Taste AND flavor. WTF!!!!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my university professors (BSc. - Food Sciences) was fond of the phrase "You can't have flavour without taste..."; of course, he would usually follow this with, "...and you sir, have none!".

A fun experiment to find out how well your tongue works - well, not so fun, but this thread reminded me of it. Mix up some blue-food colouring 50/50 with tap-water, and swish it around your mouth. Find a handy retainer (remember those funny disk-shaped things from your school days for repairing torn holes in paper?), and place it on your tongue. Count the dots in the center. Most people have somewhere between 15 and 25; if you have less, you have a poor sense of taste; more and you are a "supertaster".
Of course, no matter how many taste-buds are revealed, they can still only detect five tastes - salty, sweet, sour, bitter and umami. There is some argument as to whether a sixth flavour is detectable by some people, however all of the evidence I've read about it is inconclusive. That flavour is calcium (kokumi).

Schmitzbitz":ybvnitug said:
One of my university professors (BSc. - Food Sciences) was fond of the phrase "You can't have flavour without taste..."; of course, he would usually follow this with, "...and you sir, have none!".

A fun experiment to find out how well your tongue works - well, not so fun, but this thread reminded me of it. Mix up some blue-food colouring 50/50 with tap-water, and swish it around your mouth. Find a handy retainer (remember those funny disk-shaped things from your school days for repairing torn holes in paper?), and place it on your tongue. Count the dots in the center. Most people have somewhere between 15 and 25; if you have less, you have a poor sense of taste; more and you are a "supertaster".
Of course, no matter how many taste-buds are revealed, they can still only detect five tastes - salty, sweet, sour, bitter and umami. There is some argument as to whether a sixth flavour is detectable by some people, however all of the evidence I've read about it is inconclusive. That flavour is calcium (kokumi).
I want to do this for the hell of it, but I have no idea what a "retainer" is as you describe it. Perhaps a bit before my time...? Are they still available?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/the-japanese-define-taste-again-2115807.html

Kyle: They are called reinforcements. These stationery items come in a small box like stick matches. They are small white circles with holes in the middle. One needs to lick the glue similar to the glue on an envelope and then stick over the torn hole of a sheet of loose leaf paper. These items go back to the days of loose leaf binders in high school and lined loose leaf paper. You know, around the time that Moses came down from Mt. Sinai with the Ten Commandments.

My apologies for being born in the age of tape. :lol:

Never heard of 'em or seen 'em in use. I wonder if they'll look at me deadpan in an office store if I ask for them. Then again, they look at you deadpan if you ask for pens.
facepalm.gif

Kyle Weiss":n79j8u6s said:
My apologies for being born in the age of tape. :lol:

Never heard of 'em or seen 'em in use. I wonder if they'll look at me deadpan in an office store if I ask for them. Then again, they look at you deadpan if you ask for pens.
facepalm.gif
They are still available (or at least were three years ago), although it has been a long time since they had to be licked in order to be applied (I used them to reenforce the pages of my tenure applications in 1994 & 2009). They now come on a ribbon, pulled from a box -- peel 'em off and stick 'em

Brother - I tried it once - years ago - and threw the pouch in the trash can. I didn't even finish the bowl...
Continuing self-inflicted tongue biting.

:face:

to put it simply...

flavor = taste + smell.

taste is well... taste i.e. sweet, sour, bitter, salty (and umami if you want to get all uppity).