Pipes You Want But Don't Want To Pay For

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice shape and details in that pipe...who makes that one? What would it set you back?

Simple Man":4e9bxyte said:
Storm_Crow":4e9bxyte said:
Nice shape and details in that pipe...who makes that one? What would it set you back?
It's a Ser Jacopo Van Gogh Self Portrait like the one in my current avatar. It's close to $400... too rich for my blood.
Hmm, I limit the total brand/name combo of any pipe I'd considering purchasing to 3 words max... :suspect:

I'd say that if you really like the pipe, give em a call and try to negotiate the pricing. I'm not saying you'll ever be able to get it for $100-$200...but if you really like it and $50-$100 would make or break your decision to purchase, it's worth investigating.

I did that on a $400 pipe I liked. I couldn't get them to $300 which is the most I would pay including shipping (and I'm crazy to do even that but its my "OMG must have it pipe") so I didn't get it, but they were willing to move by $60.

Guy":cafpajyi said:
In general any fine pipe…These days prices have gone wild due to the “Collectability” factor also inflation and scarcity of Plateau briar. The Ben Wade freehand "First" Straight Grain Smooth Finish that cost me $35 in the late 70’s or the $125 one of a kind hand made by a local pipemaker (Sovereign) in the late 80’s that both now go for $500+ is just not worth the money for me at this point in my life.
cosigned. Unfortunately, I sold all the pipes that would now quench my thirst. I laugh at the prices now. I'm thankful I'm less materialistic than I was when I was younger (and the prices help me keep this in check). It allows me to recognize the silliness in it all (most of the time).

At 58 pipes, scattered between group 4s, 5s and 6s, I really don't need more pipes. But there is always the next one; I've been eyeing an Italian pipe that renders the Castello shape 55 very nicely, for not a great deal of money, but I've not bought it, not yet.

You see I've bought pipes, pipe tobacco and cigars on credit cards many times in the past, but now if my only resort is to them, I don't buy. Then below the credit card vs cash conundrum is the dawning concern, amidst the tobacco addiction, of other things I might need that supersede it.

$80 is typical for me and I haven't gone over the $100 mark. Close to it though. If and when I do, it will probably be a Winslow smooth calabash or brandy. They just grab me for some reason.

Dunhill%20Cumberland%20(4407)%20with%20Silver%20Army%20Mount.jpg

Dunhill Cumberland with army mount... I absolutely love the silver and the grained stem.

Alas, there's no way I could justify (to my wife) spending $600+ on a pipe.

The flipside of this is getting uncivil reactions from forum members for no better reason than you happen to have pipes that cost a little more and maybe a decent cellar too. I come to a web forum to share a common interest with people of a like mind. I don't care if you smoke 20 year old Balkan Sobranie or Prince Albert, in a Castello or a cob. I come to share my excitement about pipes and tobacco, and to share in yours as well.

I understand that a lot of people use their online anonymity to be jerks, but I expect better from a fellow pipe smoker.

We all gaze longingly at pipes we cannot afford; perhaps the direction we might take is to gaze longingly at pipes that we can afford. But this would destroy the tension between what we can have and what we cannot. Certainly we have all engineered financial coups on a pipe that is hundreds of dollars more than we thought we could afford. We cannot easily dismiss such joy.

I have generally been happy with the pipe and cigar smokers that I have met. I don't think that in general it is a money thing that impedes social intercourse but the social idiosyncracies of those whom I've met.

Just because I guy can be a cultivated tobacco addict doesn't mean that he can transfer that expertise to the social realm.

cakeanddottle":yijgluem said:
The flipside of this is getting uncivil reactions from forum members for no better reason than you happen to have pipes that cost a little more and maybe a decent cellar too. I come to a web forum to share a common interest with people of a like mind. I don't care if you smoke 20 year old Balkan Sobranie or Prince Albert, in a Castello or a cob. I come to share my excitement about pipes and tobacco, and to share in yours as well.

I understand that a lot of people use their online anonymity to be jerks, but I expect better from a fellow pipe smoker.
I'm not sure what your point is. We're not here to boast if that's what you're getting at. Nor do I sense any boasting or my pipe is better than your pipe crap. We're just pondering our temptations and it's been interesting to read what others have to say. At least to me it is. If I'm going to spend $150 on a pipe, I want to do it right and these are the kinds of threads to extrapulate from.

Since I started the thread I guess its only fair that I post my own #1 "do want" pipe.

lestn.jpg

The beautiful curves of the Le Strade pipe with a bigger bowl and the grain is gorgeous.

Yes, Storm. Very nice shape and grain.

My hopes are the tooth fairy shoves this Winslow under my pillow.

002-036-0417.jpg

$4000.00 Danish bulldogs is a genre that I find myself drawn to, but the looming matter of impending bankruptcy would be kind of a buzz kill...

$4000.00 Danish bulldogs is a genre that I find myself drawn to, but the looming matter of impending bankruptcy would be kind of a buzz kill...
Believe in the tooth fairy and it will come.

cakeanddottle":drta2d6g said:

I haven't been here long but so far I've not noticed any "one-upmanship" or jerks as far as what pipe one owns or tobacco one smokes. Some very "convinced" folks as far as their personal expresions as to what they like and such, but nobody that I would call a "jerk". Ya buy what ya can afford and enjoy it :p

Harlock999":6bcxfg6s said:
I bet if you gave it a try you could get it for at least $3,500.50 shipping included :twisted:

cakeanddottle":9aqoa3na said:

I don't see any of what you mentioned happening in this thread. In fact, I always thought threads like this were fun!

If nothing else, we are sharing our excitement about pipes... There's been no judgement passed whether someone is drooling over a $100 pipe or a $4000 pipe.

jlong":m1anzivz said:
Yes, Storm. Very nice shape and grain.
Only downside is the p-lip. I figure I'd have to customize it with a fishtail, costing me even more.

mike_68":frqtweqx said:
So far only one I truly covet - also a Pete:

Sherlock Holmes - Baskerville..

I understand that the Kinsale line are "cheaper" versions of the Holmes shapes but I would truly love one of the originals...
That makes two of us! I actually ordered a Kinsale XL12 and cancelled it the next day to hold out for an original.