Pipe Smoking Perfected

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puffy

Reaction score
I suppose I shouldn't tell on myself..But..Just in case there's a young pipe smoker reading pipe smoking boards like this one who gets the idea that some day he will have everything perfected..I will soon be smoking pipes for fourty years.I still drop tobacco in my lap when I fill my pipe.When I get up it falls in the floor,and I have to bend over and pick it up.Then there's those shirts with holes burned in them that I won't mention here.Or those broken shanks in pipes that I dropped.Maybe pipe smoking can be perfected,but probably not by me.

There was this one sublime moment when I really thought I had it all figured out, my technique perfected, all things in alignment. Right about then, I sneezed, right through the stem, and blew hot ash and tobacco all over myself. It was then that I was re-reminded that don't know squat.

Best part: my wife saw the whole thing. She still brings it up, now and then, when I get cocky or full of myself. :D

Then it seems I've achieved some mastery for a pipeman of my youth. Began in 2001; teaching myself without even a book, charring my tongue, and using chapstick as a tamper. Glad I eventually broke down and started using the Internet. I've got two old pajamas with holes burnt in the krotch, thankfully that's all. Keep it burnin', new guys. If a young man ever sticks with just one thing in his life, the slacker ought to make it pipe smoking.

Here's to your 40th.

I started in 1975 for something to do while serving as OOD and had to stay up all night. If I wasn't stubborn by nature I'd have quit within the first few weeks.

My calculator sez that's somewhere around 50,000 bowls ago.

Enjoy it now more than ever, and still discover something new every day.

Aren't pipes and tobacco amazing?

I had spilled tobacco in my lap today, and my truck, where I smoke a lot has bits of it all over the floor mat. In the beginning I was so distracted by trying to achieve the perfect smoke, that I think it detracted from the enjoyment of it. It does get better.

Steve

Trout Bum":v0yu3hog said:
There was this one sublime moment when I really thought I had it all figured out, my technique perfected, all things in alignment. Right about then, I sneezed, right through the stem, and blew hot ash and tobacco all over myself. It was then that I was re-reminded that don't know squat.

Best part: my wife saw the whole thing. She still brings it up, now and then, when I get cocky or full of myself. :D
Ditto TB, Yea I know, There is always something somewhere in here that throw you a curve ball when less expected!
I think that is the true beauty of this pass time.
There are real GURU's on this board and I don't think even they have all the answers yet!!!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I'm thinking that after 41 years of practice I've just about got it down perfect. But them my age, shaking hands, lack of coordination, poor eyesight, slow reaction times, and other associated maladies of aging kick in and take me back to the ineptness of my youth. So perhaps perfection isn't possible in a typical human lifetime as we don't live long enough to get there?

So, grasshopper, perhaps it is the journey that we should enjoy, rather than the anticipation of arriving?

Qui Chang Natch

Natch":0rgz6a1w said:
I'm thinking that after 41 years of practice I've just about got it down perfect. But them my age, shaking hands, lack of coordination, poor eyesight, slow reaction times, and other associated maladies of aging kick in and take me back to the ineptness of my youth. So perhaps perfection isn't possible in a typical human lifetime as we don't live long enough to get there?

So, grasshopper, perhaps it is the journey that we should enjoy, rather than the anticipation of arriving?

Qui Chang Natch
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I've got pipe smoking while sitting in a chair down but I've never been comfortable smoking a pipe while working or puttering about. I can smoke a cigar while doing just about anything naturally and not think twice about it. I wish pipes came that naturally but they just seem to get set down and forgotten. :shock:

The hole I burned in my favourite jeans - apart from those in T-shirts - is testament to how well I'm doing.

It will be a very long road before I even think I have things down to a science with pipe smoking. Three weeks ago I was outside cutting wood and my Peoria Canadian Sitter must have been bumped while I was working in the woods.. I put it in my mouth and held the bit of the stem in my mouth while trying to turn the pipe aright. Snap...
Oh well it is a shorter Canadian right now after hack sawing and file work and steel wool and sandpaper.. I was lucky not to cut my mouth .. Just had many pieces of stem to spit out.. Felt pretty smart holding a broken stem in my mouth trying to finish up a good smoke.. :scratch: