Smoking Outdoors

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstueart

Reaction score
For several reasons I am currently forced to do all of my smoking outdoors. This is sometimes a pleasure, but being in Boston right now, with frigid temperatures, I am not quite enjoying it all as much as I should. It's been a while since I've finished an entire pipeful because it's too damned cold, and watching all that lovely precious smoke and aroma dash off with the winter winds is very frustrating. I have stocked up on some rather hearty belnds to help compensate but not being able to enjoy the calmness of a long-savored bowl of some exquisite tobaccos is weighing on me. I take every chance to go walking in the woods with the dogs so I can move and smoke, but this too is becoming difficult what with the deep snow and ice everywhere. Sometimes I drive around just so that I can smoke, and this is probably the best situation I've been able to find.

From what I read, I must not be alone in this. Many smokers are not allowed to perfume their homes due to their various partners, housemates, and so on. Others probably must smoke outdoors because of their jobs/work/daily pursuits,

So, for those of you who are also stuck or banned to the outdoors for your smokes, any thoughts on how to better the experience? Favorite tobaccos for a frigid day outside, best shelters, techniques, etc.?

I smoke on my back porch if the temperature is not too frigid. Otherwise I retreat to the garage. The garage door has to remain open though so that I don't stink up the place, but at least I am sheltered from the wind and I can use a small space heater for extra warmth. If the temperature drops in the teens or below, I just don't smoke.

For outdoor smoking in cold weather, I prefer full flavored balkans and englishes.

I smoke in the garage also, unless its too cold to enjoy it...tonight its 16 degrees so no smoke.

If you have a backyard start a fire. You can purchase one of those outdoor fire pits with a top and all that so you will not burn anything down...plus since it is not an "open" fire it might have a larger chance of being legal (depending on fire codes where you live). Check into it...get a firepit (about 150 bucks) and grab a chair. Life is good then.

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t11269-lowest-outdoor-temp-you-go

cakes are good for windy walks, and pipes you don't care about marking with your teeth

I hate smoking in the cold! I do have a small bowl Savinelli that works well while standing in the garage. It has been in the single digits here outside Chicago so I haven't been out there much. I also have a long commute so that helps with 2 bowls. I can, fortunately, smoke in the "man cave" but only after the kids are in bed...thats the agreement. But during the weekends its outside or late night...we do the best with what we can, right?

Backyard. If the wind is blowing too hard or it's cold, I go the the garage. On occasion, I've been known to sit in the John, and let the exhaust fan take care of the smoke. Now, if I could just fit the Lazyboy in there........

<a href='/u1122' rel='nofollow' title='Viewing profile: fishnrust'>@fishnrust</a>":85jyg9ha said:
On occasion, I've been known to sit in the John, and let the exhaust fan take care of the smoke. Now, if I could just fit the Lazyboy in there........
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SxBbmoUdEac" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've been meaning to take pix and post them on this topic. I only smoke outdoors and although Arkansas isn't that cold, we do have a few months of cold rain and snow, and nights in the teens. I have a large yard with several fire pits, but what I've found myself using most is this small, suitcase charcoal grill (WallyWorld sells them every summer for $15 -$20). Legs pop out, top opens up, hinged on back, perhaps 14" wide, 10" deep, and top and bottom are 4" deep. Cheap POS from China, but I've found them the secret to cold weather outdoor puffing.

Get an old scrap of rug a yard or so across to put under it (so any errant embers that hop out don't burn your porch/deck), and you have a one-person movable fire pit. I burn mine on my wooden porch, move it to where ever the wind is the least. With the top open, it reflects the heat back towards me, and there's just enough room under the bottom to slide my feet, keeping them nice and toasty. I just walk through my yard and woods every week or so and pick up all the sticks and twigs that have fallen from the trees. Actually, I recently cut down a bunch of Eastern Red Cedars and just bought a log splitter, so I have tuns of dried, split cedar, what a smell!).

If I need to go inside and don't want to leave a fire on the porch near the house, just close the lid and all the vents, and it goes out in a few minutes.

Natch

Porch sitting is not really an option, but I can catch a few minutes with a small bowl while exchanging pleasantries w/ my neighbors two doors down, both of whom are cigarette smokers. Not perfect, but do-able except when the weather comes from the north, and the snow/freezing rain cuts the smoke shorter than I prefer.

