Pellet gun advice?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natch

Geographer Ultimo
B of B Supporter
Reaction score
My old Sharadon pump-up seems to have bitten the dust. As the squirrels are running a muck (and destroying bird feeder after bird feeder) and Shadow the Wonder Pup misses wounded squirrels falling from the sky, I need to get another pellet gun.

I want something that can take a scope (I've got a nice old 4X that isn't being used) is powerful enough to take out squirrels at 50 yards or less, and doesn't cost too much. Also, I want something that can hold the pressure if left for a while. My old rifle was pretty good with 7 or more pumps, but if I left it for a few minutes, it leaked all the pressure. I never owned a CO2 type pellet gun, so I don't know if once the pressure canister is connected, if they leak out over time or not. Single shot is OK, as it's a sitting on the porch for two hours, waiting for one shot type gun, not taking it into the woods type.

Any suggestions or experiences?

Natch

I learned on an old Crossman Silver Streak (I think that´s the name). Powerful gun. Probably dangerous in the hands of a bunch of 7 yearolds, jajaja. Wouldn´t want my son to do what we did....

A 4x scope is perfect- I had one of those on another Crossman and had a blast with it. It had a grooved bar on the top specifically for a scope, but a 4x is plenty. Rabbit, Quail, whatever....

I would reccomend a Gamo shadow 1000. It is a spring powered gun that can achieve 1000 FPS with one cocking action. I regularly take out squirrels at 30-40 yards in one shot with mine

Well we don't use anything smaller than a 7mm Weatherby on the squirrel around these parts.. I screwed up and used a 30-30 on one, damn good thing I had the pistol in my belt and the knife in my boot otherwise I wouldn't be typing this.. That was a hell of a fight.. Lost two dogs, three finger, my right eye, and knocked down the neighbors barn.. But I came out on top.

For those whimpy Arkansas, Yourkansas, and Mykansas squirrel I hear you can't beat a Daisy Pellet gun from Wally Word.. Might have to take one or two back before you get one that shoots where you want it when you want it , but they are cheap and I've always had good luck with them when I've 'hand picked' one..
BUT.. Holding air is another thing altogether.. They've built air release valves or something into these newer ones to protect the children.
I don't know how long they hold but I know its there..

Those CO2 cans will last longer than you'd think but it adds unneeded cost for what your wanting to do.. Before I went that route (and totally dependent upon your surroundings) I might go with a bolt 22 and 22shorts. A 'good' CO2 pellet gun will actually be just as,if not more, powerful ballistically.

Case in point: The post above mine...

22short has an average muzzle velocity (at 10-12 ft) of 1000fps.. About 65-70lbs
I'm to tired to try to do the math of .177 at 1000fps but it won't be much diff.

Another option might be the 22 BB or CB rounds.. Designed for indoor shooting.. Low noise, should still be enough power for what your doing.. I thing the 22BB is just bullet and primer..

puros_bran":26i4zt49 said:
Well we don't use anything smaller than a 7mm Weatherby on the squirrel around these parts.. I screwed up and used a 30-30 on one, damn good thing I had the pistol in my belt and the knife in my boot otherwise I wouldn't be typing this.. That was a hell of a fight.. Lost two dogs, three finger, my right eye, and knocked down the neighbors barn.. But I came out on top.
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Don't know your neighborhood restrictions as to noise or proximity but $150-$250 is the going rate for accurate state of art pellet rifles from Gamo, RWS or Ruger. (www.natchezss.com). An aquaintance has a Gamo and pops the little buggers at 50 yds with no problem.

I had a crossman co2 pellet but the co2 cost was more than the .22 with CB caps or subsonic rounds. I guess PBs squirrels must grow tusks and go 250 lbs to require a 7MM, but you can't shoot them in the "taint" and expect to get away with it,,,,,

If you can find a BSA Magnum Super Sport, I can highly recommend them. It's a barrel cocking single shot and highly accurate with velocities of close to 1k/sec in .177 caliber. I'm not sure if they're imported now as I bought mine about 15 years ago and haven't seen them advertised lately.

Two of the main US air gun suppliers, Compasseco and Pyramyd Air have merged. The Pyarmyd Air site has the best info and reviews. The Gamo Big Cat 1200 (or Whisper if you're concerned about noise)and the Beeman RS2 or the Ruger Air Hawk look to be the best buys. For Christmas, a good friend of mine got the Beeman with two barrels, .177 and .22. I haven't talked with him lately to find out the accuracy but it looked like a well made gun when I saw it.

