No more pipes and tobacco for awhile.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate that guys. If worse comes to worse I may take you guys up on that.

Danish_Pipe_Guy":a50rv0wp said:
Sounds like a loss of fuel pressure. I'm betting on the fuel pump. Try having someone turn the car over while you gently rap on the tank with a rubber hammer. If something's stuck it will start. You can be sure it's the fuel pump if you spray some starting fluid into the intake (big hose that goes from the air cleaner to the top or side of the motor) If it's the fuel pump the car will run for a few seconds and shut off. The pump is about $100.00 and the labor is about $150.00 depending on the car...
That was my thought as well, and I'm not even a car dealer :p

Aaron,

My guess is fuel filter or fuel pump.

Best of luck, Brother!

Aaron,

I'm praying for you brother.

This very thing happened to me a few months ago. I was driving my daughter's Toyota Camry, when it just died...all the warning lights came on, and I had to wrestle it over to the side of the road (fortunately there was a convenient place to stop).

Took it to the shop, and found out it was a timing belt. In some cars, a broken timing belt can mean the end of your engine. In others, including Camrys, it's fixable.

I don't know if that's what has happened in your case, but when I read your post that's what I was reminded of.

But maybe it's just a simple fix, as some have already suggested.

Again, you all are in my prayers.

Mike

Aaron, I'm curious to know if you found out what the trouble was, yet? Hoping things are going well for you...

hey everyone, thanks for all the prayers and thoughts. Still no word on what's wrong. The car is still sitting at my buddies house, he just hasn't hade time to look at it. Right now we are just bumming rides from friends. I did have my dads car for two days but on the way home from work yesterday the brake started smoking on the right front passenger side! I am having no luck with cars. So that is where things stand at the moment.

Update.

Still no word. I can't seem to get a hold of the guy who has my car at his house.... So, we're still bumming rides and whatnot. Being without a car is the pits.

Aaron":dk19mk5c said:
Update.

Still no word. I can't seem to get a hold of the guy who has my car at his house.... So, we're still bumming rides and whatnot. Being without a car is the pits.
Can you go to the person's house and check on your car?

He lives in the back woods of a place called Wayne. I'm going to have to coordinate with his brother, who is a good friend of mine, and figure out a way to get out there. It'll definitely be next week at the earliest.

Aaron, I just saw your post, if your buddy can't figure it out call Gil's automotive in Norman. I've used him and my company has him take care of our work trucks. He is kind of grouchy, but he's good, honest and reasonable. Best of luck

n, been away from puter for a while, just trying to catch up. If possible, have someone throw a battery charger on that rig and get it charged up good prior to havin a mech. look at it. It makes trouble shooting in a driveway a hell of a lot more pleasent. Wish I were closer, I'm a lot better with harley's, but have done a fair share of wrenching on autos. Keep in mind the best advice from other brothers. 'Reputable' mechanic. Oh, by 'wants to turn over', do you mean it is turning over and want's to start, or is motor not turning over at all?

Bulldog

Another quick update. Got the car to my parents house and my dad is going to have some people look at it and we'll see how it goes from here. Bulldog, thanks for the advice.

All I can say is good luck with that.

I've finally found a good mechanic who's also a nice guy. He's also Johnny on the spot for anywhere any time. Just before I sold it, it was the last straw, he put a fuel pump on our old Civic in my driveway and, in the end, only charged me for parts plus $50.

Granted the fuel pump in that car comes out through a hatch in the trunk in about an hour in and out, but he could have charged what, I'm sure, a dealership/chain garage would have charged me, exactly one arm, two fingers from the other hand, and my first born.

I've rambled a bit, but best of luck in getting it back on the road.

Sounds like your almost there. Royal pain. Hope things work out okay for you and your gal.

It's great that you have your Dad living near by so he can have someone look at the car.

I was thinking the fuel pump as well. There's a way to check if it is loosing pressure by placing your hand over a certain part, but I can't remember which, as I saw my husband do it on our old Mercury Lynx. He helped me change the fuel pump on it, saying women should know how to do such things.

Another thought that can cause sudden deceleration could be the timing chain, though your Neon is fairly new, but with current cars of the past twenty or so years, that doesn't mean anything. Stuff breaks much sooner, or so it seems. Usually a timing-belt will crank but not start, if yours is an overhead cam engine then try opening the oil fill and look inside the valve cover while someone cranks the car where you should see the cams moving. If you don't, your timing belt is probably gone.

An acquaintance of mine said her transmission went out on her and her husband's 2007 Ford Escape, just six months after purchasing it. Yikes.

I hope you can get it fixed without it costing too much.
Regards, Lisa Marie

Lees":r1o0asmq said:
It's great that you have your Dad living near by so he can have someone look at the car.

I was thinking the fuel pump as well. There's a way to check if it is loosing pressure by placing your hand over a certain part, but I can't remember which, as I saw my husband do it on our old Mercury Lynx. He helped me change the fuel pump on it, saying women should know how to do such things.

Another thought that can cause sudden deceleration could be the timing chain, though your Neon is fairly new, but with current cars of the past twenty or so years, that doesn't mean anything. Stuff breaks much sooner, or so it seems. Usually a timing-belt will crank but not start, if yours is an overhead cam engine then try opening the oil fill and look inside the valve cover while someone cranks the car where you should see the cams moving. If you don't, your timing belt is probably gone.

An acquaintance of mine said her transmission went out on her and her husband's 2007 Ford Escape, just six months after purchasing it. Yikes.

I hope you can get it fixed without it costing too much.
Regards, Lisa Marie
For some reason Lisa, we remind me of Marisa Tomei in the movie "My Cousin Vinny".

:D

Ever see the movie?

Ha! I've always liked trying to fix things, but don't always know how. I like to listen to Click and Clack on occasion as I'm always learning something new about autos. My husband is a big help, too, as he encourages me and now, he never has to change the oil or oil filter as I usually beat him to it.

Ah, I've seen that movie, but shoot, I don't remember a character like that. I remember it was a very good movie, and thanks for the hint, as I can now put it in my Netflix queue. It's been years since we've seen it.

Lisa Marie

kilted1":0xzxpkpu said:
With someone helping, pull out a spark plug (it really doesn't matter which one as long as you can get to it easily) Have your helper turn the ignition on and try to start the car. If you are getting output from battery, coil/ignition system you should see a nice fat spark.
This isn't something a beginner should be trying.