Open Tins-How many in your rotation

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MC

Reaction score
I have numerous open tins and zip-locks of tobacco I have purchased. Tend to smoke some more often than others. How long will tobacco keep in tins and ziplock bags? How many do most people keep in their rotation.

MC":8frjh1di said:
I have numerous open tins and zip-locks of tobacco I have purchased. Tend to smoke some more often than others. How long will tobacco keep in tins and ziplock bags? How many do most people keep in their rotation.
First off, 'ziploc" bags are best for transporting 'bac, not storage, even for just a month. Take your "ziploc" bags and jar 'em up even if you are gonna smoke the 'bac right away ( 1oz samples might be OK, but more, put in a jar of some kind. ) I store all my bulk in bail-top jars as well as my flakes that come in the rectangular tins. Once these are opened, they can dry out pretty fast so I transfer these to bail-top as well, My 'bacs that come in round tins, either metal topped or plastic lidded, that I'll be smoking daily I leave in these tins as I smoke. This is what I do for my "using" 'bac, not cellaring or long term storage and I usually have only 3 to 4 tins opened at one time. Just my experience that works for me and the amount and way I smoke. :p

I've got three open tins but about 10 jars that I dip into. Variety is the spice of life. :)

I've been whittling away at the tins, I'm down to four open ones, down from eight. Three jars are regularly open.

Ziplocs are an insurance measure rather than a fail-safe, that's for sure. Usually I double-up the zip-top bags for transport, and keep open (smaller) tins in 'em, too. Everything else is in sealed tins or Mason jars. As a "small amount" alternative I use spent baby food jars. They last longer than bags and hold about an ounce of tobacco if you cram the hell out of 'em...the seals will not last forever, though.

8)

I am down to 2 actual OEM tins, but I have a bunch blends in various sized jars. Nothing is stored in ziplocks. Ziplock bags are gas permeable and depending on where you live, anything you store in them will degrade over a fairly short period of time. Nothing beats a good old Mason jar for storage (long term, or just to use as a container to hold what you're currently smoking).

I have a very disorganised 'rotation', at the moment there are about 8 blends I've got open and stored in one way or another, one tin I've not stored yet and about another 8 small sample bags in ziploc... I know, I know, its not good.

DrumsAndBeer":v7il1nvx said:
Nothing beats a good old Mason jar for storage (long term, or just to use as a container to hold what you're currently smoking).
I agree.
Open tin, put in a 1/2 pt. mason jar, fill pipe, screw on lid, light pipe, no worries.

alfredo_buscatti":l5ar1b4d said:
Since 2003, if I open a tin I jar it.
Me too. And in a way it sucks because tins are so much nicer to look at especially if they have nice graphics and cool fonts. I am such a packaging hound that I feel a sense of loss when I throw a tin in the recycle bin after the baccy is transferred. :( :p

I too like the art work on the tins but I guess a mason jar is best.

some labels you can cut off and tape on the jars. that suggestion came from my mom when she saw me buy some tins. i told her i jar them up when i open them and she wanted me to send her the empty tins because they are so pretty. :lol:

alfredo_buscatti":madvvpm3 said:
Since 2003, if I open a tin I jar it.
Pretty much the same here.

If the moisture content is a little wet right out of the the tin, I'll dry down the amount to be smoked right there and then and leave it in the tin until it gets more to my preferred level. Then I'll jar it. Works for me.

Cheers,

RR

somedumbjerk":yzobyxfu said:
some labels you can cut off and tape on the jars. that suggestion came from my mom when she saw me buy some tins. i told her i jar them up when i open them and she wanted me to send her the empty tins because they are so pretty. :lol:
With snuff tins you can heat the underside of the top and peal off the label. I attach those to mason jars for long term storage. I haven't tried it to pipe tobacco tins. I may have to give it a shot.

No open tins : when a tin gets opened, the tobacco in it goes immediately into jars.

Three working jars (23/7/365) : Embarcadero, Union Square & FVF.

Anything else is an occasional whim -- usually regretted.

:face:

Seven tins, that I've moved to 4 ounce Mason jelly jars, and (I just went down and counted them to be sure) fifty four jars, mostly eight ounce but a few twelve and sixteen ounce Mason jars. Most contain bulk tobaccos, and about half I dip into at least once a month, the other half perhaps once every six months, or when I'm sending samples to friends.

Natch

I think I have about ten round tins open now. I'm lazy about jarring the 2oz or 50g tins, so I tend to smoke them up but so far nothing has seemed to dry up too much to be unsmokable.

This is a lot of open tins for me, I usually have only five or six open. When I've found a bulk I like I too use mason jars or old peanut butter jars for storage.

I guess I'm disciplined enough for my needs, and ready to pay my own price for when I'm not.

I have been strict with myself and limited it to 4 blends on the go at any time.