Pipes by Maksim Nazarenko

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Though I don't care for the two exalted freehands you've posted (though I note the first is marked as sold at Quality Briar-great!), the shapes you've created are inimitable. I like this shape better though I couldn't say why, but as a pipe my biggest complaint is that the shank and stem might have been connected in a more fluid manner. As it is there is no shank and the stem seems to be inserted into the sculpture as an afterthought. 

Gorgeous finishing! Not for me, but someone is going to buy this in a hurry!

I am surprised that this thread got to 5 pages before I noticed it. It was really fun to go back through everything and treat it like a gallery...with various guys I know strolling by the various exhibits, with their various comments. All in all very interesting.

Comment to the artist: You might know the phrase "casting pearls before swine". (lol)

I have questions :

1. You're very gracious in your responses, certainly a gentleman. Your measured words give evidence to support that you might approach your art in the same manner...and I was wondering if that was the case. When I make something I often get the media in hand, grab my tools and just start in, designing as I go. I guess this relates more to your Freehand. But do you sit down and consciously design something like that wildly complex Freehand you posted last? Or do you start in without much of an idea as to how it will end up...letting the materials guide you?

2. It could be my imagination, but I see what I would call 'influences' in your work...Steven Downie, Mark Tinsky, several Italian lines such as Radice and Ardor with their excellent approaches to classical shapes...intending this as a compliment to be sure. But that's just me. The question is - do you admit to any specific sources in terms of design influence?

That's it. Just two. And I do have to say that you certainly do know your way around a blaster! My God man, those blasts are absolutely drool fostering.

Thanks for joining us. It's our pleasure.

You might want to rethink the combination of cliche and insult, the former, as you know, decidedly unoriginal and the latter, for maximum effectiveness, requiring it. Cliche is deprived meaning while the best insults zing. In your formulation “swine” delivers the punch yet the pearls that they cannot recognize have already been used in endless profusion by former writers and speakers, leaving a little of their meaning behind in each utterance.

Not all objects are best rendered by a design wherein form follows function, but pipes, in my estimation, are, as they are inevitably tied to the function of smoking tobacco. The longstanding discussion of whether, having acquired a stellar artisan pipe, one will smoke it, usually pertains to an object that is recognizably a pipe, being composed of a wider bowl to hold the tobacco and the smaller, relatively straight shank, a tunnel for the smoke, which devolves into a stem, which allows the pipe to enter the mouth. 

The form of pipes is directly tied to their function in a way that does not pertain to sculpture, which the two of Mr. Nazarenko’s exalted freehands more properly are. Yes they are pipes but that function is subordinate to the design. In my opinion if he wants the freedom of expression of modern art he should produce that, not confusing it with a pipe.

A compromise might be to fashion a very short mouthpiece. Then our eyes can remain with the pipe sculpture and not be confused by something other, the stem, stuck into its side as an afterthought.

Finally this is all a matter of opinion, in this case mine. No one who appreciates pipes will not appreciate Mr. Nazarenko’s artistry and ability. His two blowfish, recently posted, are exquisite. They break the rules of classic design in a very appealing way. It’s just me, but I find these convoluted freehands fall squarely within his aesthetic, which is probably exactly what he intended.

I suppose I should comment.  Oink, oink!

I said execution and his esthetic were there.  It just wasn't my cuppa. That remains correct.

Along with our founders, I find Georgian preferable to the Rococo of the same period.  I'm moderately catholic as to art but do have my preferences.  Maybe it is my Midwestern naivety or seeing too much Van der Rohe on the skyline.

I do have a friend who is exhibited at MOMA.  Sadly, he's heaved no pearls my way.  Something to hope for.  Large-round-naturals preferred.

