Pipes You Want But Don't Want To Pay For

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
szyzk":zyjmo8zi said:
cakeanddottle":zyjmo8zi said:
The flipside of this is getting uncivil reactions from forum members for no better reason than you happen to have pipes that cost a little more and maybe a decent cellar too. I come to a web forum to share a common interest with people of a like mind. I don't care if you smoke 20 year old Balkan Sobranie or Prince Albert, in a Castello or a cob. I come to share my excitement about pipes and tobacco, and to share in yours as well.

I understand that a lot of people use their online anonymity to be jerks, but I expect better from a fellow pipe smoker.
I don't see any of what you mentioned happening in this thread. In fact, I always thought threads like this were fun!

If nothing else, we are sharing our excitement about pipes... There's been no judgement passed whether someone is drooling over a $100 pipe or a $4000 pipe.
No I wasn't saying that at all. I just was reading along in the thread and posted this as my recent, unfortunate observation. In fact, the behavior is from another forum. I'm not a frequent BoB poster, and I've never experienced anything untoward here.

Pipes I want but don't want to pay for...... I guess that's going to be a really small list. I have accepted a couple of facts, first that I can't afford the really expensive or even moderately expensive stuff. I'm OK with that, it was a choice. A few years ago my wife and I decided to take in our two granddaughters and become their guardians. We've had them five years come May, and it's a choice I'll never regret. We are both almost 50 now, and had already raised our own children and were finally overcoming the poverty that goes along with that :lol: The wife quit work to stay home and raise the girls, so basically we went back to being broke parents again, which is fine. They are a blessing and Gods gifts are greater than any trinkets of this earth. And like I said, it was a choice we gladly made so I don't really care much about the pipes I can't buy.

Second thing, I have owned some of those high dollar pipes in the past. But, like the other expensive little baubles I'd accumulated once I'd had some money, the pipes and flyrods and little English reels represented a few thousand dollars that could be better spent, so they were sold. It's funny about fine things, you learn about them and lust after them, but once you attain them you realize that, though they are little artistic expressions and quite beautiful, they are really just extras in life that don't matter much in the greater scheme of things. I can honestly say that my pipe smoking enhances my enjoyment of life, but with only a few exceptions, I can't say that those expensive pipes brought me any more pleasure than the more pedestrian ones. Now I'm not at all knocking the guy who can afford to buy them and who loves to smoke them, more power to ya. I'm just talking about myself and my own journey here.

Of all the pipes I'd sold the one I wished I could have kept was the Bang. It was just exceptional. It was without peer. If I had the financial means I'd have collected as many of them as I could have and smoked them all blissfully. But, it's just too much money, and in the end I couldn't justify keeping even one pipe that was worth a thousand dollars, it just wasn't right. So I guess that's the one pipe that fits the question of the original post, wish I could, but can't.

I did keep a few Castellos and a a little GRC that, collectively, are worth a bit more than that Bang, but we're talking 7 pipes versus 1. If you can find what your $$ threshold is for a collection then buy the most pleasing pipes within that threshold and be happy with that. I still like to look at the high dollar stuff because I can appreciate it, but for me I just can't consider it, realistically.

A last little bit. Did the Chonowitsch or Hedegaard smoke better than the Stanwells? Truth is no, they did not. Did the Dunhill or the Charatan or the Barling smoke better than the $80 Peterson? Nope, not at all. The Bang was amazing, the Castellos superior, but beyond that, the rest were only art.

I agree with you 100% Simple man...I realize I'm just paying for art...and I don't think I would ever go for a pipe that's more than a few hundred dollars no matter how much I like it.

Still, my resistence to even paying $400 for that pipe I like is more principle than anything. Being in sales, I respect anyone's right to make a profit. It's just that I feel that there is fair profit, and there is gouging.

Lets look at it this way...if I can get a similar Peterson from, say the kinsale line, for $100 (maybe less)...now I've got to rationalize why the pipe I want is worth 400% more. Well, the silver band will add about $50...that's the additional cost I've seen elsewhere for adding one...so we're up to $150. Now there's some extra worsmanship there no doubt so call that an additional $50 along with the accepted fact that items of low availability will simply bring more money, so I'd arbitrarily add an extra $50. We're up to $250 that I think is a fair value for what they are asking $400.

Bear in mind, I am offering to pay double and time again the actual value of the base pipe. That's like going into a car dealership where the base car is $20,000 and the car with all the bells and whistles is $25,000 and offering to pay 50,000 instead. They don't want that however. In relative money, they want $80,000. No...just no.

"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."...and appreciating the fact that you have it.

Smoking a pipe should give a man time to think about things and to be appreciative.

Simple Man":6s58l6d0 said:
Well, there's this...

2012-Honda-Civic-14.jpg

And there's this....

2012-Jaguar-XK-side-photo-945x630.jpg

Both are excellent cars, both will get you from point A to point B... I could come closer to affording the first, but if I had my druthers I'd pick the second one! :lol:
You chose the SI...excellent choice Simple Man.

As far as comparing that car to that second one though, that's not a fair comparison. A fairer one would be comparing a civic LX to a civic SI navi. Both are civics, but one has many more bells and whistles...just as the Kinsale version of the pipe is very much the same as the Le Strade, but the Le Strade has more bling.

As an aside, I actually wouldn't even want the latter car believe it or not, but then I've been brainwashed by my family to love Hondas since age 10. :lol: Also, I agree with a utilitarian existence. That's not to say I don't like a few nice things, but never opulant.

Ha Ha Simpleman and Stormcrow: I just knew you guys would hook up. I was thinking I'd just love an old Crown Vic Police Interceptor.

In 1990 I purchased a new dark grey Crown Vic. I chose to delete the bells and whistles like the vinyl roof so the car came out of the dealership looking plain but it was comfortable and accommodated our young family well. One day driving Southbound on the New Jersey Turnpike I was in the left lane driving the posted speed limit smiling. My wife asked why I was smiling so much and why all of the cars in front of us for the last 10 miles or so kept moving over to the right. I had already figured that they had made me for an unmarked Jersey Trooper. That was worth every penny I paid for the car especially in heavy traffic.

Simple Man":j91jvhfu said:
Storm_Crow":j91jvhfu said:
You chose the SI...excellent choice Simple Man.

As far as comparing that car to that second one though, that's not a fair comparison. A fairer one would be comparing a civic LX to a civic SI navi. Both are civics, but one has many more bells and whistles...just as the Kinsale version of the pipe is very much the same as the Le Strade, but the Le Strade has more bling.

As an aside, I actually wouldn't even want the latter car believe it or not, but then I've been brainwashed by my family to love Hondas since age 10. :lol: Also, I agree with a utilitarian existence. That's not to say I don't like a few nice things, but never opulant.
LOL... yea, I know it was not a fair comparison, I was just having fun with it. Your comparison is much more realistic... but I would LOVE to have that Jag!!! Of course then it would mean I need a new house as it would look funny sitting out in front of this one, then a new wardrobe, gym membership.... this is getting to difficult, maybe I better opt for the Honda. :lol:
It's funny, but the SI is actually my idea of opulant. I'd love to have one but the fuel costs stinks compared to the standard Civic (premium gas too) and they cost more to purchase. That's not to say I'd get the base model. I'd probably step it up to the second trim up. If I'm getting a new car I'm gonna own for 10 years I think I owe myself bluetooth, a moonroof, and alloy wheels. 8)

LIPIPE":q7wv40aa said:
Ha Ha Simpleman and Stormcrow: I just knew you guys would hook up. I was thinking I'd just love an old Crown Vic Police Interceptor.

One day driving Southbound on the New Jersey Turnpike I was in the left lane driving the posted speed limit smiling. My wife asked why I was smiling so much and why all of the cars in front of us for the last 10 miles or so kept moving over to the right. I had already figured that they had made me for an unmarked Jersey Trooper. That was worth every penny I paid for the car especially in heavy traffic.
Genius...traffic problem? No problem!

BTW...anyone smoke your pipe while driving? I get the funniest looks...and that alone makes the act worthwhile. Plus I drive a Honda CRZ which is this crazy looking sport hybrid. So here comes this guy in his 30's wearing a flatcap and smoking a pipe while driving some futuristic looking car. I'm sure I'm quite the sight.

I rented a Dodge Charger last year in New Mexico also. It too is a cop's car. All it needs is a roof rack and a center console shotgun rack mount. Insofar as looks for smoking while driving, my buddies and I smoked our pipes while on patrol. Just think of two highway cops in a cruiser shooting radar and clenching. The big decision was whether to put the pipe down and pursue a borderline speeder or continue to enjoy the smoke and wait for the next fish in the pond.

It's good to see we are back into the full size muscle car era. Having been shrunk to subcompacts for two decades, they were a dissapointment and hardly classified as muscle cars. They excelled at suspension systems that are now getting canibalized by rod builders but that was about it.

I believe the loss of availability of muscle cars fueled the demand for pick-up trucks. Guys like me never thought that we'd be driving to the office in a suit and tie, arriving with our attache case and parking a big black F250 4X4 with a bed cap in the lot. First co-workers chuckled, then they got used to seeing my truck, then they got jealous. Then they got one too.

Yes, shortbed 4x4's with 350's, headers, and fat tires became the rage. The secret muscle cars were Caddy Sevilles and Lincoln Mark 5's (or whatever the Lincoln sport model was). Those rocked.

hornalum":eq9eg2ds said:
mike_68":eq9eg2ds said:
So far only one I truly covet - also a Pete:

Sherlock Holmes - Baskerville..

I understand that the Kinsale line are "cheaper" versions of the Holmes shapes but I would truly love one of the originals...
That makes two of us! I actually ordered a Kinsale XL12 and cancelled it the next day to hold out for an original.
With you there my friend..I have a majority of Dr. Grabows as my daily smokers but have recently started buying some lower end Pete's but that one...gonna hold off for the real deal...