Pipes and Cigars Bulk Favorites

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfredo_buscatti

Reaction score
I don't have any, but I would like to. Can you recommend, and if so, why? I'm partial to VA/Perique and Oriental but would like something other than Izmir. If the Oriental has latakia, light or moderate.

My favorite VaPer of theirs is AJs VaPer, very tasty. A lot of people really like Anniversary Kake as well, me included, but I prefer AJs.

For an Oriental blend Daybreak is pretty close to Dunhill's Early Morning pipe, but Magnum Opus (which they do have in bulk but it is more expensive) is really the ticket. It is an extremely balanced and complex smoke - I think it does have Izmir but also a few more Or varieties (including Yenidje). Magnum Opus is something every pipe smoker should try, IMO.

Virginia Spice is a wonderful all day smoke. Daybreak, Magnum Opus, Louisiana Red, Anniversary Kake, AJ VaPer, and Rolando's Own are all very good smokes.

Steamroller is a bulk blend of theirs that that you may want to try. Basically a Va-Bur mix but with alot added to that base. There's some perique as well as some latakia, but neither seems to ever come to the fore, at least not for me; but they both add some bottom or weight or whatever. I don't say complexity because the flavour layers, if you'll indulge that metaphor for a moment, aren't really stratified in a clearly discernable way; it's not a smoke that's going to wander through different flavour profiles, rather the taste is consistantly good Va-Bur that's got a nice big bottom (think Spinal Tap). There's also some plain black cavendish which I think binds everything together at the same time as it provides for a remarkably smooth smoke. Finally there's a sweet topping that reminds me a little bit of Carter Hall - sort of table sugar sweet rather than brown sugar. It's not overdone at all, but it's there. I enjoy Steamroller much as I do OTCs like SWR, CH, PA and Sugar Barrel - a great smoke when I just wanna puff and not think too much about what I'm smoking but still enjoy a nice smoke. Perfect for futzin' round in the workshop for me. It's marketed as a strong nicotine blend but I didn't find that too true; on a par with something like FVF I'de say. Not too slim but no heavyweight either.

Black House is of course excellent, and sold in bulk form as well, but it's a fuller latakia blend and as such maybe not what you're looking for. But it is very good...as well.

I just finished a tin of Virginia Spice. I like it! Like JimInks said, nice all day smoke.

If you decide to buy some bulks, get the bulk sampler. The bulk prices are $4.94 an oz but, if you get the sampler you get 2 oz of each for about 50 cents more. That's what I did. I got AJ's vaper, Anni. Kake, Ambassador, Armada, Larry's blend, and Virginia Spice. 12 oz for $33. I also threw in some Black House, Magnum Opus and Sweet & Savory. While I was there I also had to try Butternut Burley and some Old Red.

I just ordered them on Sat., with the free ground shipping they should go out today. I'll prolly get them next week (you know how slow UPS can be). :roll:

Looks like you will be buying your smoke from the new owner of P&C from now on. International Cigar bought 'em out. They moved to the state of PA. It sounds like Russ stayed on.
Now the New Yawkers can order from P&C without getting hit with all the taxes. Maybe now I can place an order and they will have it in stock and get it right but I ain't holding my breath.