Thanks to alfredo for his critical analysis. As my training is mostly grounded in the graphic arts, metalsmithing and metal sculpture I suppose I've had more experience with pearls than porcine husbandry. Be that as it may, the appreciation and interpretation of art and much of design is thankfully an arena in which standards can be individual. Me...I love items that are commonly objects of everyday use, made into objects d'art by a phenomenal artisan. Be it a Cellini salt cellar, a Revere silver service, a Nakashima table or bench, a Tiffany lamp...etc., etc., etc. Is a Faberge gold and enamel cigarette case of lesser merit than one of aluminum with Riz-La stamped into the side?

Well, as has been said, it's a very personal call. And unlike many other forum areas, the posters here have all been careful to note that their stated preferences are just that. So kudos to fellow posters for that.

I'm sure that someone will come back to correct me for some subtle nuance of understanding or expression. I guess we all have our calling. For me....I have a set of twin daggers and an Olivewood pipe both calling to me from the bench in my studio...so I gotta go.

Elegant response to critical acclaim, BH.  ;)

I agree on the Nakashima table most of all.  The natural elegance is so apparent. So simple you always know you are missing something even more.

Hello, Everyone!
First of all, I’d like to beg your pardon for the delay in reply: unfortunately, I don’t have permanent Internet access. I’d also like to apologize for my English: it is not my native language, so I am not able to catch all the “ intonations” of your utterances  … and I can’t fully express all my thoughts.

Gramnum1, JKenP, Blackhorse, Alfredo-Buscatti, Brewdude, Pepesdad1,
Thank you for your good comments.
I am sorry that my publication provoked some conflict. I’d like my pipes bring you joy and pleasure only.

Mr. Alfredo_Buscatti,
It’s a pity, the stem of freehand has such an effect on you.  This detail was thought over initially to be made in such way as I made it. In my opinion, this stem fits into all composition absolutely. If one makes connection between a shank and a stem, as you say , “in a more fluid manner”, it will change geometry of the pipe completely, it would be a quite different pipe. Nevertheless, I do appreciate your attention to my pipes and your opinion, although it is differs from mine. This thread was opened exactly because I want to hear different opinions and not to be obsessed with my own one and not be cycled in my vision.
Majority of freehands is a compromise between the idea of artisan and function of the pipe. All the shapes of a pipe as a smoking instrument were invented before us, long ago. As to my freehands ( there are not so many of them), before I make finishing, I check each of them  “on my tooth” if it is comfortable. By this I try not to rush to art completely, neglecting a direct purpose of a pipe.  Pipe-makers study art, but APPLIED ART.

“The form of pipes is directly tied to their function in a way that does not pertain to sculpture, which the two of Mr. Nazarenko’s exalted freehands more properly are. Yes they are pipes but that function is subordinate to the design. In my opinion if he wants the freedom of expression of modern art he should produce that, not confusing it with a pipe.”
I can’t agree with you. Just look at freehand which became classic: Ramses and Cavalier. Made by some of recognized artisans,  they are so far from its function (smoking), that looking at them I can’t even imagine how they could be smoked. But this fact does not reduce its artistic value and aesthetic appeal.
To summarize this discussion, I’d like to confess: in my opinion (and people who know me closely can confirm this), the most perfect, difficult and interesting in making shape is a billiard. If it were my decision I would make billiards only. Unfortunately, there is not so many pipemakers and smokers who understand this shape completely. It is very difficult and interesting to make the work of art keeping within strict limits of the shape.

Mr. Blackhorse,
Thank you.   I do try to be measured and careful in my words and utterances. I think it is precondition of respectful treatment to people.
It is hard to note some specific school and names of artisans who had some “influence” on me and on what I am doing. To some degree, all of us interact against each other. Our subconsciousness absorbs and collects information, and our consciousness sometimes surprises us.  Before I've started making the pipes, I’d made close study of the pipes of old Danish artisans.
I have two ways of “delivering” freehand: I could take a piece of briar and see a pipe in it. This happened with 1223 Sandblasted Horn (page 1).  And the second way:  an image of a pipe occurs in my head, then I draw it and after that I think over its engineering. When I think that the main conception is ready, I start working with material.

