Penzance at Peretti's

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did anybody get an order in? I just got one tin of Penzance. I wish I could have swooped up a few for any of you that wanted it but got there too late, but I just didn't have the money in the ol' checkbook at the time. :(

This will be my first try at Penzance, so I'm looking forward to it, but it will probably be awhile until I open the tin as I have a newly opened tin of Durbar that I'd like to use up first.

I snagged a tin, I'm a little light too at the moment or I'd have got a few tins and maybe some Balkan Sobranie too.

I recently tried Penzance for the first time and do like it indeed, but there are others I prefer.

I got two tins but wish I could would have been able to get more as its my favorite. But alas. Was not able to get sobraine.

Great! I'm glad a couple of you were able to get a tin or two. I'm eagerly awaiting the release of Peretti's Thanksgiving Blend... every year I convince myself that I will not be buying it, but then towards the end of October I find myself wanting it... I'm pretty sure they just hypnotized me over the phone when I placed an order. Also thinking of trying their Yule Blend this year when it is released.

I find it interesting that you were interested in two blends which are so much LESS overall than one of Peretii's house blends, Royal Blend, which is FAR BETTER an English/Balkan than either one of those !!

Official Moderator Review: This attempt at trolling was too obvious to win any of the current awards. Not that anyone would want them.

monbla256":6s38tavu said:
I find it interesting that you were interested in two blends which are so much LESS overall than one of Peretii's house blends, Royal Blend, which is FAR BETTER an English/Balkan than either one of those !!
I have not had a chance to try any of their house blends as of yet. I dont get much chance to try any bulk blend for the most part.

monbla256":uzywbmpy said:
You mean, Penzance and Balkan Sobranie? About Penzance, all I can say is curiosity got me. I really don't know what to expect from it, but I felt I had to give it a try since it was finally available at a price I was willing to spend and with all of the hype/ravings about it that I always hear. The Balkan Sobranie was posted as a public service for those that were interested, I'm really not.

Plus, I'm fairly new to the whole Balkan/English thing and am not quite sure how I feel about it yet. I've smoked different bowls of Eng/Balk, but never consistently over a period of time. Right now though, I have been smoking a tin of Durbar, and I really don't know what to think of it yet. I sort of like it enough not to give up on it, but just not sure I will ever be an Eng/Balkan guy. If I change my opinion before I finish the tin, I may move on to Peretti's Royal Blend, as you suggest.

I've tried a few other Peretti blends, and have enjoyed just about everything I've tried from them.

Imo Peretti's Royal Blend is better than Penzance and is one of my all time favorites. I bought the tin of Penzance for gift giving later this year.

I do enjoy Thanksgiving Day quite a lot and still have a pound or so jarred from last fall. But, I do plan to order more when it's available again. Though primarily a Burley, a little time in the jar does it good imo, but I enjoy it when fresh too.

Simple Man":k09g2ckq said:
monbla256":k09g2ckq said:
You mean, Penzance and Balkan Sobranie? About Penzance, all I can say is curiosity got me. I really don't know what to expect from it, but I felt I had to give it a try since it was finally available at a price I was willing to spend and with all of the hype/ravings about it that I always hear. The Balkan Sobranie was posted as a public service for those that were interested, I'm really not.

Plus, I'm fairly new to the whole Balkan/English thing and am not quite sure how I feel about it yet. I've smoked different bowls of Eng/Balk, but never consistently over a period of time. Right now though, I have been smoking a tin of Durbar, and I really don't know what to think of it yet. I sort of like it enough not to give up on it, but just not sure I will ever be an Eng/Balkan guy. If I change my opinion before I finish the tin, I may move on to Peretti's Royal Blend, as you suggest.

I've tried a few other Peretti blends, and have enjoyed just about everything I've tried from them.
If you do get some I think you'll find it one of the BEST English/Balkan style blends ever made! It has a lot of the aspects of the BEST of this style had, BS 759, which sadly is no longer made. I put Peretii right up there as one of the two BEST American blenders next to McClelland's in KC. :twisted: :twisted:

I won't weigh in too heavily on this but I think Penzance is a fine blend. If you can resist the urge to smoke it right away and give it a few years of time to age it really starts to shine. The VA's sweeten nicely and the latakia mellows a bit. With 2-3 years in a jar, the Virginia's perk up & you get a wonderful sweet fermented tobacco aroma when you pop the lid. This is when you want to smoke it.

Penzance is a fine blend.. Is it my personal favorite? No. But it is very good and worth buying as long as you're paying standard retail cost and not second hand gouge-prices...

Royal Blend is great, but don't forget Tashkent. It's great, too, and I highly recommend that one as well.

Agreed!

Thanks for the reminder, I need to get some Tashkent ordered as I'm just about out.

Penzance tins and bags are at Cup O' Joes...

EDIT: Wow! That post on FB was almost 2 hours ago apparently, they may be gone. Seems like it is once again in stock at the major e-tailers though, so keep an eye out of you missed it.

Tashkent is ridiculous.... I don't mind Penzance etc but I agree that Peretti have their own star attractions... some of the best tobaccos I've ever had. D-9575 is amazing too, light in lat, but what a superb mix.

For my tobacco dollar the best thing Peretti's does is their Burley blends. One of my favorites is 333 which is a better Edgeworth...likely the best. Plus, they make a couple blends that out-Lakeland nearly anything done by team Gawith. Now that's a little weird...but very tasty.

No one does burley quite like Peretti. They've got some great recipes that's for sure.

As far as Tashkent goes, hands down one of my all time favorite Englishes. I like it better than their Royal Blend. I agree, Oriental 40 is fantastic too.

Blackhorse":p5vo7e1i said:
Plus, they make a couple blends that out-Lakeland nearly anything done by team Gawith. Now that's a little weird...but very tasty.
Ha ha which blends are those? :scratch: