Random pic(s)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rob_In_MO":f112ijhn said:
Great book!

Nice pipe too. :lol:
Thanks Rob, that was quick!
In my "book", combining Ray Bradbury with Al Feldstein (EC Comics), with a Frazetta cover thrown in, is pretty much a winner.

Harlock999":orgebyw3 said:
Zenith Cobra-Matic. Still works!
Man - that's a nice one!
Definitely a keeper. :cheers:

This is a piss-poor pic of an old Stereo System I played with a while back.
A Pioneer SA-8800 Amp with a TX-9500II Tuner. Old School and Bad A$$!

stereo10.jpg

At a moment of weakness & stupidity, I traded them off for an early 90's Pioneer VSX-D1S Receiver and a pair of original Realistic Mach One speakers (15" woofer and 4"x15" horn). While it's one heck of an old receiver, it's still not quite the build quality of the older Pioneer Silver Stereo components. Oh - and no subwoofer needed with those speakers...

d1s-fr10.jpg

I like that earlier set up!
I used to see components like those at thrift stores all the time, but not so much anymore.
I remember those big knobs having a very smooth turning action.
I really wish I'd picked some of those up when people were getting rid of them.
Most of the stereo equipment I find nowadays looks like junk...

Rob, your old set up looks a lot like my "Frankenstereo". I've got components spanning five decades all channeled through a '70s Pioneer tuner. Of course those old amps didn't have a lot of inputs, so I had to get pretty creative with the wiring. My ex-wife hated it. She was considerably younger than me and couldn't figure out how to use it! :p

One thing about those old Pioneer Amps - they still blow away most equipment made today, and are no contest when put up against those newish 1000 watt (yeah right) compact systems with the little cube speakers and puny excuse for a subwoofer box.

Not to mention, those older units have that 'smooth and natural' sound quality that is all but absent in today's digital systems. Heh - just that Amp alone weighs well over 30-lbs, and the tuner is no lightweight either.

Here is my wife's small system in the dining room on a shelf:
A Pioneer SX-450 with CD Player. The tuner is fantastic on it, and though the receiver is only rated at 15-wpc - it's pretty healthy. Of course that rating is 15-wpc continuous average output at 8-ohms.

sx-45010.jpg

The best lampoon of all was a kid's show. Jay Ward created a kid's cartoon show but it wasn't.

Rocky and Bullwinkle morphed a number of names and had spinoffs that were as great as the original. Amazing content for the adults.

Before that was an interesting attempt with Crusader Rabbit --wastn't quite dark enough

I think all of them are on Youtube and Hulu.

Harlock999":vb7wibns said:
Old school, single chambered, non-reverse bent billiard.
:scratch: how does that work? Some newfangled old school invention?

The Firmus-billiard ;)

Puff Daddy":zrwomlyo said:
Harlock999":zrwomlyo said:
Old school, single chambered, non-reverse bent billiard.
:scratch: how does that work? Some newfangled old school invention?

The Firmus-billiard ;)
Had to look up Firmus... :study:
Teach me more!

monbla256":wqo722h6 said:
Harlock999":wqo722h6 said:
MMMMMM ! I could enjoy ALOT of Royal Yacht in that one :twisted: Who made it?
It's an old Poul Ilsted.
The chamber is lined with the hardest cake I've ever encountered.
Like a layer of stone!