Show off your favorite pipe!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
Here's one we haven't done in a while, and things are always changing, so it's time to have another go.

Show off your favorite pipe! Or pipes. I know many won't be able to narrow it down to just one. Maybe one from each category in your collection, or whatever. Just show off what thrills you most.

I'll show a few of mine from various categories in subsequent posts as this thing rolls along. Should be fun. I'll start with my Petes. This bad boy is my favorite Peterson pipe, a big XL5S Deluxe System pipe with acrylic P lip (complete with metal condensor, which I use). It's dedicated to plug cut burleyweed and gives me a good 90 minutes of smoking. Purchased it new but it is hallmarked 1991.

I like it! But, I'm a sucker for good L k'en pipes.

It's real hard for me to pick just one pipe as a favorite but, if I could pick just two It have to be my Viprati 2001 POY and my 1910 cased Barling. ;)

Two of mine are a pair of Dunhills. (Dunhill haters, we know how you feel so no need to respond :twisted: ) First is a 1955 Patent Tanshell Billiard:

Next is my Dunhill Shell Apple Patent from the '40s.:

And my third choice would have to be my Charatan Special Banker I got back in the early '70s :

Three of the finest smoking pipes I own!!

Well, I went and done thought this would be difficult. Out of, say, 60 pipes I own, there are 45 that I love, smoke very well, and wouldn't want to part with. Putting my mind to it, though, I narrowed things down to this formula: a.) what's my favorite shape? and b.) which one is the best liked of that group? Answer: straight billiards, first, last, and always.

Of the two pipes below, I thought the Dunhill LBS would have the edge. My preference is for sandblasts. But I think I like the Jesse Jones, acquired through the generosity of Kyle Weiss, just a bit better. Once it develops a heavy patina, I'll like it even more, smooth patina being my second favorite look. This is the only pipe I have dedicated to Virginias.

(Needless to say, writing the above seems like treason to other worthy pipes. There's a phrase for this: invidious comparisons. Ah well, they'll get over it, the sobs coming from the rack will subside, and life will go on.)

If "favourite" means the pipe I smoke most often, then it's this humble Brigham 118 Pear. I salvaged this one after it had spent years sitting in a barn or shed window. One side was bleached white from the sun, and the other side didn't look much better. I love the stem on this one - thin enough to clench very comfortably, and wide enough at the button to stay stable in the teeth for hours.

20151020_100344.jpg

Its a hard decision. Right now it is between my Ferndown Tudor root 3* bent bulldog or my 3* Straight grain bent billiard Ferndown.

Picking my favorite English pipe is easy enough, as I only own one. Alfred Dunhill's The White spot, shape 4110 Liverpool, in Cumberland finish, cut in 2015.

Puff Daddy":ofwztrte said:
Just show off what thrills you most.
I'm thrilled by so many pipes in my collection especially in what has been called my world class Epoca Collection it's hard to say but these two pipes that were inspired by Epoca's in that collection that were gifted to me (check out the latest NASP The Pipe Collector for more) by my buddy Adam from Carmette Pipes have thrilled me since January! :shock:

img_0715.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=371473369879698&id=100010511130052&pnref=story

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=371472949879740&id=100010511130052&pnref=story

Riff,
You have to have one of the most FANTASTIC collections of Rhodies ! :twisted:

monbla256":ht0ngahz said:
Riff,
You have to have one of the most FANTASTIC collections of Rhodies ! :twisted:
Thanks, I have a pretty narrow shape range...

My favoritism changes with the wind!  Right now it's probably this Peterson Moran...

005_zpsc7f9c042.jpg

but it might be this Mycroft, now that I've gotten it back from Peterson with a proper (P-lip) mouthpiece  :D ...

IMG_1050_zpsiw7gcxk1.jpg

Since we are now going by country here are my two favorite Italian pipes:
First up is my Punto Oro 1024 Pot from the late '60s:

Next is another Punto Oro my 512 ks Pot I got a few years ago:

I have 6 PO's and truly everyone is a lovely pipe in all aspects.

Just received another favorite from a very kind and generous friend/customer, a early Rainer Barbi. ;)

It's a cripple with a hairline crack in the shank, but I've never bothered to fix it because it secures the stem per normal.  Somewhat thinner walls than I like, but one of those special pieces of wood that smokes cool in almost all conditions (wind, etc).  Nice, super-wide bit.  Really, there is nothing special about it at all but the comfortable bit and reliable, fantastic smoke it gives each and every time. 119KS.

0U80qO8.jpg