Pipes You Want But Don't Want To Pay For

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Storm_Crow

Reaction score
Are there any pipes that you've been eyeing up for a dog's age but have yet to pull the trigger on because it's a bit more money than you're willing to shell out for a single pipe?

What's your list?

Having never paid more than $100 for a pipe, I have 3 pipes, all Petersons, that fall into this category...

-a Mark Twain
-a River Collection
- Sherlock Holmes Lestrade

So far only one I truly covet - also a Pete:

Sherlock Holmes - Baskerville..

I understand that the Kinsale line are "cheaper" versions of the Holmes shapes but I would truly love one of the originals...

mike_68":p61hy6lj said:
I understand that the Kinsale line are "cheaper" versions of the Holmes shapes but I would truly love one of the originals...
Heh, it's funny you mention that, but I saw the same thing with the Le Strade. There's a $70 Le Strade shaped pipe (kinsale I think it is), then it jumps to something like $170 for a true Le Strade that's rusticated. The smooth Le Strade is something like the mid $200's, and the object of my affection is the "natural" finish which rings in at $360. Naturally I have to like the most expensive one. :lol:

What I don't get with pipes is the cause for such big price increases. Change the finish and pricing doesn't increase $20 or even $50...it's something like $100 jumps! :evil:

I have a smooth and lacquered briar Peterson Kinsale XL20 P-Lip. It is the only pipe I ever paid over $100.00 for (paid $107.00) and probably the only one I ever will. Don't kid yourself, this is an excellent pipe and I'm glad I have it. If you watch your bucks, as I do, this pipe is a win win.

Storm - I hear 'ya on the pricing, at that point you are only paying more because they know they can GET that much...

LIPIPE - I'm with you, I'll end up getting the Kinsale version probably and since it's a Pete I'm positive it will be a great smoker - but something about that original..just lovely...

Yea, there are so many excellent pipes for $100 or less, so I know I'm looking at these much pricier pipes not because I expect them to smoke one bit better, but just because I want the unique finish of the River collection, or the historic value of owning a reproduction of the pipe one of Mark Twain's daughters bought for him.

Simple Man":lnm4rbrp said:
I want the Peterson Mark Twain too... I want the sandblast tankard...
I also wanted and waited too long on a Northern Briars Sea Urchin... perfect pipe for watching Pirates of the Caribbean. :lol:
And this Rad Davis pipe... way over my budget for now though... http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/rad-davis/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=89138
Some unique designs there...which I like. :D

Since we both want the Mark Twain but don't want to pay for it...we should go in on a timeshare. :lol:

...though I want the smooth finish.

Storm: Unless Mark Twain smoked his Sherlock while driving his Honda, I wouldn't eat my heart out. The difference in price is just marketing hype. Get yourself a Kinsale and be a happy man. It ain't 7:30PM but the wisdom flows regardless bro.

Here's a pic for ya

http://www.uktobacco.com/acatalog/info_1134.html

Sorry Charlie....Better luck next time. Hope you and the valves are feeling OK

LIPIPE":4zzf5zfo said:
Storm: Unless Mark Twain smoked his Sherlock while driving his Honda, I wouldn't eat my heart out. The difference in price is just marketing hype. Get yourself a Kinsale and be a happy man. It ain't 7:30PM but the wisdom flows regardless bro.

Here's a pic for ya

http://www.uktobacco.com/acatalog/info_1134.html
I may just have to wander around in a white suit instead...

Simple Man":lxho54un said:
Storm_Crow":lxho54un said:
Since we both want the Mark Twain but don't want to pay for it...we should go in on a timeshare. :lol:

...though I want the smooth finish.
Darn! We were SO close to reaching a deal! :lol:

The bottom one is the one I like... If I could find someone who wanted the top one... :lol:

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=H&srch=KW&item=petmtsb
Alright, we'll get the sandblast and we'll split the pipe between us. I'll take the bowl and you get the stem?

Boulder":lxho54un said:

Luv the Purdy at Blues. :study:
I can't see that link from work, but it certainly sounds like a purdy pipe... :lol:

There's been a few Castellos that I'd love to own, but I've always felt the asking prices I've been able to find on 'em seem a bit high, at least in relation to how much I want them.

Ardor's are similar, there's been a handfull that realy wanted, but haven't been willing to drop the necessary coin.

Radices are often a little closer to the price mark for me, but harder to find one that I realy want although they do come up from time to time. Just the two things never quite seem to be in the same pipe.

Then there is an endless wishlist of pipes from various makers that are just realistically out of my price range most of the time and I'm just simply not patient enough to save up for. I would spend it if I had it though. Heeschen, Becker, Purdy, Parks, Belleby, Bang, Negoita, Weaver, etc etc etc.

In general any fine pipe…These days prices have gone wild due to the “Collectability” factor also inflation and scarcity of Plateau briar. The Ben Wade freehand "First" Straight Grain Smooth Finish that cost me $35 in the late 70’s or the $125 one of a kind hand made by a local pipemaker (Sovereign) in the late 80’s that both now go for $500+ is just not worth the money for me at this point in my life. Luckily, I amassed a very large collection from years back. These days if I see a good deal on a Peterson or meerschaum I may go for it.

I can be thankfull that I started smoking a pipe when I did. I now have a nice collection of pipes I would not, nor could afford at today's prices. Though they were not inexpensive pipes back then ( 40years ago), Dunhill's and Charatan's were not anywhere near what they bring today so a person could get a few High Grades at reasonable prices. With around 80 pipes, I'm not really buying anything pipe wise now days, just focusing on a much wider array of tobaccos avilable now ! :p