My newest pipe... :)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
little something i made today :) .....

:)

olive wood and padouk ring :)

2e24101.jpg

6fxt74.jpg

m9y8oj.jpg

i798oi.jpg

qyvnz8.jpg

5zgv8g.jpg

2uotp5d.jpg

15pl7ns.jpg

2059npl.jpg

30cnlm9.jpg

v4t5r8.jpg

161xpgg.jpg

i2ufra.jpg

aenskj.jpg

I've been looking at these photos, trying to come up with a description of this pipe, and the words are just not coming to me. It looks like something out of a dream, the way it floats above the surface. A beautiful shape, and the grain is a perfect match.

man this was so nice...!!! thank you....
really - thank you! :)
best regards
daniel...

Nice work,,the grain is interesting,,,looks like a comfortable pipe to hold,,,thanks for the pictures

This is one very beautiful pipe, congratulations. Nice to see how shape, grain and finish harmonize, and I like the photography.

Boy! how on earth do you do that? That pipe is just beautiful. You are a real craftsman. Well done.

thank you guys :) i am happy you like her....

@Alan - this is how i made it :) in three pictures :)

10icdab.jpg

3091teh.jpg

j92gra.jpg

EASY - right ?????
:p :p :p :p
heheheheheh.....

thank guys for your generous opinions :) regards
daniel

What did you use to cut it out and smooth it? You turned the stem I assume, And how did you get that beautifull glass finish? As a somewhat less talented wooodworker, I am interested.

my dear Alan - here on this site in the link bellow you will find a lot of "how to's" :)
Pipemakers Forum

most of my "knowledge" related pipemaking comes from that and some other forums...
the pipe was cut in rough shape using a regular hand saw.. After that i used a french wheel to sand it into a more acceptable shape and after this step i used dremel rotary tool for fine things... when i was happy with the shape, than i used sandpaper and hand sanded everything down to get the fine, smooth surface... so sandpapers were 320, 500, 800, 1200 (if you are using briar you can also go with 2000 too)... from the step 500 up to the end on every step before going to a finer sandpaper i used polishing wheel and brown tripoli to smooth the surface better and to allow me better to see where the pit's are...
after sanding and olishing is done, i used carnauba wax and sewn cotton wheel from Pimo supplier to finish the pipe... that is how you get the surface to look like that...
also, you never go to a finer sandpaper gradation before you removed every pit you have from the previous papers (you probably know that rule as a woodworker)... :)
the mouthpiece was made out of a acrylic rod 25x30mm in crosssection... i have sanded it down to get a rough cirlular shape in crossection and than used a handmade lathe for turning wood... it is not very precise but good enough to turn a rough shape. after that, i used hands to sand the mouthpiece and finish it... sanding was the same as with the wood except i used a finer muslim polishing wheel after using brown tripoli and cotton polishing wheel... clean finer wheel is necesary in order to get the mouthpiece so shinny... :)
the process is more complex than this above - this is only a rough theory how to do it :) :) :) if more info is needed, i am here :)
regards
daniel

Thanks Daniel, that was most informative. I do mostly turning and scrole work and the odd carpentry job, so understand you well enough.
You have great patience to have done such a fine job.

Very eye catching pipe! The color stain you chose almost makes it look like Bocote.

That is a very beautiful pipe. The shape, color and grain are just wonderful.

AlanJohn":4l02wqye said:
Thanks Daniel, that was most informative. I do mostly turning and scrole work and the odd carpentry job, so understand you well enough.
You have great patience to have done such a fine job.
thank you Sir :) it is also a great joy when i am finished and have a beautiful piece of functional art in my hands... especially when i am happy with the result... :)
i am here if you need any more informations :)
regards
daniel

Dutch":tp36ak5f said:
Very eye catching pipe! The color stain you chose almost makes it look like Bocote.
thank you dear Sir... the colour of the pipe is a natural colour of the olive wood :) :) :) it is very nice in my opinion... :)
regards
daniel

Buckshot":1jd76s73 said:
That is a very beautiful pipe. The shape, color and grain are just wonderful.
thank you David :) happy you like it... :)
regards

Beautiful pipe! I've just begun carving. My first three were Nording kits. The first is a sort of 1/8th bent billiard (most of my pipes are billiards) with a plateau top and now my favorite pipe. Second is a sort of disappointing acorn that I hope to save with the right stem. Third I tried to get creative and carved into the smoke chamber. Now I'm working on a largish bent freehand I drilled myself. It's looking promising, but pretty conservative. Ultimately, I'd like to do some more creative shapes, and yours has certainly fanned that impulse. I really admire your stem, as well. I don't know that I'll ever get that good with them--still working up my nerve to bend a nice prefabricated lucite I bought. Anyway, thanks for the inspiration.

Michaelangelo - thank you so much...
makes me happy right in the morning :)
when i first started to make pipes, others were making fun of me because for the first pipe i needed arround a month and a half to make it (due to some lack in material)... the second one i needed arround 2 weeks... the point here is that i usually think about what i want to make a lot... before i start making it...
so, usually i do know what i want to get and slowly progressing to a finished pipe... i make drawings of it, think abotu details and so on... then i transfer the drawing to the block and start removing material with a hand saw blade... after that i use a french wheel to make it look o.k. from a side view (but do not go right to the red line - better leave 2mm more material to be removed)... after i done this, i am shaping the pipe in 3D to get the shape i want... it is really not that hard when you know what you want to get....
the problem is when you are not sure what you want... right now, i am shaping the pipe that i am not sure how she will turn out at the end... she is looking like a bone right now :/ .... :) heheheh... you will see :)... those are the problematic ones but sometimes they turn better than the ones you were thinking of for weeks... :)
don't worry, keep working and everything will sit on it's place as it should eventually :) :)
ohhh... have patience with it too :) :) heheheheh...
regards
daniel