Here are a couple of links to get youy started--
Compasseco

Pyramyd Air

Jim

if you want a pellet gun that will last a lifetime...........and fit the bill

might i suggest an RWS.

i believe used to be German made. my uncle had one and lent it to me when i was younger.

had a lot of power. no problems burying the pellet deep into wood. no fuzzy animals are safe around this one.

if you dont feel like spending a lot of money............then go with the crossman 760 pumpmaster. cheap plastic stock, but it'll get the job done too. youll have the option of bb's and pellets with that one.

so you have lifetime friend vs cheap possible lifetime friend.

camo

Bought a Gamo Whisper when they first came on the market. Needed something QUIET!!!! Lol. Returned it because it made more noise than my 22's. So for quiet shots I now use sub sonic 22's.
:D

I'm not sure what you're looking to spend but I us an airforce talon ss in .22 cal. It's pricey but VERY Accurate! And quiet enough to use in the back yard.

If you contact sherradan or check around some of the airgun forums you can probably get a new seal kit for that old blue streak for a small fee. Not assuming but have you tried oiling the old seals?

the new 1k spring rifles are ok but can sometimes be a challenge to shoot accuratly due to the reverse rrecoil and they aren't recommended to leave cocked for extended periods.

co2 is good in summer but cold weather takes it's toll on the number of shots.

good luck!

Try safflower in your feeders, after a day the squirrels will leave it alone. They hate the stuff! We've been using the hot pepper suet with pretty good anti squirrel results. :shock:

puros_bran":fw54rkv6 said:
Case in point: The post above mine...

22short has an average muzzle velocity (at 10-12 ft) of 1000fps.. About 65-70lbs
I'm to tired to try to do the math of .177 at 1000fps but it won't be much diff.

Another option might be the 22 BB or CB rounds.. Designed for indoor shooting.. Low noise, should still be enough power for what your doing.. I thing the 22BB is just bullet and primer..
I agree with Brandon the 22 cb has a muzzle velocity of about 850 fps. and sounds like a kernal of pop corn popping plenty of knockdown for a squirrel. I use them for Armadillos. The shell casing is the same size as a 22LR so you will not run into any difficulty wearing out the chamber with the shorter casings. MIKE

pasq0321":semlw1o6 said:
Get another Sheridan. Thats a great pellet gun.
I'd have to agree with this. The sheridans are some excellent pellet rifles. I have a 20+ year old one in .22, and other than needing a new seal kit, still functions great. The repair kits aren't that expensive, I've found them in the $20 range.

Mr. Grimm":n2sa4gda said:
I'm not sure what you're looking to spend but I us an airforce talon ss in .22 cal. It's pricey but VERY Accurate! And quiet enough to use in the back yard.

If you contact sherradan or check around some of the airgun forums you can probably get a new seal kit for that old blue streak for a small fee. Not assuming but have you tried oiling the old seals?

the new 1k spring rifles are ok but can sometimes be a challenge to shoot accuratly due to the reverse rrecoil and they aren't recommended to leave cocked for extended periods.

good luck!
All this is excellant advice. I got pretty heavy into pellet guns a few years back. The AF Talon is a helluva machine and the accuracy is amazing. It is expensive, however. The good news is that when I started cutting back the resale on the Talon's are really good so it only cost me about $150.00 to get a couple years and thousands upon thousands of pellets worth of enjoyment out of it.

I too would check into rebuilding the Sheridan. Those older one in particular were quality pieces that are pretty hard to beat.

I'm down to an RWS Dianna 34 right now. If you're going for a springer I would say that there is nothing better for the price.

As for that old scope: If you end up with a spring gun like the RWS or Gamo's, there is a fair chance that the scope won't last long. Due to the unique recoil action of a spring gun you need a scope that is designed specifically for them.

CO2: You'll have a very hard time finding a CO2 gun with enough uuumph to kill a squirrel HUMANELY at 50 yards. Truth be told, most of the spring guns won't do it either.

Mr. Grimm":rgw2yx02 said:

good luck!
Second on the talon 22 for critters or ditant targets - best gun out there

the new Sheridan with pump is a nice one as well, and will certainly get this job done, as will the gammos...

Not sure if they have a scoe mount now, but they still make the blue streaks...

I currently own to pellet guns. One is a Daystate Harrier...which is a very expensive pre charged pnuematic (which you fill from a scuba cylinder) and the other is an RWS 34. The RWS 34 is an oustanding rifle which you will have for years and it will amaze you at the accuracy. It has plenty of power to control a squirell population and the price is very reasonable. Buy the combo with the scope and mounts included and load it up with Crossman Premieres and you will not have a squirell problem for long. I have looked at friends Gamo's and alot of the current crop of ruger/SW/Crossman springers and they just don't compare to an RWS. It is just a much better made rifle and will last you for years.