taking the plunge

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered some F&T High Dry Toast the other night. I'll let you know how it is Peter.

petertschantz":tznvgge0 said:
thanks gravel, I read good reviews on the Berwick Brown and the SG Apricot for beginners. The other two I just decided to try ;-)
Berwick Brown in excellent for beginners. Berwick Brown has a very long lasting scent. Much longer than any other Toque snuff. Close to as long as some of the F&T snuffs.

Viking Dark or Brown would be two others that are very easy to take IMO.

I am going to have to go back and look at what a toast is technically. I snuffed a good bit of G&H Kendal Brown. Toque Whiskey & Honey (which marginally disappointed me), and quite a few others that were unflavored. I was just assuming the toasts were actually the ones labeled "toast" in the name because there are quite a few of those out there.

About the only ones from Toque that haven't disappointed me were Spanish Gem, X-Mas pudding, and Chocolate. It has to just be me because there are guys who love toque, but when I compare the quality to WoS, F&T (which is basically WoS being made there and all, but off the old F&T recipes), and SamG, I am just left disappointed by Toque. YMMV of course, just my take on things. Nothing against Roderick over at Toque of course because he is a darn nice guy from correspondence, but I really wish he was able to get trade secrets from WoS lol. Oooohhh....the guy who blends Abraxas used to be a cop, if I remember right, and he spent years on Dragun before he ever released it. Which reminds me of something I have to have done here shortly.

I can't wait for my initial order to get here so I can start trying some. Always better for me to have at least a base line so I can adjust fire.

I appreciate all the feedback, and I'm looking forward to having additional questions.

Pete

This is going to be interesting.

Trying my first snuff, and loving it!

Already have another order in the cart at MrSnuff....

kaiser83":kpn3fbxn said:
petertschantz":kpn3fbxn said:
which toast would you guys recommend to start with? I'm going to get some with my next order...
Not sure, I have a couple at the house but haven't really tried them yet. Sorry i can't help with that one, maybe George has some insight?

Pardon the late response. I didn't realize there was actually stuff going on in The Snuffbox these days. :cheers:
My toast of choice is whatever Wulf, my neighbor and snuff mentor, gives me in baby food jars. I've no idea what it is; probably his own blend. For all I know, he may toast it himself. He's like that.
While I may speak like an authority on the topic, everything I know about snuff comes from Wulf. Two things you should know about him:
1. He used to be a Mod at Snuffhouse.org.
2. He's a crazy person.
Coming from me, that last one should make you guys take notice. It's guys like Wulf that allow guys like me to pass through normal society unnoticed. :p So whatever I say about the reason behind the name of Poschl's Gawith Apricot or anything else snuff-related should be taken with a grain of salt, or maybe a MAO inhibitor.
(I still think there's a hint of menthol in SG Apricot, though.)

duly noted GK!

I've got a couple of toasts now, so kind skipped by this one. And there are more coming!

kaiser83":ek83ofp3 said:
I am going to have to go back and look at what a toast is technically.
Toast is snuff that has literally been slightly burned, giving it a smoky aroma. Legend has it that this was a mistake that caught on. Allegedly a mill or warehouse caught fire, and the wooden barrels of snuff were badly charred. Not one to lose money, the proprietor sold it anyway as a “special” blend. Some say the fire was started by a careless Irishman, hence the name “Irish Toast”. Who knows if any of this is true? It’s tobacco lore, and like most, it seems more authentic when mixed with a good dose of bullshit ;)