Suggestions for Winter Aromatic smoking

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derlict311

Reaction score
My better half has been hounding me more and more lately about the odor that I give off after smoking. No matter what it is, she's predisposed to say the same crap about it. This winter I would like to try tobacco that pleases both myself and my wife, at least while I'm confined to the indoors.

What blends are easy for non-smokers to tolerate and are still interesting enough to satisfy a finicky smoker?
P.S. Hmmm...Firedance is blend that comes to mind...

While Firedance has a good room note, there are others that might be better suited to pleasing her.

McClelland's 20XX Holiday Spirit and Boswell's Christmas Cookie both come to mind right off hand. Both are excellent aromatics with the best room notes I've found in any Aromatic pipe tobacco. Both are top notch blends of the highest quality and will please you as well.

Dan Tobacco's Milonga would be in that top 3 list as well. A little lighter casing on it, but still a fantastic taste and smell. It also has a larger percentage of VA's, so that might tickle your fancy as well.

I've never had a complaint about MacB's Vanilla Cream's room note. Gotta keep it burnin' real low and puff it slowly, but when it's smoked right it's awfully tasty.

I'll be looking into those three Rob. Christmas Cookie? Do you "get" anything out of it (i.e. nicotine)?

I've tried MacBaren Vanilla Cream before. Meh. Fortunately, you get a lot for a little price. Anything with more umph though?

Maybe that's what I'm wondering: where are the aros that give that "nic hit" and have the added benefit of a great smell?

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I didn't get a large Nic hit from any of those blends, but I think that the Milonga was about the best for 'oomph'. The Holiday Spirit and Christmas Cookie just flat-out smelled great and tasted great as well. I think the VA's help the Milonga in terms of depth and character.

It all comes down to this: the first two are more wife-friendly in the room note category, and the Milonga being more smoker-friendly - but still a really nice room note.

Maybe smoke a bowl of something strong and satisfying to you, then finish up with a small bowl of something with a great room note? Kinda like a nice meal with a sweet little dessert. I've had to go that way when trying to keep the better half's good graces.

Mac Baren Honey & Chocolate has good nicotine content ... and it smells like baking brownies.

Awww, screw it! Lat Bomb the hell out of the house - just once. After that, she'll appreciate ANY Aromatic blend you smoke around her. :twisted:

Sounds like a perfect reason to smoke a bowl of Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard! :mrgreen:

That would make for one chilly evening in this house! :idea: Better yet, start dropping little bits of Ol' Limey Bastard in her coffee. Somewhere in that brain she would think how familiar it is and boom.....enjoy the smell!

Now that's a pipe dream.

After three wives and a few "friends", I'm afraid your'e fightin' a loosing battle. Once they start to disslike "..how you smell" after smoking a pipe, I've found NO blend Aro or otherwise works. Sounds like you folks are going to have to "agree to disagree" about this one :twisted:

1792 :D Although way more of a scented tobacco than an aromatic. But it just dawned on me last night how great of a winter tobacco this one is.

8) That'd do it. 1792 is about a foul as it gets, or should I say "masculine"? I ought to try it.

derlict311":unkltfvq said:
8) That'd do it. 1792 is about a foul as it gets, or should I say "masculine"? I ought to try it.
Ha, Ha! You totally should. ;)

But then again, I love the Lakelands. If you don't, maybe you shouldn't. :D

I definitely second the Milonga, darn good stuff, I have 2 pounds of it waiting at home for me.

kaiser83":64r8tnfw said:
I definitely second the Milonga, darn good stuff, I have 2 pounds of it waiting at home for me.
Two pounds !?!?! :shock:

I'm gonna have to try this stuff.

My fav Aro that I love and my whole family loves the smell of...

Cornell & Diehl Autumn Evening. Maple to the extreem :!:
also try
McClelland Nutty Hazel. smells nice like hazelnut coffee
McClelland Georgian Cream, like peach pie

The three sweetest smelling blends I could think of, hope that helps!

Asked the same Q awhile back. I put in a supply of McCl 2000 Fragrant Matured Cake, Wilke 191, Wilke Rumcake and Wilke Vermont Maple. Also have Lane RLP-6 and 1Q and keep vacillating between 'em as to preference. Sometimes you just have to tell 'em that there has to be a sweet spot between "Not here, Not ever" and "Anytime, Anyplace."

derlict311":b1seaqfw said:
I've mixed 1792 with various aromatics (usually about 1/4 to 1/3 1792) and it gives me the nic punch and taste I want, but with the right aromatic, it can have a rather pleasant room note. Trout Stream comes to mind as one that plays well with the big, harry flake.

Natch

Great intel guys. Ill be taking some of these suggestions asap. I tried an aro last night just to see if I could get away with it again. She Who Must Be Obeyed loved the smell. Maybe I should woo her with the aros for a while and then go back to what I really like. Hahahaha :lol!: