Suggestions for Winter Aromatic smoking

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Natch":nwclmyup said:
derlict311":nwclmyup said:
8) That'd do it. 1792 is about a foul as it gets, or should I say "masculine"? I ought to try it.
I've mixed 1792 with various aromatics (usually about 1/4 to 1/3 1792) and it gives me the nic punch and taste I want, but with the right aromatic, it can have a rather pleasant room note. Trout Stream comes to mind as one that plays well with the big, harry flake.

Natch
I look forward to trying this Natch. I'll report back.

Rob_In_MO":28bwodge said:
Awww, screw it! Lat Bomb the hell out of the house - just once. After that, she'll appreciate ANY Aromatic blend you smoke around her. :twisted:

Sounds like a perfect reason to smoke a bowl of Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard! :mrgreen:

Careful what you wish for, my wife actually likes Latakia, doesn't care for anything else. The problem is I most smoke straight VA. :no:

I second the suggestion of McClelland's Holiday Spirit. Also, you can never go wrong with good old 1Q.

I'll have to agree with the McClelland #2000 fragrant mature cake. It fits the bill with some aroma for the masses and great Va flavor for the piper.

Has anyone mentioned Boswell's Countryside or Just for Him's Shortcut to Mushrooms?
I ask because both of these are latakia-based aromatics that smell great, at least according to all the comments I've gotten from them. You'll never be able to deceived yourself into thinking that you're smoking Nightcap or something, but you can definitely taste the latakia in a major way with them.

DrumsAndBeer":pmzsy0es said:
1792 :D Although way more of a scented tobacco than an aromatic. But it just dawned on me last night how great of a winter tobacco this one is.
Ahh, and who doesn't enjoy the pleasant aroma of burning tires? It just gives the smoker a relaxing sense that they're caught between two warlords in some urban african battleground.

I can almost feel the 7.62 rounds zipping past my head.

jj1015":ykb0za95 said:
Has anyone mentioned Boswell's Countryside or Just for Him's Shortcut to Mushrooms?
I ask because both of these are latakia-based aromatics that smell great, at least according to all the comments I've gotten from them. You'll never be able to deceived yourself into thinking that you're smoking Nightcap or something, but you can definitely taste the latakia in a major way with them.
I've tried (and still smoke occasionally) Countryside and quite enjoy it. I don't find it that much of an aromatic, perhaps at the level of FM or a bit more, but then my sense of smell isn't that great.

Natch

Storm_Crow":6tp5b2hs said:
Ahh, and who doesn't enjoy the pleasant aroma of burning tires? It just gives the smoker a relaxing sense that they're caught between two warlords in some urban african battleground.

I can almost feel the 7.62 rounds zipping past my head.
Storm Crow, I don't get the "burning tire" thing from 1792 at all. Often times I wonder if "burning tires" is some sort of assumption that's been perpetuated through tobacco-tall-tales over the course of several hundred years, because my local tobacconist said the same thing even though he admitted whole-heartedly to having never smoked it before. :roll:

If anything the room note is much more of a delicate wood smoke, vanilla and baby powder kind of scent. It's quite soft. My wife, who hates the smell of latakia, and most blends containing dark fired commented on the scent of 1792 by saying "You know Chris, that one is not so bad."

But burning tires? :?: Ah no. ;)

Pease's Barbary Coast is what I smoke around others. The smell is awesome and I love the flavor. Takes some practice to get the smoking down on it but once you get in the zone it's lovely stuff.

i think my fav aro for quite sometime will be............

W.O. Larsen SIGNATURE.

i has a berry something hard-to-explain flavor that i like. also has enough biting VA to let me know its not just a candy tobac.

i can actually smell that one in a room the next day.

'bout finished a tin of it and forsee purchases in the future!

camo

Would just like to suggest John Middleton's Sugar Barrel. Probably my favorite light aromatic. Smells great, tastes good, is inexpensive and burns well. I love the smell of vanilla aromatics like Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream or Finck's Danish Black and Gold (blended by Peter Stokkebye), but I always feel they don't burn quite how I would like them to. On the other hand, when I do smoke Sugar Barrel I don't leave the bowl with that perception.

I'd second KevinM's recommendations for Pipeworks & Wilke Rumcake, Vermont Maple or 191. Three of my favorite aromatics and super-light casing.

As stated earlier MC 2000, C&D Autumn Evening, or Holiday Spirit, depending in the level of sweet you need. MC 2000 (Fragrant Matured Cake) satisfies the VA craving while smelling terrific. I wouldn't call it an aro, but it is nice room note.

joemelon":6j2s4ubf said:
Would just like to suggest John Middleton's Sugar Barrel. Probably my favorite light aromatic. Smells great, tastes good, is inexpensive and burns well.
An excellent suggestion! I almost forgot about this one, it really is great.

I like to smoke it in a cob in the summer. It reminds me of kettle corn at the state fair.

Dave_In_Philly":dvg1a1l9 said:
joemelon":dvg1a1l9 said:
Would just like to suggest John Middleton's Sugar Barrel. Probably my favorite light aromatic. Smells great, tastes good, is inexpensive and burns well.
An excellent suggestion! I almost forgot about this one, it really is great.

I like to smoke it in a cob in the summer. It reminds me of kettle corn at the state fair.
Well, just when I thought I was done buying tobacco for the year! :lol:

Had to go purchase some of this from jr... couldn't pass up a Summer cob smoke that hints at kettle corn!! :lol: :D

Simple Man":b3b0sqfr said:
Well, just when I thought I was done buying tobacco for the year! :lol:

Had to go purchase some of this from jr... couldn't pass up a Summer cob smoke that hints at kettle corn!! :lol: :D
Excellent, you won't be disappointed by friend.

mcclellands[ best of show] or town topic tastmaster is there premiem aros there all great. i just orderd 10oz of boswells christmas cookie have never tryd it but every one says its great.

Are there any "English" or G.l. pease blends that have a pleasant aroma or are tolerable to non-smokers? Most people tell me they like the smell of the Frog Morton blends..especially the FMOTT!!

Frog Morton":yu3bdfqi said:
Are there any "English" or G.l. pease blends that have a pleasant aroma or are tolerable to non-smokers? Most people tell me they like the smell of the Frog Morton blends..especially the FMOTT!!
You can always try the new Frog's Cellar, though, its more aro than English. There is always Pembroke (Margate with brandy). Another that doesn't get too much press is a Two Friends blend called Valle Crucis, which is topped with ginger. It's different, but really nice.

Frog Morton":hfvqx3a2 said:
My wife who hates the smell of Latakia as well as dark fired in larger concentration doesn't mind the smell of Cumberland or Barbary Coast. I like both of these blends for their richness. Barbary Coast probably has a more friendly room note. Now please note that neither of these are Latakia blends, but they are wonderful in their own kind of way. I am a huge fan of Pease's Latakias, the ones that I enjoy are sure fire "sleep on the couchers" if you ask my significant other.

The FM blends are pretty sauced up with some kind of vanilla flavoring. IMHO this mutes the goodness of the Latakia used in them. However the effect as you described is a latakia mixture with a more desirable room note for non smokers. That said, you may already have the blend you're looking for ;)