Penzance higher than P$C

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fr Tom, I cannot agree with you more. Why on earth would anyone pay this high a price for a product that can be purchased from P&C for less? I could understand if this was a person not from the USA as P&C does ñot ship internationally, but neither does this Ebay Seller.

You just can't fix stupid I guess.

Northern Neil":ifq77omi said:
Fr Tom, I cannot agree with you more. Why on earth would anyone pay this high a price for a product that can be purchased from P&C for less? I could understand if this was a person not from the USA as P&C does ñot ship internationally, but neither does this Ebay Seller.

You just can't fix stupid I guess.
If you're stupid, buy it from Ebay. If you're lazy, buy it from P&C.  ;)

If it costs MORE it is BETTER we all know that  :twisted: :twisted:

"there's a sucker born every minute" P.T.Barnum

It's all about the "want it now" mentality. I could go on about Marshall McLuhan selling the sizzle, but nevermind -- the patient pay retail and the impatient are more than willing to pay double  :lol: 

I've been tracking Penzance on Ebay for a while. It will regularly get over $100 and sometimes in the $175 range for an 8oz. It's absolutely ridiculous that someone would want THAT blend that bad. I have a theory that it's the name as much as anything.  

I bought a 8oz bag a few weeks ago from my B&M with the "investment" side of things in mind. I plan on keeping it for years and see if I can put my tween through college sometime in 2024.  :lol!: With age, it is one of the few out there that actually increases in value.  I'm dumbfounded at what is so special for it to be the next Balkan Sobraine, but hey, cool.

Fr_Tom":6tpcbozi said:
Check this out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Esoterica-Penzance-/271342296530

$63 + $6 shipping w/ 4 days left on the auction!

The guy does have some other interesting things in his store - a lot of 29 tins of FVF, etc.

Looks quite like this guy is in it for the profit and not a pipe smoker.

nonono2.gif

Cheers?

RR

it kinda makes me want to send a message to ebay saying he is selling tobacco, but then I figure it's not hurting me any

derlict311":guhbsofg said:
I've been tracking Penzance on Ebay for a while. It will regularly get over $100 and sometimes in the $175 range for an 8oz. It's absolutely ridiculous that someone would want THAT blend that bad. I have a theory that it's the name as much as anything.
Well if S#&t ever hits the fan for me financially, hopefully you guys will forgive me for throwing my Penzance stash up on FleaBay for eager suckers to buy. I was doing the same thing, tracking sales of certain tobaccos a while back. One Stonehaven bidding war ended at 236.00 and a Penzance sale ended at 120.00+. That was about 3 months ago when there was no signs of any Esoterica inventory at any of the retail shops.

I don't know if this will make any difference to anybody, but I'll report this because I read the following in another pipe forum. The guy selling those lots of tins posted that he was forced to quit smoking for health reasons, so he's selling off all his tobacco (and said he's throwing in tobaccos that he has jarred in what he sells, too).

JimInks":990zn3f2 said:
I don't know if this will make any difference to anybody, but I'll report this because I read the following in another pipe forum. The guy selling those lots of tins posted that he was forced to quit smoking for health reasons, so he's selling off all his tobacco (and said he's throwing in tobaccos that he has jarred in what he sells, too).  
I don't think there's a problem with the seller, I think that just most of us are standing back watching in amazement and, none of it seems to be even aged for any length of time.
Kinda like "A fool and his money are soon departed" thing. Although that's just my opinion seeing I'm a cheap poor bastard. LOL!

Cartaphilus":0exe8p48 said:
JimInks":0exe8p48 said:
I don't think there's a problem with the seller, I think that just most of us are standing back watching in amazement and, none of it seems to be even aged for any length of time.
Kinda like "A fool and his money are soon departed" thing. Although that's just my opinion seeing I'm a cheap poor bastard. LOL!
I'm gonna have to agree with both of your points, especially the last one!!! LOL!  :D 

You know of course that it takes one to know one!  ;)  I wouldn't pay those prices either.

Another prime example of eBay "exuberance!! I have an older pkg. of Penzance that would finance my next vacation at these prices!! I'm amazed at what tobaccos people will buy just because some seller says its no longer available or the packaging is somehow valuable. Just how valuable is the tinfoil holding that Penzance?? Bullsheetsky!! eBays disclaimer about it's "not the contents," it's all about the package is total BEE-EES!!! Sellers put up tins anyone can easily buy at any B&M or eTailer. They claim it's no longer available because of the date on the package, etc., etc. All BS!! The sellers are selling tobacco on eBay and there is obviously a large group of very ignorant buyers who don't know any better!!! :suspect: Oh well, enough of my ranting!! FTRPLT

On the one hand, I'm not a huge fan of Penzance. I love a good English or Balkan, but I can think of a half-dozen offhand that I like more than Penzance and even more that I think are as good.

But why the befuddlement at the high prices? Some people obviously can't get it cheaper. Bear in mind, not everyone can lurk around their computers and then win the race to one of the first folks to call P&C or 4Noggins and actually score some. When something is rare and in high demand, it'll fetch a high price. I sold four 2 oz tins through E-bay in the last couple of weeks, two for $50 each and then two for $60! I've also had some Stonehaven go for $120 a pack. But those wren't even the big surprises -- I got $73 for a tin of Durbar! As a side note, though, all of those tins ended up going to some guy in China, where many of these tins probably aren't distributed at all.

As expensive as tins can be, I don't find it as befuddling as some. As these prices, the tobacco is probably competitive with top-of-the-the cigars if you compare them on a smoke-to-smoke basis (one cigar equals one smoke one bowl equals one smoke). Heck, a cigarette smoker can easily go through $50 to $60 a week (more depending on where they live). When you look at it from that perspective, it doesn't seem like that outrageous a deal at all…

selling tobacco on Ebay , is against the rules, and some vermin who only buys it to resell to stupid people on ebay makes it harder for the people who want to purchase it to smoke it

Well... A pack of cigarettes has about as much real tobacco in it as... there is no real tobacco in cigarettes. Unless you RYO.

So... A pack of cigs costs about $0.25 to make probably.

Our pipe tobacco prices are all tax that imposed on the blender. A pound of leaf tobacco is dirt cheap. Cut it up and POW! It's taxed.

Overcharging for the prepackaged product (not bulk) in a retail setting is just crappy.

Maybe the price hike is P&C's way of creating social media buzz! It's working... isn't it great?!

I see NO problem with people who sell packaged tobacco on eBay.
They can ask anything they want for it and no one is twisting anybodies arm to purchase it at that price or to bid stupid money on it. I DON'T sell or have I ever sold tobacco tins etc. on eBay but, if for some reason I should quit smoking a pipe I would sell it and look for the best price I could get for it. That's only the smart thing to do. It does, at times peeve me off a little when hoarders buy up all there is only to sell it but, I reckon that's there right if the retailer is willing to sell that kind of quantities to them.
There are even sellers of new pipes on eBay asking more then retail for them and that's there right, I don't have to purchase them. Nowadays you have to be a wise shopper and do your research. The public has got to be educated to stop the gougers, if more would research prices and alternative places to shop to find better pricing those sellers gouging would be near nonexistent.

Although if they should ever disappear I wouldn't be able to have my little chuckle now and then.

I'm happy to see more and more vendors starting to limit customer orders on hard to get blends.

This practice better enables more of us to get a hold of a tin/bag or two of a favorite or something we'd like to try.