Other Passion Hobbies Than Piping... Sharing

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These days I don't get to do even a fourth of what I used to do and still love so much. I work alot and do daddy daycare with my three children, and if I'm lucky I get to do a little pipe making. My hobbies used to include:
Fishing (especially tournements), hunting pheasant and deer, camping, gardening, hiking, bicycling, motorcross, motorhead (i have owned 5 Mustangs and the last one i invested alot of money into and then it was stolen from me and parted out to be sold on ebay and i lost over $13000.00 and many hours of blood sweat and tears, i still miss her :(music (been playing guitar since I was 9), machining and fabricating/engineering, Stone carving (started when I was 16 and still do when someone inquires), pipe smoking (still have time for that and love to try new blends and pipes), pipe making ( still do that as well and hope I will be able to produce at least 30 pipes this year and continue to grow Boulder and Briar handmade pipes). Some of these hobbies I'll never get to do again, but many I will be able to share with my children and enjoy teaching them all of the skills and trades I've learned.
Oh, also wine making. I've done two seasons both with concord grapes fresh off the press, and was taugh by my best friends 80 year old grandpa that had been doing it for over 40 years. Pretty cool when your very first yield is complimented and enjoyed by your mentor and peers. I would like to do it again someday. My best friend is also my neighbor and he yield 80-120 gallons a year of Concord and Catawba so I haven't really had to make my own. You know I could probably keep going now that I think about it. I've done a lot and enjoy much for only being 33 :) one thing I haven't done much of but would like to do is travel. So many beautiful places on this vast planet and I've only seen some of the eastern U.S.
wow, sorry. I talk too much :p

- Painting, mostly watercolour. And digital! I also do a bit of comics and illustration. Something that started as a mere little hobby but I've kinda lost control of it...
- Literature. Reading & researching
- Traditional handicrafts... pretty much anything I get my hands on, but knitting is a constant
- Anime :oops: I'm totally ashamed to admit this one, but I'm a huge geek. According to AniRecDB I've used almost 2 months worth of hours on watching anime, and that doesn't include the copios re-watches. I can't help it. It's an addiction. Sometimes I explain it with learning more Japanese, but in reality I just love it. It fits my immature soul/emotional life - for some reason I'm way more interested in a story about saving the universe together than one about shopping & cheating on your partner
- Bread baking (sourdough)
- Hiking/camping
- Thinking

Have done alot over the years, but these days it's mainly gotten down to just living :twisted:

I have two kids I do not have any hobbies...

Ok just kidding. Kids are getting older so i am finding time to get back into allot of things

Piping, really like wearing a kilt and playing the bagpipes
reading
music
signed up for some fly fishing casting lessons

i love to fish im talking about im awake at 2 am climbing out on a rock pile or fishing in the boat under the bridge for bass.
i recently started to get into the hunting thing.
i play my guitar,solo/band
love to read mostly fiction but it doesnt really matter
my hobbies should inculde house work/yard work but.......the fishing has just started to get good!!

Hobbies?

Don't really consider this a hobby, but I play/compose/record original music. Primarily guitar. But it goes deeper than that. Too much to type, but it's more like a way of life.

I try and stay focused on what means the most to me. So that means my career and my music. Anything more is a distraction.

Cheers,

RR

Homebrewing beer

Coffee - roasting, origin (geographic, cultural, historical), preparation. Don't have the space or money for nice prosumer level espresso machine, so I've focused on the roasting side and relatively inexpensive methods of preparation. My favorites being (in order) the vac pot, french press, drip done right, aero press (inverted).

History - the sights, the accounts, the retelling of old stories

Working outside - a novelty for this desk jockey

Working out - when my allergies allow for it. Same holds true for pipe smoking in that regard.

Making lists.

There are other things I am into, but they don't fall under the realm of hobby.

Geez, I need a hobby.

My job actually qualifies as one for most people. That in itself keeps me from bitching too much about work.

I used to really be into archery, but my bow was stolen and it's not a convenient sport here in DF. No indoor lanes that I know of and all the clubs meet on weekends when I'm busy with...work.

Fly fishing. It's come down to one week a year during the summers.

The bike might be a way to go. I've thought about getting one. I think I will coming up soon.

Working on the house and in the yard
Building flyrods
Fishing
Working out
Bourbon
Reading, just about anything
Soccer-I like watching random matches on TV ,I just like the game.
Tying flies- its almost as relaxing as a pipe to me
BBQ

Reading - I'm a fiction guy...a real sucker for a good spy novel
Studying Medieval History (ok, more of a vocation-to-be than it is a "hobby", but still)
Home Brewing - hops should be its own food group
Sports junkie - particularly soccer/football, college (American) football, baseball, and the Olympics
Cooking
Exploring the wonderful world of Netflix
The occasional video game when I have the time.

Bithchin about work.
Pipes
Carving
Finding good deals!
Video games

Piping and cooking, along with dog-taking-care-of, are my passions. I love my dogs. It's people I can't stand (present company excluded). Dogs are really deep if you can bond with them on a vibe basis. Cooking is a passion for me...love the kitchen and working for hours in it. Piping now occupies my thoughts more than ever. Finding this site and reading the comments of the members and being impressed with the quality of thinking found here. Been to the other sites...not impressed. Here...whole different critter. Really, you guys are the cream of the crop. Even if I have to put up with PD calling my stuff crap. I was pissed, but then went back, calmer, and realized that I was pissed cause he was right. Again, the quality of the comments and the folks behind them...I'm proud to be able to be a member. So this rant was to say my new passion is this site, I spend a lot of time on it cause there is so much to learn and appreciate being here.

Oh, and sharing..that has become a new passion of sorts. Makes you feel good!

...ardent student of History, Religion, and Social Psychology
...music...playing and listening; Classical to Gothic
...Reading
...Cooking
...Family

Backpacking, canoeing and hiking are my first love, (well, second after my wife and daughter). Home brewing, home drinking, burning stumps out of the yard and designing the perfect, small, lightweight stick stove for backpacking also take up some of my not-at-work time. On weekends I usually to go to the local park and chase after groups of little girls and boys, and on weeknights I do the same thing at the local high-schools. For some odd reason I seem to piss-off their parents?!?

Natch

Oh Shoot;
*Backpacking/camping
*Fishing/Hunting
*Piping
*Restoring (Pipes, old lighters, old watches etc.)
*Movies, not a fan of TV but I love a good movie
*Music (Guitar, Mandolin, Piano, Banjo)
*I'm a bit of a freshwater aquarium enthusiast. (About to purchase a 90 gallon tank)
*Gardening
*Cooking
*Water (Canoeing, kayaking, swimming, snorkeling etc.)
*Sports (Hockey, soccer, football, baseball, Just shot hoops today with a bud, but I hate basketball)

That's about it for me...
Zach

pepesdad1":hzz5dhad said:
Oh, and sharing..that has become a new passion of sorts. Makes you feel good!
You are so right! :cheers: