Stuff I been working on....

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos

Administrator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Some pics. The completed rifle is a .54cal Woodsrunner kit from Kibler Longrifles. I want to polish the lock over winter. Or if I get time. Last two pics are the current project. A Southern Mountain Rifle in .40cal. Another Kibler Longrifles kit. This will be the fourth one. Really outstanding grain. The Woodsrunner was finished in iron nitrate, then tannic acid. The finish coats were Sutherland Welles tung oil. The last two pics that is just a stain. Laurel Mountain Forge Honey Maple. No finish on it yet. My front porch workshop. LOL (If the pics are too big, try clicking on them, they may get smaller.)

IMG_3190.jpeg

IMG_3191.jpeg

IMG_3192.jpeg

IMG_3193.jpeg

IMG_3198.jpeg

IMG_3200.jpeg

Built a 50 cal Hawken percussion lock way back when too. Looked like pallet wood compared to that Tiger of yours. But it surely did shoot. From a stand up leaning rest at 75 yds I could regularly put three mini balls into a circle the diameter of a 12 oz can - using pyrodex. Not professional but good enough for hunting. In a moment of weakness I traded it for a stainless 10mm Colt Delta Elite.

No, not really. Even my .58 is just a good solid push. That's the nature of black powder.
That’s been my experience too. Black Powder burns slower than modern smokeless and so the recoil is spread over a longer period. It was always the delay that got me. Heck, me n’the boys could do a couple hands of canasta after I pulled the trigger til when the powder finally caught. Well, you know, approximately. 🏴‍☠️

Gorgeous grain! I have been looking at those kits for years and have just never pulled the trigger on one, I have an old .44 blackpowder revolver I used to shoot quite a bit but I just got tired of having to clean it lol.

Outstanding results. I don't have the patience, but your work pegs you as a talented craftsman.