SG FVF

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozark Wizard

Reaction score
Went in blind on a TAD from Blackhorse and grabbed 250 gm of aged in the box Full Virginia Flake. It was ready to smoke right out and in one light gave me an hour smoke from a 1.5 cm wide 2 cm deep pipe. "Tin note" was one of a nice black Pekoe tea. Almost tasted like St. James Flake. Very yummy!

"Aged" is the keyword here, to me at least.

Took me a long time to come around to FVF, and to date remains the most challenging 'baccy to prep properly. Hit and miss. But when it's on, by 'arry it's ON!

8)

Cheers,

RR

That's a real winner when it wants to perform. As Rande pointed out it can be a challenge for a few of us. Of course with a box that size you should be good to go for quite awhile lol.

Jim

I only cellared 13 pounds of it, so I guess I should make up my mind whether or not I like it. :confused: :suspect: :face: Some batches have a little deeper flavor than others, but it is generally consistent. As it gets better with age, I'm currently aging my stash, none of which is newer than 2013. I wanted to make sure I had enough for the rest of my life.

Ozark Wizard: the reason it reminds you a little of St. James Flake is because SJF uses this Virginia in it. I like SJF almost as much as I do FVF.

My favorite va, its really yummy, a delicious smoke

FVF is one of the all time favorites. Hot dogs, apple pie and FVF! Er, or something like that.

Over on the review site it is the third most reviewed blend with just shy of 500 reviews. It used to be the MOST reviewed blend. So it is certainly KNOWN.

I've never had a problem with prep. I treat it like most flakes...smoke if fairly dry...rub it slightly but not fully so as to somewhat slow the burn...pack it medium tight...smoke it with my typical greedy cadence...yadda, yadda, yadda. Works differently but well in differing bowl geometries - Prince, Dublin, Oom Paul, Cob, etc.

Good stuff IMHO.

High praise indeed gents.

If it's somewhat reminiscent of SJF (minus the Per) I reckon I'll have to give it a shot. I just love that SJF!

JimInks":p5x1qgak said:
I like SJF almost as much as I do FVF.
I think I like it better. I wish I found it first, as I'd have more of it than FVF cellared. I fear I'm at the end of my big cash outlays....got a couple of lifetimes worth at my snails rate to get through...first world problem fer sure.

But Ole FVF ain't a bad second, eh ?

Wiz' how old was the tobacco? I have a few of those and I was wondering when they would be managable to smoke without generating headaches (especially the FVF that can be so quirky).

Lord Guyrox":dhndra3w said:
Wiz' how old was the tobacco? I have a few of those and I was wondering when they would be managable to smoke without generating headaches (especially the FVF that can be so quirky).
I think it was five years old? I can't remember really, but that sounds right. Jim Inks said it is a lot like SJF, and I agree. If that is any reflection of behaviours, then I would suspect that 'fresh' it would require a bit more attention than I give this batch of FVF. Though really, when I load up 'fresh' SJF, I tend to nurse it along, and it burns longer and not as hot.

I'll say this about SG's and Gaw/Ho and Co flakes I've tried to date. Tins, yah, pretty damp. Boxes not so much. I load the flakes broken across the grain at bowl height and loosely twist them in. No real dry time. Hit it with flame and it'll go out eventually, early on. the relight brings it to light and just goes.

Same here. I have boxed SJF and I don't dry it much at all. Once going, the rest is quite all right!

I think 5 yrs is about right. It should be pretty beautiful about now. I recently found a box of Broken Flake No 7 in my cave of wonders and it's a one match smoke. No tricks. No weirdness. Not glitchy. Not tricky. Just straightforward good tobacco. Pretty mutch like most Gawith flakes. Damn good stuff IMHO.

Blackhorse":mgznwqb9 said:
I think 5 yrs is about right.  It should be pretty beautiful about now. I recently found a box of Broken Flake No 7 in my cave of wonders and it's a one match smoke. No tricks. No weirdness. Not glitchy. Not tricky. Just straightforward good tobacco. Pretty mutch like most Gawith flakes. Damn good stuff IMHO.
Smoked some of that BBF sample tonight. From 2008?

Yuppers, one match and bliss.... I'll need a box or two of that soon too!

Today, I smoked a bowl of fresh FVF and smoked a bowl of 2009 FVF. The differences are very noticeable. I didn't dry either batch. The fresh FVF tastes like what I'm used to. I have smoked FVF with a couple years of age, but not with seven. The 2009 version was more sugary, dark fruit and citrus sweeter. A little more earthy with a few less grass notes, and a bit smoother. The light spice note was a shade more obvious. Certainly a much deeper, more flavorful smoke. I'll age what I have jarred a little longer than I was planning.

Ozark Wizard":r5t4kd78 said:
Lord Guyrox":r5t4kd78 said:
I think it was five years old? I can't remember really, but that sounds right. Jim Inks said it is a lot like SJF, and I agree. If that is any reflection of behaviours, then I would suspect that 'fresh' it would require a bit more attention than I give this batch of FVF. Though really, when I load up 'fresh' SJF, I tend to nurse it along, and it burns longer and not as hot.

I'll say this about SG's and Gaw/Ho and Co flakes I've tried to date. Tins, yah, pretty damp. Boxes not so much. I load the flakes broken across the grain at bowl height and loosely twist them in. No real dry time. Hit it with flame and it'll go out eventually, early on. the relight brings it to light and just goes.
Thanks, mate.

I love FVF. I didn't really try it for the first time until a few years ago, but it's top notch. If you're able to get a hold of some aged tins (or, if you have a lot of patience), I would let them age for at least 3 years at a minimum. 7+ makes a world of difference.

I do prefer SJF just a bit, but I'm a firm believer that Perique makes everything better.

Broken record but....

Great Stuff! I've got about 3 lbs of FVF that I jarred in several 8oz masons round about '12 or '13 and 1 lb of BBF jarred at about the same time. I haven't cracked them open yet but now y'all are putting thoughts into my head! :D