So what age exactly is a Senior Citizen?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Senior Citizen. We hear this term or categorization regularly. But what actually constitutes a citizen who is now considered "Senior"?

Age? Yes, but what are the "official designations" of this, even if there is such a thing. And where is it designated, and by what ruling entity??

Seems to me to be a somewhat ambiguous concept, open to interpretation (always a recipe for much dissent and arguments.) And going further along this thought line, what does that represent as far as the now "classified and branded Senior Citizen" is concerned?

What does one expect from them, other than random musings on what it was like in "the old days" which have no relation to so-called modern society? (Don't worry kids, Grandpa is just going through this time of his life. He doesn't mean any harm. He's just getting forgetful, that's all).

OK so that was an unexpected and sudden outburst. Yet the question remains thus-

At what age is one considered a "Senior Citizen"?

I will admit that when I reached 60 I qualified for the "Senior Discount" at my local barber. No way did I consider myself a Senior Citizen at that point (but took the discount just the same - so sue me....lol).

Now at 65 I still don't consider myself a "Senior". Guess I always thought it was for "old folks". But at what age does that begin?

Vote the poll and state your opinion.

Cheers,

RR

Since AARP lets you join at 50, I guess that's the age where "senior citizen" begins !! :twisted: :twisted:

When you are over 50, it's either A) Wiz's answer (someone older than you) or B) when you feel that way (some days I do, most days I don't -- I imagine the proportions will change in time!).

Under fifty, anyone more than 20 years older than you! ;)

I voted for 65 but having said that I'm not sure when you start feeling like you are "Senior". When I was a kid I remember feeling that my parents and grandparents really had the adult thing figured out, now I'm 49 and I still wondering when I'm going to get it all figured out? :scratch:

I've been in construction my whole life and I feel very old in my mid 50's. Nobody gives a second thought giving me the senior discount at the movies, hotels and stores. I just hope they don't up the medicare age on me. :shock:

Brewdude":9ol5jefm said:
KevinM":9ol5jefm said:
Ummm, how come the checklist ends at 75?
Doesn't have to. 76? 80?

:?:

Cheers,

RR
Brew — 75 was supposed to be a little joke. My missus tells me my jokes are often so “little” no one gets them? Hint: note the age in my post’s profile ?

swhipple":mnvn4l6q said:
I voted for 65 but having said that I'm not sure when you start feeling like you are "Senior". When I was a kid I remember feeling that my parents and grandparents really had the adult thing figured out, now I'm 49 and I still wondering when I'm going to get it all figured out? :scratch:
Yup, 65 is the new 60.  I blame it on better healthcare and the government upping retirement age.

Standard government answer..."it depends!!" I checked 62, the age at which one can collect SS (in the States!). Could opt for 65, age for Medicare. AARP lets you in at 50, they just want the dues money!! Depending on the venue/business, "Senior" discounts usually start in the early 60's; some in the late 50's. I belong to a newly built "Senior Healthy Living Center," entry age = 50!!!! I agree with many of you that it all depends on how you feel and the state of your health. I'm 71 1/2, don't feel it! I may look it, but don't feel it (most of the time!!). Work out 4-5 times a week, walk whenever and wherever feasible. Now I guess the next topic should be "Define Middle Age!!" That'll get the youngsters stirred up!! :p :p :cheers: FTRPLT

Since our entire lives are founded around capitalism and corporatism, I have to go with the Early Bird Special rule. Isn't that always 65? I believe so. I'm going with that.

Stick":hpuxw5cs said:
You're as young as the woman you feel, ahem.

;)

I like your answer, Stick! :roll:  :lol:

I don't know what age a senior really is.   The other day while shopping at Walmart, I helped a man get something off the shelf.  He seemed "older" than I am, but what sealed the deal was when he said to me, "thank you young man!" At that time, I guess I was a young man!

KevinM":zhmuz4b9 said:
Brewdude":zhmuz4b9 said:
KevinM":zhmuz4b9 said:
Ummm, how come the checklist ends at 75?
Doesn't have to. 76? 80?

:?:

Cheers,

RR
Brew — 75 was supposed to be a little joke. My missus tells me my jokes are often so “little” no one gets them?  Hint: note the age in my post’s profile ?
Yes, I saw that but it was too late to change the poll. I would have put in 80 as the upper number but there were a limited amount of poll choices. And I figured 60 was the right starting age, with 62 being the age at which one can start receiving SS. And then 65, 70 and finally 75. Ran out of options at that point.

As a sidebar, there's an organization here in W. Washington known as SHAG (no - not the Brit abbreviation for a swift sexual encounter) which stands for Senior Housing Assistance Group. They seem to be running many TV commercials inviting Seniors to consider living in one of their many Condo/Apartment complexes. Apparently the minimum age is 60, or 55 with a disability.

The commercials all have a bunch of happy looking Seniors engaging in healthy activities such as working out in their "activity centres", doing gardening chores on the rooftops of the complexes, attending a group BBQ and rocking out to some music (somewhat off-putting afaic as it's so put-on), going out on a shopping expedition via a SHAG small bus, etc.

I haven't looked into the costs but apparently it's variable depending on one's requirements (ya so is everything, ya know!)

This all makes me want to retch, frankly. And to be fair, this probably appeals to some segment of Seniors and retirees who wish to live in close proximity of those of a similar age and disposition. Bully for them, say I.

For my part, this seems one short step away from an assisted living centre. And frankly I'm many years from that, and hope it never gets there as well. At least I'll be working towards that going forward.

Yes I do recognize some need the constant care that only one of these facilities can offer. Perhaps some of us here already have relatives and loved ones in this sort of institution. I do as well, actually.

So wtf am I saying? (Sometimes it's hard to tell when I get out on one of these tangents).

I guess only that I'm not yet ready for a "retirement community", and that whatever choices I make going forward will be dictated by that. And while my retirement is imminent I'll choose wisely. Or at least I like to believe.

:bom:

Cheers,

RR

Too old to stroll,
Too pooped to pop.
You're a Senior if you remember the rest of the lines of the above song (G)..