Maksim:

You are a gentleman, an accomplished artist, an exceptional artisan, and clearly a quality human being.

I am saving my money so I can purchase one of your AMAZING pipes!!!!!

Keep on carvin'!

Doody

Your language is very understandable.  Not a problem.

There are so many varations on art that may or may not be a persons favorite.  Yet, it isn't hard to tell you are true to your vision.  In saying the dragon pipe wasn't my cup-of-tea (a favorite form), I am still impressed by your esthetic.   To practice art, one should be true to themselves.  You do that well and as you should.

Best Wishes!

Maksim - thanks for your response to my questions. Much appreciated.

Please don't think that you are generating any kind of discord. We're all friends here and like many guys take some perverse pleasure in needling each other on occasion. We respect and value each other greatly. We also respect each other's right to hold a different opinion. It's part of the value of the site. If there weren't diverse tastes and opinions you would sell far fewer pipes, I would sell fewer knives and the critics among us would have far less fun.

Note: there's a maker that posts over in the Town Crier section who, if you haven't checked out his works, you should. He goes by "tNd". Of course, many other members show and offer their pipes there as well. Many are new makers and are doing really fine work.

Again, thanks...and please keep posting your pipes.

RD":exsqwyvx said:
I am a very happy customer of Maksim's. I first came across his pipes about a year ago through Nick Miller's Quality Briar site and I now own six, including two of the ones Maksim showed earlier in this thread.

I can say that all of mine are engineered and carved with extreme precision, and they all smoke wonderfully. He clearly takes enormous care to make his pipes just right in every detail. It is a particularly nice feeling to put a pipecleaner through one of his pipes and feel it glide effortlessly to the bowl because of the polished airway. I think if you like the style of Maksim's pipes they are fantastic value. I believe you would have to pay a great deal of money to find another pipe with this kind of engineering perfection. I also think the texture of Maksim's sandblasts, the quality of his stem carving, and the precision of his shaping are outstanding.

Some of Maksim's recent and more artistic shapes are not really to my taste, but that's a personal thing and I applaud Maksim's willingness to experiment and develop his art. The way I think about Maksim's pipes is that they are made for everyday smoking and comfort, but have a level of internal engineering perfection that is far beyond this price range. That combination is something I think Maksim does better than anyone else. (end quote)

RD's opinion says what I feel so very well; he doesn't feel drawn to the freehands but finds your more classical shapes extremely appealing and affordable.

I'm so very glad that you took my criticism so very well. You would appear to be a very spiritual person as well as an outstanding maker. My opinion is just that, and you know what they say about opinions, everyone's got one.

I took another look at the Dragon and would have to agree with you that the stem is in the right place. I still don't think, however, that the body of the pipe and the stem have enough of a relationship, but that's just my opinion.:)

Yakslon also posts pipes on this forum. As Blackhorse said, you both do us a great service!

Hello, Everyone!
I am sorry for keeping silence so long.

Mr. Doody,
Thanks a lot for your kind words. It would be a pleasure to make a pipe for you!

JKenP,
Thank you, your thoughts are similar to my “feeling myself”. I hope esthetic of my further pipes won’t disappoint you.

Blackhorse,
Thank you for watching my pipes closely.
And thank you for clearing up the situation. A load has been taken off my mind :D  I am glad that what seemed to me as a beginning of conflict, it appears just a friendly joke.
As regards tNd’s pipes, I saw them. As far as possible, I try to keep up with what is going on in pipe-making environment. But my attitude to other craftsmen’ pipes should be clarified in order to avoid misunderstanding: being a pipe-maker, I think it is prohibitive for me to speak about, discuss, criticize or recommend other pipe-makers in public, I consider such acts unethical.

