Nic Hit

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait, are you not supposed to inhale Pipes or cigars?
(Just kidding)

I don't smoke consciously for a nic buzz, but that's all part of the pleasure. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your body still takes in Nicotine weather inhaled or not? I prefer to inhale. I know fellas who don't. It's all how you like to do it.
Zach

I don't smoke for the Nic hit nor due to addiction. If by definition a pipe smoker is an addict, then I am not a pipe smoker.

Is it an addiction that goes under the guise of hobby, or is it a hobby that's addictive? Semantics.

I probably wouldn't smoke tobacco if there wasn't nicotine. A lot of the "I quit cigs now I just smoke a pipe and I'm healthier for it" is merely denial from my point of view. It's cross addiction. A little like: "I quit whiskey and only drink wine coolers or beer. Ain't it great to be sober!?". It's still alcohol or nicotine, but in a different wrapper. If you drink eleven wine coolers or smoke five bowls you're still getting to the same place IMHO.

The saying If I'm enjoying it, I'm not controlling it. If I'm controlling it, I'm not enjoying it seems à propos. If you're going to do it, do it without reservations and enjoy.

I didn't say a pipe smoker was an addict. I said I was an addict.

I don't think everyone that drinks is an alcoholic.. but to deny the effect of alcohol or that it is a desired result of drinking alcohol is a telling sign.

A drug is a drug.

This is one of those necessary conversations around here, one that I hate, personally, but here it is.

I have and always will point out that "addiction culture" is set up on an amount of fear and guilt brought on by perceptions of damage and: get this--pleasure.

ANYTHING can be addictive. Chemical, psychological, etc. There's a very blurred line, made on purpose, by psychologists and "addiction culture" proponents (usually well-meaning 12-steppers, sometimes the government, advocacy groups, etc) not as to what is addictive, but why...and that's lumping the good with the bad, right there: sometimes people need help away from something when it consumes them, but the fallout can have unintended consequences.

However, consuming something is not the same as it consuming the consumer. There's people with reasonable alcohol, nicotine, marijuana and probably other drugs. Why you don't see or hear about those people? It's because they aren't sensational. How many normal people take drugs or seek a "high?" Probably a vast majority, in some fashion. Exercise or adrenaline-rush lifestyles included. We don't see these people as "addicts" because there's no show to put on. A rich billionaire on cocaine and in and out of rehab is actually appealing to some for the same reason, opposite results. In the end, normalcy doesn't help promote a cause or a notion of someone's, and it certainly doesn't make people money down the road (mainly government and special interest). Nobody's wowed by a "normie." We want to be sold death, skid row, and trashed lives--because even being rescued can be addictive.

That said, purge the guilt if anyone reading this has it. Admit your like nicotine, not that you are "an addict." Admit you like booze, not that you're "an alcoholic." This isn't denial, and it isn't putting you in a category of pre-guilt, because the real addiction is being bad, and well--having a label: addiction.

Furthermore, nicotine by itself isn't nearly as chemically addictive without additives, hence, cigarettes. Yes, it is addictive, because it is a slight psychoactive substance. So is caffeine. So is alcohol. So is pot. People just eat, drink and smoke sh*t, because it feels good. As for health effects? I'll bring up the fact I have severe allergies and asthma. You know what made it better? SMOKE. It toughened up my nasal passages and I don't have rhinitis nearly as much. The small amount of smoke I do inhale (ala PeeB's notion) I've attributed to actually HELPING my lungs...they apparently needed a little resistance to improve. Our bodies were designed to accept a little adversity in our environments, and I've often thought sterility in living space causes more harm than good--just a theory. How about mental states? PeeB mentions ADD or whatever, I have some flavor of ASD, and another Brother has Tourette. I've heard stories about all three of those being helped by nicotine, and from my vantage point, it does help. So yeah, you could say I seek nicotine out: and the gentle, mellow feel I get from it is just a bonus. Eyes wide open.

Excess in anything is never good--guilt absolutely included. It isn't going to interfere with my piping, unless there's a reason to stop. I quit cigarettes when I saw what they were doing, but pipes have improved my life. Even my doctor says, "If it's working, keep it up."

Addiction is real, and it's also just a word. No one can escape it I guess, so eff it. Life's too short.

8)

Where is all the guilt your referring to?

also if you'd quit skimming you'd see what you said has already been said..
attentionwhore is a worse addiction than nicotine. :pig:

It's a generalization of guilt in addiction culture, PeeB...plus, I didn't like how the conclusions read, so I fixed it concisely. Hey, at least I have a grasp on it if all I was doing was skimmin'. :lol:

I'm a hyper typist, if I wanted attention, I'd leave the house and play music, jerk. :heart:

8)

Yes... look up genre "noise music." There's even a place for my kind. :lol:

8)

puros_bran":wt3d1e5z said:
I didn't say a pipe smoker was an addict. I said I was an addict.

I don't think everyone that drinks is an alcoholic.. but to deny the effect of alcohol or that it is a desired result of drinking alcohol is a telling sign.

A drug is a drug.
Not that you need it, but thanks for the clarification.

Lol.. your welcome or piss off.. whichever way you intended that... Lol

BeetleJazz pointed out a while ago that boys often tease girls they like.

So that's it with you two ?

Fess up here.

:face:

That's a well known fact Yak.. I only screw with the people I like.. otherwise Im pretty much in ignore mode until a moderator needs someone to arsehole someone else.

Kyle Weiss":t29bowyr said:
guilt absolutely included.
This is my point.

There's a musician in the brass section in my orchestra that comes to mind whenever we get on this topic. He is one of those extremely heavy drinkers that most would label "alcoholic". He's paid the price many times over with being fired, three divorces, car accidents, ad infinitum. Yet from his point of view it's not an addiction, simply a lifestyle choice. He has no reservations, regret, nor guilt associated with any of it. Even if his drinking has impacted himself and those who surround him negatively he continues unfettered. When he showed up too drunk to play once, I called him on it. He didn't talk to me for two years after that.

What that whole experience taught me was that it isn't a problem for someone until they think it's a problem. You can't define it ot diagnose it from the oustide looking in- only from the inside looking out. To judge him or try to "save" him is more about me than him.

Today we get along great, even if our respective lifestyles don't intersect in any way shape or form. The only thing that changed was my perspective.

He was referring to gravel ....

I just arsehole your dumb arse so the other mods don't have to.