Taste AND flavor. WTF!!!!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williamcharles

Reaction score
Would someone, anyone, please be kind enough to explain to me why someone would use the phrase, "The taste and flavor of this tobacco is....."
Isn't taste and flavor, when both are used as nouns, the same thing?
Isn't the taste of an apple the same thing as the flavor of an apple?

I've also heard people say things like, "...the odor and aroma of a rose...".

Why? What's the difference? WTF am I missing?

Actually
I don't believe you are missing anything!!! You are correct in my opinion, they are just repeating themselves trying to be a bit more descriptive. I'm far from being an English scholar but I'm sure others will post on this as well.

I would agree you are generally correct; in usage, however, I would say they are actually used slightly differently --

That tastes like an apple vs That is apple-flavored

or

That apple tastes good vs That apple is flavorful

i.e. verb vs adjective, but when both are used as nouns, the taste is your perception, the flavor is a property of the object, but I would agree there is no reason to use both as in your example.

H'mm, I shouldn't have answered this from my office -- too pedantic. I just stopped in to exchange pipes. . . .

"Taste" being used as anything other than a verb is a bit awkward (but became perfectly acceptable at some point in history), and you can't really say "...I can't wait to flavor this tobacco..." when you use its counterpart in the same manner.

Thanks, English, for being so straightforward. :roll: :lol:

8)

Also, if you see those two words used that way, it'll soon be followed by a misused apostrophe. Or several.

The taste and flavor of Latakia's and Oriental's is really strong. :evil:

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

MisterE":qmwgjtk3 said:
Also, if you see those two words used that way, it'll soon be followed by a misused apostrophe. Or several.
Errant apostrophes irk me. Especially on business signs or advertisements.

"Puppy's For Sale" -- "Kyle Weiss'es's Tobacco's Inc." :p

The only time I use 'em wrong is when I'm usin' 'em to indicate "flavor." (or would that be "flava'"?) :lol:

williamcharles":a4l3byu0 said:
Would someone, anyone, please be kind enough to explain to me why someone would use the phrase, "The taste and flavor of this tobacco is....."

[font="]Actually, I think what they’re trying to describe is the taste of the tobacco versus the flavor of the toppings or casings. For example, Mac Baren 7 Seas Red has a solid taste of Virginias and Black Cavendish with the added flavor of Wild Cherries. [/font]

MisterE":pfbnhpkw said:
Dis cherries jubilee be smackin' me wit taste n' flava, yo! :lol: :lol:
W3RD! :cheers:

By that I mean, gross. :lol:

8)

"There is no such thing as a synonym" - Tom Robbins (and others)

"The meaning of a word is its use in the language" - Ludwig Wittgenstein

They may be using 'taste' to describe the initial hit, and flavour to describe the lingering sensation.

Out of context it is difficult to decide exactly what was intended. The use of both words together may indeed be superfluous.

williamcharles":638z3v2c said:

williamcharles, most people confuse taste with flavor. Taste is a chemical sense perceived by specialized receptor cells that make up taste buds. Flavor is a fusion of multiple senses. To perceive flavor, the ­brain interprets not only gustatory (taste) stimuli, but also olfactory (smell) stimuli and tactile and thermal sensations. With spicy food, the brain will even factor in pain as one aspect of flavor.

My take on the second unanswered question: odor vs. aroma is.....

odor is a negative smell sensation and aroma is a positive one.

The odor of underarm persperation vs. the aroma of cologne.

LIPIPE":zovu4ejd said:

That all makes sense. That must be why we have aromatic, not odormatic, tobaccos.

Buckshot":9y5acf00 said:
LIPIPE":9y5acf00 said:

That all makes sense. That must be why we have aromatic, not odormatic, tobaccos.
Stankomatic = Lakeland. :cheers: :lol:

8)