience.

Anything cherry blended. So many women seem to have an affinity for the smell of cherry blends. But I have yet to smoke one that is decent. I have not smoked them all. A fellow can only stand so much disappointment before he shies away from them. I would have thought that one of the Gawith houses would have perfected a cherry blend. But that black cherry rope simply did not do it. If I could get something like 1792 Flake with a bit of cherry that comes out in the room note and just adds a minor touch of sweet to the taste. That would be good.

Esoterica tobaccos seem to bring out that love/hate thing more than most other brands. Margate is superb, by the way.

I agree with those that have mentioned Penzance. Yes, it's a fine tobacco and not BAD by any stretch, but I don't understand the hype. This, for me, is true of pretty much all Esoterica blends with the exception of Stonehaven (which, to me, is 100% as good as it's billed to be).

Also, for me, Dunhill Nightcap.

@ Carlos: I have some And So To Bed (didn't try it yet) but have not tried Margate. I seem to unerstand tgey are rather similar except that ASTB has a light topping.

In the past it's been-

FVF
Esoterica (Penzance/Stonehaven/et al)
(insert your own here)

Or whatever seems to be the darling at the time and in short supply. Too much ado about nothing say I. And while these are fine in their own way -

There is no one holy grail. It's all in the mind of the individual. Once attained, it only leads to a craving for the next holy grail. Sisyphean IMHO.

Be satisfied with what you have. I heard this from my late Mom on many occasions and it rings true.

:sunny:

Cheers,

RR

I can't tell the difference between disappointment and overrated. That's my fault for relying so much on recommendations and chatter. In the past five years, only one tobacco has lived up to the recommendations, and I had very high expectations for it. That's a win.

Zeno Marx":gqoxyq63 said:
I can't tell the difference between disappointment and overrated.  That's my fault for relying so much on recommendations and chatter.  In the past five years, only one tobacco has lived up to the recommendations, and I had very high expectations for it.  That's a win.
Which one Zeno?

:?:

Cheers,

RR

I'm going to go off the beaten path here... Solani 633. Not bad but not something I'd bother to buy twice.

I simply disagree about all the Esoterica stuff. There's not one I haven't liked. They're all superbly made and of superior quality.

Every Dunhill blend is overrated in my opinion.

I have to say Esoterica Penzance. It's terrible, horrible stuff! It gives you incurable STD's and has been know to cause blindness, shingles, and loss of appetite. If you see this tobacco for sale, stay away for your own good - don't put any in your basket. After smoking this you might find yourself drawn to Jazz clubs, engaging in promiscuous behavior, or smoking increasingly strong blends (it's a gateway tobacco after all). Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY any Penzance! In fact, if you find any of this devil weed for sale, PM me quickly so I can appropriate any surplus stocks and keep it out of the hands of the innocent, law abiding public. We have to take a stand!

At $181.73 per pound the new RO Perique blends are overrated no matter how great they taste. JMHO :no:

AJ