pipe sightings in pop culture

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
This type thread probably won't get a lot of use, but it can be fun to spot and share. If you see a pipe, or any item that relates to us here, in a TV show, movie, photo, or anywhere else, post about it.

This week on Million Dollar Listing LA on Bravo (season 8, episode 9 "All Cash Chaos"), Josh Flagg was visiting his parents. Their home was recently redecorated, and as they were panning the new interior, they showed a 20-24 pipe rack. It was a clear, relatively long shot on it, too. The top row was all old upper grade Charatans and Danish freehands, while the entire bottom row was Castellos. A nice collection of a sharp smoker.

Tarantino's new flick will be out at Christmas time, and it looks like pipe smoking will be featured.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gnRbXn4-Yis" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Dutch":jadik0ke said:
Tarantino's new flick will be out at Christmas time, and it looks like pipe smoking will be featured.....

Might watch it someday, but I won't pay a cent to see one of his movies.   :evil:

Hermit":4w3aq85p said:
Dutch":4w3aq85p said:

Might watch it someday, but I won't pay a cent to see one of his movies.   :evil:
why's that, herm?

Hermit":qnwkk3vm said:
Dutch":qnwkk3vm said:

I agree that he should keep his nose out of politics, but my guess is that it's simply a calculated move to generate press right before the release of the new movie.

Thought I'd try and bring this thread back on topic. I know this is not the norm here but here goes!! :twisted: :twisted: Here's a pic of the French actor Jean Gabin as Inspector Maigret in one of the Maigret movies.

Blackhorse":le64qric said:
I thought the topic was POP culture?

1) It's old. Strike one.
2) It's foreign. Strike two.
3) It's FRENCH! Strike three!

Yer outta there!

Good try though.
One: It's French and they have defined pop culture for years
Two: No one said it had to be domestic only
Three: nothing was said about it having to be current !!

I'm baaack :twisted: :twisted:

Excellent if I say so  :twisted: :twisted: BTW my family is from France by way of Canada on my fathers side so alls well with French things :twisted: :twisted:

The French...have defined POP culture for years? WHAT pop culture? The pop culture of Quebec doesn't really count...except to those living there...and likely not much then.

But OK, I'll give you that one.

(Like, for the years 1788 - 1799.)

Other than that, French pop culture doesn't count for diddly squat in the real world.

Blackhorse":5898v5uu said:
The French...have defined POP culture for years?  WHAT pop culture?  The pop culture of Quebec doesn't really count...except to those living there...and likely not much then.

But OK, I'll give you that one.  

(Like, for the years 1788 - 1799.)

Other than that, French pop culture doesn't count for diddly squat in the real world.
Lest we forget the MOST important thing the French gave us - BRIAR PIPES !! :twisted: :twisted: " .... If you see a pipe, or any item that relates to us here, in a TV show, movie, photo, or anywhere else, post about it." :twisted: :twisted:

Pop culture you say?

Any of the Lord of the Rings/ Hobbit movies.....

Pretty poppy now, for sure, though I often wonder what exactly they are smoking in those wizard pipes........

Well, I don't wonder too much......

Professor X, Ultimate X-Men, The Tommorow People, Volume 4.   Looks like an Ardor for sure  :cheers:    Dark Flake Scented, I know this because it's the only one strong enough to make a man delusional enough to believe he has telepathy and telekinesis when in actuality he's a gimp in a wheel chair. (Quit being all offended, yeah you. Quit pretending you didn't think it. I know you did.. I have telepathy)  :cheers:  

Ozark Wizard":ig4af351 said:
Pop culture you say?

Any of the Lord of the Rings/ Hobbit movies.....

Pretty poppy now, for sure, though I often wonder what exactly they are smoking in those wizard pipes........

Well, I don't wonder too much......
Considering Tolkien was a pipe smoker and a devout Catholic, I'm pretty sure the Wee fellows pipes were filled with something akin a good burley.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kPM-kR7AtoU" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Time Team was a British show that lasted some 20 seasons starting in the early 1990s -- each episode shows a three day archeological dig, ranging from the Paleolithic to recovering a lost Spitfire lost in France in 1940 and another recovering a US bomber that crashed in a marsh in 1944 (the episode after the one posted, but I don't think there's any pipe smoking in that one) and everything in between.  I really recommend the series.  Every once in a while, a British piper can be seen puffing away in the background for a few seconds, like in this episode at 38:45.  I posted this one also because I know there are a few metal workers here, and along with attempt to find a settlement or structure associated with a Roman bath house they show how the Romans smelted iron

The pipe has caused many to contemplate entering politics and the movie industry.....