Alfredo_buscatti,
Thank you. I must be reiterating, but it is very important to hear other points of view as much as possible. I am afraid of stagnation in my art most of all.
I think the most terrible thing for artisan is to hear one’s criticism and not to listen to the whole just to say to opponent nonchalantly: “WHAT COULD YOU UNDERSTAND IN ALL OF THIS?!”. Such a moment is a point of countdown in ones career, I think.

Maksim, your work is nothing short of stunning, we all find it really difficult to handle some peoples opinions of us and our work at times, it's hard to distance ourselves at times, I know the feeling all too well.

Here's a saying that should help you to keep a level perspective on other peoples opinions...

"Opinions are like arseholes,
everyone has one and they all stink
"

Always makes me giggle when my life partner reminds me of this when someone has written something cruel or unkind about me or my work.

Personally I adore your work and I hope you will continue posting here so we can enjoy your wonderful pipe creations.

Let's see...of the 4 P's...pipes, philosophy, process & policy...I'd much rather focus on the pipes!

You're a great bunch of guys and I'm pleased to enjoy all this with you.

Mr. Doody":l2stta0l said:
Maksim:

You are a gentleman, an accomplished artist, an exceptional artisan, and clearly a quality human being.

I am saving my money so I can purchase one of your AMAZING pipes!!!!!

Keep on carvin'!

Doody

I second that quote from Mr. Doody...clearly a quality human being! Thanks for sharing your gorgeous work of love.

By and large, I think this was a great exchange.  Any disagreement wasn't about execution but individual taste. Maksim continues to prove he's a true craftsmen; but, it was also obvious he's a true gentlemen.

I really enjoyed discussion of taste above and beyond the obvious quality of all pieces.  Can't say for other but I found the experience enjoyable and found out more about Maksim than the normal platitudes extended to offering.  

Pipe Magazine just did a show about the Dublin form and mentioned it wasn't popular and mentioned some that were.  I liked the Dublin better than most.  In other threads, I see absolutely gorgeous bulldog and Rhodesian pipes that have obvious excellence but I wouldn't own one.  That is just me.

I, and I feel Maksim, really enjoyed the exchange.  Maksim, in an aside here, mentioned to me that he shared my interest in traditional shapes.  As a maker and businessman, that is all just another aside.  To succeed, he is responsible for fulfilling customer tastes and is obviously also doing that well.

Maksim, I am a buyer of artisan pipes and I just saw this thread for the first time. You are making some incredible pipes and what really hits home with me is the attention to detail that you put into your stems. The fact you make the insides as smooth as glass to me means you get it One of the things that makes a great smoking pipe is no turbulence in the stem and the fact that you recognize this says to me that your first goal is to make a great smoking pipe and the looks are secondary. In my years of collecting pipes I have had some gorgeous pipes from some pretty notable artisans( Rainer Barbi, Kurt Balleby and Peter Matzhold) that frankly were not great smokers, I sold off all of those pipes because I am a pipe smoker first and foremost. I will no doubt buy one of your pipes in the near future and I wish you continued success.

On another note some of my family immigrated from Kiev a long time ago, so we could be related. Do you give discounts to family members?:lol: 

I'll second finding myself in the regrettable circumstance of having to dump more than a few expensive, supposedly top tier briars that smoked about as well as road tar in an oil drum. Well, actually I've had one or two Texaco barrels that weren't all that bad. Ahem. Yes, well be that as it may, my kudos as well to a maker whose primary concerns are in my opinion - a melding of supreme performance AND artistic design crafted meticulously.

I swear I've got a no name Oom Paul estate I picked up for twenty bucks that out smokes any Dunhill I've ever owned. What's up with that? Maybe it's that the dozen or so Dunhills that are now gone from my rack were all just flukes. Hmpgh! Statistically unlikely.

I will only add that my favorite and best smoking pipes are the ones that were made by a single craftsman from start to finish...most being active members here. It's a fine place with lots to offer. I hope one day to own one of Maksim's lovely pipes. Til then, I hope he decides to stick around.

Have a great 4th of July everyone.