Peterson pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pasq0321

Reaction score
I was thinking of purchasing one of Peterson's pipes, but being new to the hobby, I thought I would see what the community thought of their pipes. Specifically I was looking at one of the Shannon models or possible the ones that accept the 9mm filters. Any advice?

Good pipes for the dough.. Arguable some of the best pipes for the dough..

P-lip stems seem to be a love/hate thing so you might want to avoid them until you have a bigger rotation.
I have a hadnful of them, I imagine most guys on here do...

I have an old Peterson DeLuxe, I love it. I put a rubber bite on it, but then again, i have rubber bites on all my pipes just because I like the chewy comfort.

I like Petes. Search around this board for advice on how to remove the stain from inside the bowl before you get to smoking a lower-end one.

Probably a good idea to avoid filter pipes until you've gotten a good handle on smoking technique with a regualr pipe.

(Some folk'll tell you just avoid filter pipes, period.)

There is a large group of dedicated Peterson pipe addicts on the different forums for sure. You rarely ever hear anything negative about them.

The entire pipe is varnished or whatever they coat it with. Meaning, it's even inside the bowl. You can fight to get through their pre-coat, to the varnish and somehow get it out, or just leave it and fight with a (in my opinion) with a bad tasting pipe for maybe a dozen full bowls, after your break in. Peterson's also seem to take longer to break in, I think.

That being said. I have four Pete's and one of them (my smooth Malahide) is in the five pipes I usually gravitate too. It smokes wonderfully now that I've gotten past my initial dislikes about it.

Bottom line, Pete's are wonderful, but it it doesn't seem right at first, try powering through it and you'll have a great friend.

Take a look at Stanwell also. They make a huge variety of shapes/styles, and may be less idiosyncratic than the Peterson's.

Some of them were dip-stained, but that's an easy fix.

Aside from the DS one I got new, the other 20 or so (all "estates") have been decided favorites -- some given to board friends in need of good smokers.

:face:

Dip stain is easy to remove...

Get 3 fifth of Bacardi..
sip on it as you smoke the first 30 smokes or so.. you'll have that dip stain out in no time.

Or get a half pint bacardi and some paper towel.. combine the two. Rub the interior. Let dry.. repeat until your paper towel comes out uncolored..
use bristle cleaners and q tips to carry the process out on the shank. Takes a scratching and a slopping to clean up the mess on the shank area due to inability to scrub like you can in the bowl...

Have one, small straight billiard w/ fishtail bit. Good pipe. Not great, but darn good for the money I paid. Only gripe is the bowl coating, vulcanite stem and the bit is a little thicker than I would like, but overall an excellent pipe.

I just put it up for trade in the trading section w/ a few others. I'm getting rid of it because there is no room for it in my rotation with the 20 some odd other pipes. It was a toss up between the Pete and a Stanwell, I decided to keep the Stanwell and give the Pete up since the Stanwell button is a little more comfortable, has an acrylic stem and I smoke it's dedicated blend more often. "Objectively" speaking though, I think the Pete was the nicer pipe of the two.

There is generally more than enough meat in a cast stem's bit to allow for home-made tweaking.

Probably depends on whether you like to play with stuff.

:face:

I have a Peterson Killarney - it was my second pipe, and I like it, but I would prefer it to be without the varnish. I also have a peterson army model 999 which I like much better - it's in the running for my favorite pipe. Then there are my two Pete seconds - a billiard and a bent billiard. I like the straight pipe a lot - nice thick walls etc. The bent just never clicked with me some how. For the price, though, the Peterson seconds are a good deal. Right now I'm waiting for a couple pete's to come in stock to order. I really hate waiting... Good luck - Give a Peterson a try.

Good value. I´ve had a couple and they´ve gotten to be good smokers, but it´s taken a while. My two complaints are the draft it to narrow and the coating in the bowl. They really take a while to get the "new" out. The system pipes are a great piece of history and worth having one for their novelty. I am not fond of the P-lip, but the fishtails are good.

Over the years I have enjoyed many Peterson pipes and can honestly say that some of my best smokers and finest grained pipes are Pete's. If you are a collector you would want to focus on the higher grades for the best grain. If you are just looking for a good smoke any grade will do. Like Dunhill pipes, the long history of this company will give you years of enjoyable collecting possibilities. And I would agree with the majority that they can be tough to break in but once you do you'll have a friend for life.
Doc

I concur with my esteemed colleagues. I'm actually smoking a Pete right now. Though I prefer the Pesaro school, Peterson's are a good, safe bet, and as has been said, they are value buys. You get your money's worth.

:farao:

-2.jpg

Apologies to those who've seen this pic before; I love 'em all, but I love my Pete's the most!! And I love the P-lip; in fact, the only Peterson's I have with a fishtail bit is a Mycroft from the Sherlock Holmes collection. and I've toyed with having the stem replaced on that one!

I haven't seen the photo before and thanks for sharing. Great selection of petes for sure. I can see they are thoroughly enjoyed. Nice rotation
Doc