Secret Santa 2012

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos

Administrator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Ladies & Gentlemen, Its time!!!! (Well, a few days early this year for various reasons.)

For the 'New Guys' (anyone that wasn't a Knoxer) this is BOB's fifth Secret Santa but it has a long lineage stemming from Knox Cigars old BB. It's always been a blast and sometimes been quite surprising, as some of the worst 'Grinchs' have turned out to be some of the best Santa's.

The same rules will apply this year but I will give a run down for all of you that doesn't know how it works.

1. As a gift, you may send any pipe-related item and/or cigar related item. With respect to pipe tobacco, the minimum is 150 grams of tinned tobacco or eight ounces of bulk tobacco or a pre-packed sampler that many B&M smoke shops and online vendors are offering for the holidays. (Personally, one year I received several of those 2oz size Mason jars of well aged tobaccos. Packed very well. But I cannot recommend glass containers for shipping.) If you give an estate pipe, be kind enough to clean it up and sanitize the bit. Any other items, such as, lighters, pouches, racks, tampers, new pipes, or even T-shirts & hats, are good ideas. With respect to cigars, the minimum will be 3/5 quality handmade cigars or any 5 or more cigar sampler that many B&M smoke shops and online vendors are offering. Cigar related accessories such as cigar carriers, humidors, lighters, ashtrays and so on are also acceptable. Yes, you can mix and match tins and stogies if that is what you wish to give. Bear in mind this isn't a maximum, most give more than this, but from past experience I can honestly say its not what you get but what you give.

2. With respect to tobaccos, please try to stay within the preferred category that will be provided in the e-mail you will be receiving from me. There's no sense sending a sweet aromatic to someone that usually smokes heavy latakia mixtures and vice versa. With respect to cigars, the qualifiers might be size and strength. Check the Tobacco section for reviews, or the "What are you smoking?" threads for ideas.

3. Please mail your package in time, so your recipient will receive it by Christmas. I suggest December 10th as a good target date. Factor in the heightened security that may be in place for parcels. It's best to put the real return address on the box, but you could use "Santa" as the sender's name.

4. Please do not ask me to assign someone in particular to be your recipient.

5. Please use Priority mail with delivery confirmation, or UPS, fedex,dhl so the package can be traced if needed. It is okay to have your gift drop-shipped, to your recipient, from an online vendor, such as www.smokingpipes.com or your local smoke shop.

5.5 I should mention here, that the difficulties in shipping overseas make this type of activity difficult. But that does not mean that members cannot play in their own country. Take South Africa for instance. Seems to be a number of Brothers there that might be interested and know their way around the shipping problems in country. Or may wish to meet and do an exchange. I don't mind making a list and drawing names and sending that info back to you. Same for Brothers in Canada or elsewhere. But you would be entirely on your own to make it all work.

6. PLEASE, if you don't truly want to send a gift or you feel that it will be a burden on you, DO NOT SIGN UP AS A PARTICIPANT! Your name and handle may get posted on the bulletin boards as being a Grinch!

7. If you do not receive anything from your appointed Santa by January 4, 2012, contact me and I will email you their name and email address, so that you can work it out with them. I Make No Guarantees and I Will Not Get Into The Middle Of Any Dispute. Sorry, but I'm just putting this event together. If you want to post their identity and that you didn't get anything from him/her, I can't stop you. This is another reason for not signing up as a participant, if you don't want to play fairly.

8.) I will close registrations on November 11th. The cut-off date will allow for more time to secure your gift and to get it in the mail by December 10th. Secret Santa Events have always worked because of the trust we have in our fellow Stokers (pipe smokers). You should know that, If you become a participant, there is a chance, a very slim chance but it’s possible, that you might not receive a gift. I reserve the right to refuse to allow certain people to participate. If someone had to cover your butt in the past or you are a well known arsehat its a good chance I'm telling you NO. Merry Christmas

9. The assignments will be totally random. To set the assignments, I will put the names and addresses on pieces of paper, put them in a hat, shake them up and have someone with no interest draw them one by one. I know it's low-tech, but it works.

If you'd like to join up now feel free to shoot me a pm containing your Real Name, addy, phone number, and wish list. (Try to make sure you give me all this info as my PM box will be filling up, and having to ask for info makes it fill that much quicker.)
Merry Christmas y'all.

(Thanks to PB for the use of his rules. Modified slightly by me.)

Here are links to last couple year's threads. Read and enjoy.

