pipe sightings in pop culture

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hermit":zpaqegxn said:
Bugsahearn":zpaqegxn said:
Hermit":zpaqegxn said:
Dutch":zpaqegxn said:
Tarantino's new flick will be out at Christmas time, and it looks like pipe smoking will be featured.....

Might watch it someday, but I won't pay a cent to see one of his movies.   :evil:
why's that, herm?
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/10/30/quentin-tarantino-dad-says-son-dead-wrong-calling-police-murderers/
I don't know. Fox News as a source? No, but really. I heard the direct quote, and its context, and then a conversation between Tarantino and Maher on Real Time with Bill Maher this week about it. Suffice to say, he's calling a murder a murder. He wasn't calling all cops murderers. The point was about murder, not cops. Feel free to watch the discussion for yourself: https://youtu.be/xDHJADECk7s

puros_bran":3ieuir8k said:
What about ole what's his name on that one show...

free photo upload
Cullen Bohannan as played by Anson Mount in Hell on Wheels. One season he was smoking a pipe (meerschaum I think ) thet he took off the frozen body of a railroad egineer

Fargo, season 2, episode 7, "Did You Do This? No, You Did It!"

The matriarch (Floyd, Jean Smart), while in for police questioning, pulled out a blasted Peterson 309 and poorly packed it and struggled to keep it lit, match after match. It was a funny twist for the character and scene.

Mickey Rourke played a tattoo artist who smoked a pipe in The Expendables.....

I watched a film over the Christmas break called The Riddle of the Sands, starring Michael York and Simon McCorkindale. These two fine chaps were yachtsman who, whilst exploring the German coast in 1901, foil a German plot to land barges on the East coast of Blighty in order to invade the UK.

Davies (McCorkindale) as a previous non smoker is gifted what looks to be a Petersen early on in the film and from that point onwards he's rarely seen without it.

A dreamy film of stiff upper lip in the face of adversity, on an old school sailing adventure, with enough pipeage to satisfy most BoBers.

Recommended!

A lot of pipe smoking in the Biopic "Che" about, naturally, Che Guevara. Benicio del Toro plays Che in this 4 hour movie and he smokes a pipe quite often, along with, of course, cigars and the occasional cigarette. Other revolutionaries also can be seen smoking a pipe as well.

It's funny, in the hills of Cuba, where you'd only expect cigars to be smoked, you see pipes, too. When they're in the mou8ntains of Bolivia, I think the pipes get more screen time(!)

It's kind of amzing to see so much pipe smoking in such a movie. Benicio del Toro is an actor I like, and he plays this character as close to the hipster iconic T-shirt symbol as possible. Very sympathetic character, which is to say, not so close to the real Che Guevara, who was in reality a mass murderer, executioner, racist, Fidel's right arm man who helped set up a totalitarian government worse than the one he helped topple.

But I digress. The film WAS very entertaining, and I've watched it several times, only the last time just a few nights ago I was keyed in on the pipes. It might be worth it just for that alone!

I believe Kurt Russell is smoking a Mastro De Paja in The Hateful Eight, and Samuel L Jackson is smoking a cherry wood of some sort.  The props department dropped the ball a little bit there with a Mastro De Paja and the time period, but oh well.

large image, but you can see the stem and mark well:
http://rack.1.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDE1LzEyLzE2Lzk2L2t1cnQucnVzc2VsLmE0M2EwLnBuZwpwCXRodW1iCTEyMDB4NjI3IwplCWpwZw/0ec4985a/40e/kurt.russell.jpg

smaller image of the whole pipe:
3.jpg