One of the nice thing about Southern California is obviously the weather. It rarely gets cold enough to scuttle an outside smoke. I like to take walks through the neighborhood while puffing. Wind of course is no one's friend, but then I just settle on the porch which is not too exposed.

<a href='/u1531' rel='nofollow' title='Viewing profile: cstueart'>@cstueart</a>":y3vtgslu said:
For several reasons I am currently forced to do all of my smoking outdoors. This is sometimes a pleasure, but being in Boston right now, with frigid temperatures, I am not quite enjoying it all as much as I should. It's been a while since I've finished an entire pipeful because it's too damned cold, and watching all that lovely precious smoke and aroma dash off with the winter winds is very frustrating. I have stocked up on some rather hearty belnds to help compensate but not being able to enjoy the calmness of a long-savored bowl of some exquisite tobaccos is weighing on me. I take every chance to go walking in the woods with the dogs so I can move and smoke, but this too is becoming difficult what with the deep snow and ice everywhere. Sometimes I drive around just so that I can smoke, and this is probably the best situation I've been able to find.

From what I read, I must not be alone in this. Many smokers are not allowed to perfume their homes due to their various partners, housemates, and so on. Others probably must smoke outdoors because of their jobs/work/daily pursuits,

So, for those of you who are also stuck or banned to the outdoors for your smokes, any thoughts on how to better the experience? Favorite tobaccos for a frigid day outside, best shelters, techniques, etc.?
It was -30º with windchill yesterday! I pity you, good sir.
I did have this problem in years past here, living in nonsmoking buildings, and found that alleyways, especially where buildings have protrusions to block the wind, work especially well. As do walks in dense parks.
As for tobacco, I'm a fan of flakes, which are fairly wind-resistant. English blends are also pretty slow burning, if you're a fan.

When it's too cold outside, I sit in the company truck and turn the heater on every so often and listen to the FM college station.

<a href='/u1205' rel='nofollow' title='Viewing profile: hobie1dog'>@hobie1dog</a>":p61zzgjf said:
When it's too cold outside, I sit in the company truck and turn the heater on every so often and listen to the FM college station.
What would we do without company trucks? :D

I just posted my solution in the photo gallery (smoking cabin). It won't help you now, but maybe next year.

Oh how I long for a man cave. I was up In Indy for Christmas and smoked while the temps were in the low tens. That was too cold even for me, and I love the cold weather. I actually have an additional problem. Here in NC it gets so hot and humid that you can't s smoke outside even in the summer. Last year we had 87 days with 90+ degrees and humidity so high that I was drenched after just a few moments outside. Oh, and lets not even talk about the swamp like populations of mosquitos. As we don't have a basement because the red clay soil is so crap that they just don't build houses with them.

Needless to say I'm scheming for an outdoor cooled and heated man cave but wood sheds are flipping expensive. I'm hoping that my buddy and I can build one from some basic lumber but I don't think the wife will go for it as we have other expenses. I need more stable weather! Lol. Boy was that a rant, but I've been annoyed by a lack of a man cave for years. Ha!

Needless to say I can only smoke outside.

Martin :bounce:

<a href='/u1213' rel='nofollow' title='Viewing profile: utahpipeman'>@utahpipeman</a>":s1xqfypj said:
I just posted my solution in the photo gallery (smoking cabin). It won't help you now, but maybe next year.
It would help if you invited us over :D

<a href='/u1122' rel='nofollow' title='Viewing profile: fishnrust'>@fishnrust</a>":wx8bxn1u said:
Backyard. If the wind is blowing too hard or it's cold, I go the the garage. On occasion, I've been known to sit in the John, and let the exhaust fan take care of the smoke. Now, if I could just fit the Lazyboy in there........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-V04Q-Ymhk

@ 2:54 your problem is solved :lol:

My wife prefers that I smoke outdoors, but I am like you guys, pipe smoking is no fun when it's cold or rainy. I have found a solution that works for me. Our children are grown and I have taken over the upstairs bathroom. Cup of coffee or tea, good book and loaded pipe with the exhaust fan going, and all are happy. Hope everyone finds something that works for them. An evening without a pipe, well I don't want to think about it.

<a href='/u1548' rel='nofollow' title='Viewing profile: Navydad'>@Navydad</a>":92bnq73f said:
An evening without a pipe, well I don't want to think about it.
I hear ya!