Secret Santa 2011

Secret Santa 2010

:santa:

Keep checking here to make sure you are on the list. I check PM's and email often. Well usually. Will add as quickly as I can. :santa:

The List:

Carlos
kaiser83
Doc Manhattan
Kyle Weiss
Ocelot55
Simple Man
Blackhorse
Puff Daddy
gravel
Centurian 803
Fishfuzz
Growley
GeoffC
jhuggett
DoverPipes
Sloppy Joe Hemingway
scotties22
UberHuberMan
Natch
the rev
tyler
taharris
GrampaGrossbart
Slide
christeaux
i.keenum
Mozjo33
mcsweeney
Frost
DrT999
clueless
Cigar2you
idbowman
SPUD 15

WooHoo! That time of year again! :cheers:

Last year was great, but I have a feeling this year will be even better. :santa:

That reminds me, time to mix up a new batch of my 'Special Holiday Blend' to send out to my victim recipient. :twisted:

Like last year's blend, this year's batch will consist of: Tequila and shot of Nyquil added to a mixture of Paladin, Captain Black Cherry, and Mixture #79 - along with a little ground-up Swisher Sweet for that Fine Cigar Leaf 'something special'.

:shock: :affraid:

Regarding Grinches: I say we throw 'em to the Christmas Gator! :twisted:

:santa: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer:

A couple folks neglected to send me address, phone#, preferences info. Please include that so I don't have to go searching elsewhere for an address. Makes it easier on me. But I do try to keep a list in another file, just in case.

If you don't include a likes/dislikes, or preferences, that just makes your Secret Santa do more work searching all your posts on the forum. Sometimes you will come across the perfect idea when doing that. So don't hesitate to do some research once I send out the names.

Thanks!

:santa:

If you haven't done one of these Secret Santa's before, be sure to read the past threads. A lot of fun they can be. :santa:

Not sure I'll be available when the packages arrive; hopefully I'll know before the 1th. Last year was a lot of fun!

Of course, the Christmas Gator wants to play....

gat-pak_zps10c61c23.jpg

PM Sent. Thanks for doing this again Carlos. I haven't been on BoB much lately but still want to do this.
Gettin' my happy ho ho on!

Re reading last years thread is a hoot. Gator heads and rubber nipples. Nobody would guess this is a pipe forum. :scratch:

In looking back over my haul from last year, I can say that it was quite the success. I still use the little cuban coffee stovetop percolator all the time. In fact, it's one of the catalysts that sent the wife and I over the edge regarding kitchen gadgets. We got fed up with buying electronic devices that always die two years into their life. We now do not own an electric coffee pot, we have the espresso percolator and a french press. We use a Bodum glass tea pot/press and a stove top kettle. The only gadgets that are electric in the kitchen are a coffee bean grinder and a toaster.

I have about 1/4 of that big ol batch of Nut Brown Burley left, smoked a lot of it at work, it's a good everyman everyday kinda smoke, doesn't get enough props. The tea only served to feul my already growing tea mania, an affliction I'm glad I picked up :)

I am looking forward to stalking my Santa victim this year, who knows what might pop up in that big ol box :twisted:

:cheers: Puff, you're an easy guy to convert into a blue-collar snob of sorts, aren't ya? :D :lol:

Last year's Secret Santa was what opened my eyes about BoB. For the first time in decades, I kid you not, I got excited about the holidays.

8)

I'm in... Haven't been around much lately but I haven't missed a Secret Santa yet. It's my favorite thing the board does.

And wow... Five years.

the rev":dujgc7x8 said:
am I allowed to be in before my 30/30 has been reached?

rev
Considering you'll be 30/30 mere days before the sign-up deadline, you could wait, or get it approved by the powers-that-be... *shrug*

8)

Thinking I probably shouldn't do it this year anyways. Wont have time to make a pipe, and don't have the money to get stuff. Just looks so darned fun

rev

Thanks for the updates!

Note that I am responding to questions, but not doing a PM acknowledgment. The PM boxes here can fill up really fast. So just check page one of this thread for the list. Make sure your username appears.

For you guys on the sidelines. This can be a really fun time. It's also a lot of fun to simply read. No one will think less of anyone for not participating. Some don't want to be bothered. Or don't know where they will be and don't like the idea of a package sitting around outside for days on end. Other folks are honest enough to admit that maybe they need to spend on other needs first. That's just fine. We have all been there. Take the joy where and when you can get it. Enjoy the holidays with friends and family. :santa:

Sometime later this week Josh will switch to his holiday avatar. If I can find it................

just reading last years was a blast. But in truth a bit intimidating as well. Next year I can be prepared to participate in a way that is comparable. I mean alligator heads and nipples?

rev