Nic Hit

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peckinpahhombre

Reaction score
I used to smoke cubans and I have always found that I have a strong tolerance for large doses of vitamin N. Yesterday I smoked a long and deep bowl of Pete's Irish flakes in my new Radice oompaul. I almost couldn't stand up when I was done. This is the first time I've ever had that feeling. I love the stuff but I think I will need to confine it to small bowls from now on.

Yup. It packs a punch to be sure.

Frankly I'm not overly fond of the flavor though. I find it thin and one-dimensional.

More for you guys. <shrug>

YMMV

Cheers,

RR

This is one of the reasons why they make pipes with different chamber geometries. I love Bracken Flake and ODF in a Prince or Author.

IMO Irish Flake is a good high 6 , low 7 in nic on a scale of 1-10.

I've smoked maybe 40-50 tins of it.

Most, if not all of the ropes, dark flake, birds eye, five bros, that GLP with Mahogany... All stronger.

peckinpahhombre":2gzblrkb said:
Interesting Brewdud. Do you like flakes at all? If so, what is your favorite?
Love flakes aamof. Not sure what my favorite is right now though. That changes like the weather. Too many to list.

In general, I don't really appreciate heavy nic blends. I have a low tolerance for nicotine.

:pale:

Cheers,

RR

out of curiosity do you fellas smoke for the Nic? and are any of you fellas guilty of inhaling? I personally smoke for the flavor and I have been rocked a couple of times since I have picked up the pipe, I have been smoking cigars for a long time and have never had that with a cigar.

Personally I don't smoke for the Nic. Have never had a craving and don't really care whether Nic is present or not. I too have never had the feeling I did yesterday, and I have smoked many monster cigars. Personally, I don't inhale with a pipe nor with a cigar. Then again, I have only ever smoked one cigarette in my life, and that is when I was in high school. I can imagine if I smoked cigarettes previously where I was used to inhaling then it might make not inhaling with a pipe more difficult, but that is a guess.

I hadn't eaten all day yesterday when I had the smoke at issue. I don't know whether nic hits you more on an empty stomache or not.

I don't think you can say that either pipe or cigar tobaccos have more nicotine.

I think it's a matter of the overall strength of your system and precisely what amount of nicotine is released by that particular tobacco. On any given day either can signal you to stop smoking immediately or pay the price:).

Hombre: I don't know whether nic hits you more on an empty stomache or not.

Answer: You Bet! An effect of nicotine is to drop your blood sugar. If you are wozey, a hard candy is a remedy. But, it is best to have a good meal before smoking a strong tobacco.

:affraid:

It's funny, Irish Flake I consider to be pretty darned strong (in my realm so far), pushing an 8 - 9 on a ten scale. Warrior Plug is a 9, JKP is a 9, the SG Brown Pigtail PD so graciously sent me a few curly-q's of is about an 8 - 9...

...it's the way the nicotine comes on... freight train movin' at 70MPH, or a steam roller...one you see comin' on, the other blindsides ya. SG Brown Pigtail is a steam roller, the rest are freight trains. Walk with caution. :lol:

Funny how the stuff all hits us.

Have I had a "10" yet? I reserve that number until I'm sure. :lol:

8)

We all 'smoke for nicotine', admitted or not. Not suggesting we are all addicts even though I certainly am. Nicotine and possibly a few other WTA is what brings you that relaxation, that meditative state, and for some cases the yen for the yang of a form of adult add.

you are self medicating while smoking regardless the level of your dose and of your perceived desire.

puros_bran":pa8vxbnk said:
you are self medicating while smoking regardless the level of your dose and of your perceived desire.
Many refer to pipe smoking as a hobby; give me a break! They also dismiss the health risks. Funny that such statements issue from those who smoke regularly.

Right.

I've never just outright dismissed the health risk of pipe and cigar.
I have zero 'proof' but my best educated guess as to the actual risk would be somewhere between the 'scientific' study that you live longer by smoking pipe and the 'scientific' study that shows if a parent happens upon a tobacco logo their children will all die of cancer and deservedly so.

If you are going to partake I'd (again) guess that pipe and cigar are either the second or third least dangerous way. Swedish snus being safer and possibly but to early to really call it ecigs also being safer.

Nicotine is a poison. Tobacco smoke contains carcinogens. Every piper inhales. Your mouth is not an airtight receptacle and even if it were you exhale into the air you breath.

Should you quit? Unless you desire to or are specifically advised by an informed doctor (as opposed to the anti-smoking lobby mantra spewing toad pretending to practice medicine) I wouldn't. But I also wouldn't choose to make an uninformed decision without weighing the risk/reward either.

loneredtree":zalhjfai said:
Hombre: I don't know whether nic hits you more on an empty stomache or not.

Answer: You Bet! An effect of nicotine is to drop your blood sugar. If you are wozey, a hard candy is a remedy. But, it is best to have a good meal before smoking a strong tobacco.

:affraid:
"Fraid your wrong on this one. Nicotine RAISES your blood sugar. Here's some medical info about this :

http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20110328/nicotine-and-blood-sugar-bad-combination

Nicotine and alcohol are two of the most addictive drugs known to man. If you put such in your body you are both addicted and drugged. Physiological common sense. I tried to quit all tobacco this year. I couldn't. But I have not resumed telling myself what I deem to be large untruths common on this Board. Guys say "oh, when I am in X state I don't like to smoke. I put it down for X days. This is proof that I'm not addicted." Fine, but can you quit altogether? I sold $10,000.00 of tobacco, pipes and other smoking stuff this year. I wish I hadn't as I don't plan to quit again. I'm a smoker and I like smoking.

Most pipe smokers don't inhale, but the mucous lining of the mouth is highly permeable. The advantage of cigars and pipes is only that you don't develop emphysema. According to my admittedly low knowledge of medicine, the entire chemistry of tobacco distilled in smoke is inserted into the body.

I'm not saying that all of this applies to you; but I will be doubtful if you tell me it doesn't.

puros_bran":4yq6zsos said:
We all 'smoke for nicotine', admitted or not. Not suggesting we are all addicts even though I certainly am. Nicotine and possibly a few other WTA is what brings you that relaxation, that meditative state, and for some cases the yen for the yang of a form of adult add.

I am a nicotine addict.

I quit all tobacco/nicotine for two or three years. Then on another forum I heard read about snus as a smoking cessation product and that it seemed "less risky."

I read up on it and decided to renew my addiction to a plant that I missed a great deal. Now I primarily use snuff and pipes with snus to fill the gaps when neither of the others are convenient.

I know the nicotine transfers and quite well. I'm unsure about the other alkaloids.. When I smoked cigarettes and pipe I would often lay a pipe down, smoke a cigarette, then resume the pipe.

I have nothing but anecdotal evidence but I believe anatabine isn't absorbed as readily without inhalation. Anatabine is a psychotropic alkaloid found in tobacco smoke..

I believe it's the reason I started showing severe signs of ADD after quitting smoking. It is not found in any useful quantity in eliquid.