Spinal Implant.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puros_bran

Reaction score
Since everyone else is crying tonight. :p

I'm 13 days from getting a trial implant. Kinda stoked.. If it works 100% it will be the first time in 17 months I haven't been in pain of some degree.

If it doesn't work I'll be in a wheel chair, zonked out on narcotics, for life.

Last Ditch Efforts are exhilarating and terrifying at the same time.

Realistically the procedure is considered a success if it lowers perceived pain by 50% or more. Half rate would lower my Narcotics usage to 500mg per month and would lower my non-narcotic nerve agents to 4500mg per month. I'd take it, but I'm gunning for 100%!

It's an interesting procedure.. They put these wires in your spine and hook it to machinery that intercepts pain signals and sends different frequencies up the spine to the brain. If the trial is successful they run what amounts to conduit down your spine and put the machinery in your butt/hip. Then they remove some bone and basically graft these paddles up and down your spine. Then everything is connected up and you my friend are a cyborg. Lol.

Ok, let me get this straight. You are going to have machinery in your butt? :D

I spent years on pain meds, so I know the incentive to take the risk to have the surgery. I remember my OS telling me once, before we can consider surgery, we need to define "need."

Sounds like you qualify for sure PB.

Here's hoping everything goes well, and you can get back out and chase the white line in a few months.

Yeah.  I'm going to have a battery in my butt.  

Scars the crap out of me when I think about it.. But I'll look cool with a spiffy medalert bracelet.. And I'm going to ask for a USB hub so I can charge my phone when it's low.  Lol.

Yeah some of my crap even makes me :fpalm:

Yikes! That sounds like something out of a si-fi movie peeb. Yet if it gets you to the point of substantially less pain and off some heavy duty meds then go for it. 

:shock: 

Cheers,

RR

Dang, PB!  That is some scary stuff. (yet interesting and something to look forward to as well)

Considering the shape your're in now, it sounds like it's worth the risk.  
Obviously you've made your choice to go forward with the implant, and we're all hoping for the best possible outcome - as you are i'm sure.

P.S. - you know we'll give you crap about it either way, so make sure your USB Hub at least 1 USB 3.0 port - for future upgrades.   :p

puros_bran":p087dtnc said:
  If the trial is successful they run what amounts to conduit down your spine and put the machinery in your butt/hip.  
Butt to head wiring,,,Butthead.  :p

Sounds like a BoB science exclusive and we expect pictures.
Seriously, hope all goes well and you get some relief. Prayers sent your way.

battery in your butt LOL

puros_bran":7ybn2fv5 said:
They put these wires in your spine and hook it to machinery that intercepts pain signals and sends different frequencies up the spine to the brain.
With PB's luck, the doctor in charge will reprogram the box to send 'pleasure' signals to his brain - causing him to walk around with a continuous Stiffie - no pills needed!  :cheers:

Hey PB, best wishes and prayers for a successful and effective surgery.

:cheers:

Good luck, PB. I wish you good luck with the procedure and hope that it will work well for you. It sounds like the recovery after the surgery may be painful. What kind of post-surgery maintenance will the apparatus require? I suppose you have at least to change that battery every so often...

So I guess what you're getting is kind of a more-advanced built-in TENS box?

Good luck to you in your surgery, PB. I hope you come out the other side with less overall pain.

PB, Get it done, get to feeling better, get your batteried-butt back in the truck and start navigatin' those white lines :p Good damn luck, Bro :) :) :cheers: FTRPLT

Hope all works out well for you! Sounds really different but it is the 21st century, right? My prayers are with you guy .

You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Actually, you may be a Six Million Dollar Man! Anything to keep Big Pharm out of you pocket, right?

Sounds pretty cool to me...

Ka'Plah!

A heck of a thing to go through PB but the benefits could be life changing Buddy, prayers and best wishes coming your way.

Sounds scary as all hell, but the thought of a cyborg PB fills me with great joy.
Good luck, man.

ftrplt":t4k40jiv said:
PB, Get it done, get to feeling better, get your batteried-butt back in the truck and start navigatin' those white lines :p Good damn luck, Bro :) :) :cheers: FTRPLT
Can't happen.  You aren't allowed to drive with the system on. And I know where I'm at without assistance.

That's the only suck part about the deal. It doesn't fix anything it just masks it.  The last neurosurgeon I visited tried to say it did fix the problem because pain is the problem.  Which I interpreted as "I don't really understand what's going on so I'll talk crap and sound authoritative"... I know what that sounds like because I do it here all the time. :cheers: :cheers:

I'll either be medically retired (very likely at this point) or I'll be retrained with 14 months of schooling. Or I'll say screw it and go back into being a gigolo. :lol!:

Best of luck PB, I hope it goes as well as you want.
But tell me, do they change the batteries every month  or just hook up your toilet as a docking station? :lol!:

Adam

Good luck Brandan. I hope you get relief from the agonizing pain. :)

AJ