On L. J. Peretti Blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mattia,
Glad you enjoy the Park Square mixture. If you are looking for something a little more complex, with a touch of sweetness and great Turkish you will do well to try Tashkent. Definitely in my top selections for orientals.
Enjoy
Doc

This is an excellent thread. Royal and Cuban seem like they are right up my alley. I have not tried Peretti at all but there seem to be a strong recommendation to do so. Now if I just had a cellar in my humble home...

Hello Derlict,
You don't need a cellar. Peretti packs their tobaccos in old time paint cans and they will hold tobacco in perfect condition for years. I have pounds of their tobaccos that are in perfect condition after more than 10 years in the original tins!!!!! Just keep em in a stable environment.
Doc

I smoked a bowl of Omega last night and really enjoyed it. Need to smoke it more. So far I think I'll stick with Commonwealth for my full English, but Omega was more than enjoyable. I also rec'd samples of Tashkent and BPC and am going to try the BPC today.

The Royal Blend was, to me, an overly polite, lightweight English. Blend 333 was cased with something floral and put me off. However, I LOVE Cambridge Flake and Cuban Mixture. Their tobacco is very good, and when they get a blend right, they really get it right. I need to evaluate these samples I just got to see if they are worth adding to the rotation, and then I need to try Somerset and Scottish Flake. As their English blends go, they tend to the mild side, so order Omega if you like it full. Cambridge Flake is pretty mellow, but it has an incredible sourness to it that made me fall for it with the first bowl.

Love Peretti's and they are definitely one of my go-to blenders.

docwatson":9nnj3725 said:
Hello Derlict,
You don't need a cellar. Peretti packs their tobaccos in old time paint cans and they will hold tobacco in perfect condition for years. I have pounds of their tobaccos that are in perfect condition after more than 10 years in the original tins!!!!! Just keep em in a stable environment.
Doc
Paint cans? Nice tip, thank you. So with bulk would you use paint cans with Ziplocks or what?

For bulk I use mason jars like many other tobacco aficionados. But the cans that Peretti uses work exceptionally well. Any blends that I have from them stay in the paint cans, and believe me, I have a considerable stash of their blends, my favorite blender.
Doc

cakeanddottle":nj55pxcv said:
Blend 333 was cased with something floral and put me off.
Interesting. I didn't get that at all with 333.

I'll have to go and have another bowl. To me it was a nice easy going burley blend.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":x9ktk2nt said:
cakeanddottle":x9ktk2nt said:
Blend 333 was cased with something floral and put me off.
Interesting. I didn't get that at all with 333.

I'll have to go and have another bowl. To me it was a nice easy going burley blend.

Cheers,

RR
Yeah no one else says that either, including Peretti's, but something about it put me off. I smoked BPC for the first time tonight, and that's my burley. I get nothing but from it, just a wonderful cube cut burley. Really good stuff!

I am not big on burley, but one I really like is Sommerset Slices from Peretti! I would reccomend it highly! Everything else I have got from them(mostly English blends) is very good as well!

I recently got my Peretti blends in the mail. I Got 4 oz of BPC,333, cuban Mixture, and Somerset Slices. I've heard the latter is the best burley to be had. I've got all weekend to try these so I'm excited. I smoke mainly VaPers now so burley isn't my thing but I'm open-minded about it, either way they're in the mason jars. I'll let you know how it turns out. Peace-Mike :tongue:

docwatson":tg3yov9c said:
Hello Derlict,
Doc
I must add, and this only happened twice out of perhaps a dozen tins, but sometimes they don't twist tie tight the plastic bag inside the "paint can" tins and the inside of the can rusted terribly, to the point where I could literally pour out powdered rust. In one case, it didn't seem to get into the tobacco, but on one case, I lost most of a half pound of Scottish Flake (which is a very moist flake). Perhaps it was just a fluke with me, but I move the contents to canning jars.

If no one else has had this problem, it may just be my luck, or as both were Scottish Flake tins, that particular tobacco being unusually moist?

Still, I love all of their Virginia flakes.

Natch

I've tried several new Peretti's blends recently: Cuban Mixture, D-9575, Cambridge Flake and 1072. Actually, I am smoking some 1072 in a Ser Jacopo Maxima right now...quite nice. D-9575 is my personal fav of this batch, but each is simply as good as it gets. They are all rich, sophisticated and well heeled. Other than the off-putting Boston attitude one gets when calling in a order, I highly recommend Peretti tobaccos to any of the Brothers of Briar.

derlict311":za5wyf2b said:
Other than the off-putting Boston attitude one gets when calling in a order, I highly recommend Peretti tobaccos to any of the Brothers of Briar.
Hey!....I resemble that remaahhk.

last summer I visited New England and I stayed a couple of days in Boston.
casually I found Peretti...what a great shop!
I bought a Peretti pipe and 2 oz of "Boston slices". Good sweet and slow burning flake.
unfortunatly the only way for me to buy other blends is to come back in Boston again... :cry:

I have lived in the Boston area for 11 years and have visited Peretti's countless times. I tend to smoke heavy latakia blends, and have found Royal, Omega and British to be decent tobaccos. In VAs, I like their Park Square blend. However, there are plenty of high quality tobaccos in the market these days, and I don't love any of their blends enough to always have some on hand.

Someone mentioned this earlier, but the off-putting attitude is an issue. I find some of the staff to be surly, which is exactly what I don't care for when I am in a tobacco store. Many of the guys are engaging and kind (Steve, Charles for example), but others not so much. Just my two cents, and I mean no offense to those who love the store and their blends. I am happy that a longstanding store like Peretti's exists -- the way I am happy that Iwan Reis still exists -- but I am not enthralled with their blends.

I am a fan of several of the Peretti blends, including Cuban Mixture, BPC, D-7485, D-9575, British Blend, Royal Blend, Pride of Loch Lomond, and Park Square, which is my all-time favorite VA/Per. I have a good supply of most of these on hand and smoke them regularly. I did phone in an order once and encountered a rather surly employee, maybe he was just having a bad day. They do get their orders out promptly in my experience and the paint cans are a novel and secure way of enclosing the tobacco.

Smokey

smokey422":j973vnap said:
I did phone in an order once and encountered a rather surly employee, maybe he was just having a bad day.
bad days seem to the norm there,,

If you've been watching Briar Blues youtube channel, he's been talking very highly of LJ Peretti blends. By description, I'm particularly interested because they seem like they could be a potential substitute for McClelland #2015, or at least in that realm. Why the post? Just frustrated with the taxes, or whatever other reason(s) make this stuff so expensive. $80/LB? The same situation with Park Lane tobaccos. whew.