Senseless in Seattle

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveS

Reaction score
According to KCPQ-TV (Seattle), the Seattle City Council voted in October to seize a waterfront parking lot by eminent domain from the 103-year-old owner after negotiations to buy the property on the open market broke down.

The state is funding a six-year tunnel-digging project in the area, and the city has decided it needs the property for not-yet-specified uses ... except that in one part of the property, the city said it plans to operate a parking lot.

Be interesting to see what the courts say. Those things, unless part of a big unstoppable pre approved public works project, are usually challenged in court. The city can vote all they want, but unless they can show public need they can't just take property because they want to own that guys parking lot. "Unspecified" should be enough bait to get the lawyers drooling over it.

We go over a number of Supreme Court Cases dealing with eminent domain, police powers, and such in my Urban Planning Class, and although the Court seems to swing back and forth regarding emphasizing individual or group rights, in almost all "taking" cases these days that go to court, the argument is over fair market value.  Very few are shot down because of the taking action, it's disagreement over what the property is worth that may lead to the courts.  

Any half-competent lawyer will know the local, state and federal decisions on eminent domain, and know pretty well what is and is not allowed.  

Natch

So they're gonna take a guy's parking lot and
give it to somebody else to build a parking lot.
What doesn't make sense?  :lol!: 

Hermit":k1j7j3bt said:
What doesn't make sense?   :lol!: 
No, but now it's THEIR parking lot!!!   :twisted:

Hermit":rb87eg6o said:
What doesn't make sense?   :lol!: 
Exactly. Justify that.

It appears to me, and this is just my opinion, that some rich developer has spread his wealth to include some of the city's councilmen. Like that's a surprise.  :affraid: :evil: :evil: 

AJ

SteveS":8qctxtwm said:
after negotiations to buy the property on the open market broke down.
I'm slightly familiar with highway and pipeline right of way. Most of the time the landowners lose out after demanding unrealistic, over the top money for land.  :shock: 

ajn27511":tb1vtnh9 said:
It appears to me, and this is just my opinion, that some rich developer has spread his wealth to include some of the city's councilmen. Like that's a surprise.  :affraid: :evil: :evil: 

AJ
That may be AJ but I know that both Paul Allen and Kemper Freeman have created THOUSANDS of jobs here in Seattle. More than we can say for the incompetent state and city gov. These guys took South Lake Union, which had been in decay for YEARS and turned it into a hot spot.