Thanksgiving

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s.ireland

Reaction score
I saw this topic on SF and thought it was a cool idea

Anyone have a Thanksgiving day traditional smoke? A blend you enjoy during the holidays each year? Something special to open and give thanks for?

I have a jar of Stonehaven and an old sealed tin of Haddo's Delight that I am very thankful for. I'll open both on Thanksgiving and enjoy them during the holidays

d4df3ff2.jpg

I never have time to smoke on Thanksgiving--I'm either cooking or eating or napping!

It did remind me of this, though:

If you're at a Thanksgiving dinner, but you don't like the stuffing or the cranberry sauce or anything else, just pretend like you're eating it, but instead, put it all in your lap and form it into a big mushy ball. Then, later, when you're out back having cigars with the boys, let out a big fake cough and throw the ball to the ground. Then say, 'Boy, these are good cigars!'

I will open my Christmas Cheer 2011 on Thanksgiving and smoke it through the holidays.

Im new to smoking but my tradition is going to be to try something new every year.... This year it will be Margate, since I have already had stonehaven and Penzance.

I plan to have a Syrian and Cyprian holiday. I liked latakia until 18 months into my pipe career but then I decided I didn't and have smoked very little of it since. But this is a major tobacco genre that I'm determine to appreciate, so for me it will be Brebbia Balkan and Latakia Flake #9, Balkan Sasieni, MB HH Syrian and the Grim Kreeper, a heavy lat blend blended by, of all people, the cigar man at my B&M.

Much cheer to all of you.

alfredo_buscatti":beg5vmav said:
Grim Kreeper, a heavy lat blend blended by, of all people, the cigar man at my B&M.
That's a helluva name!! Sounds more Halloween than Thanksgiving, no?? :p

You know, it didn't occur to me to open anything special for the holiday. It "kreeped" up on me. We haven't even a turkey yet!! I'll get the turkey then select the blend. :roll:

I also will open some Christmas Cheer.
I have a couple of 2003 tins for this
season. (I'm already hittin' the eggnog.) :twisted:

I just popped a five year old tin of Campanile yesterday, my very last tin. wanted something different and special for the holiday weekend ( 4 days off!), and this fits the bill. Good solid Turkish flavor, nice topping, no latakia, excellent smoke!

Dave_In_Philly":qg1jk48l said:
I will open my Christmas Cheer 2011 on Thanksgiving and smoke it through the holidays.
That is exactly my plan also. :cheers:

I have many compulsions, a few obsessions, but no traditions!

Growing up, our "traditional" Thanksgiving meant dinner at The Sizzler, (they're open on Thanksgiving!) so I never became too attached to holiday food.
Once, back in the early 90's, I was on tour in Europe with a band, and we happened to be in Paris on Thanksgiving. Well, the geniuses in this band found out about a restaurant that made a complete turkey dinner with all the fixins. So, we all piled into cabs, drove halfway across Paris, then got out and walked a couple miles in the cold till we got to this place, (passed some disgruntled looking french hookers too). Well, these guys were sooo excited, and of course they all ordered the turkey dinner. I thought "hell, I didn't come all the way to Paris to eat something I didn't really care for back home"so I ordered a steak. Anyway, the turkey was dry, the mashed potatoes were runny, and everyone was disappointed. I can still hear myself sarcastically saying "wow! you mean the traditional American holiday meal cooked in a French restaurant was not everything you all imagined it would be? Man, I can't believe it!
And my steak was really good.
So when I hear people moaning about how the mashed potatoes aren't like mom used to make, I stay quietly out of it, because the spuds at The Sizzler weren't that bad...

I'll be enjoying Christmas Cheer. I think I'll be able to enjoy it in a new Danish style egg/apple thing. It should be fantastic.

:D Happy Thanksgiving to You All ,

Well, I am going to try some "FVF" for my first time today, Thanks Shane. :D

And some Virginia Squire, also my first, Thanks Natch :D

Theres a slight possibility I will try some Sherlock Holmes that I ordered,

Harlock999":ng1h1bsd said:
I have many compulsions, a few obsessions, but no traditions!

Growing up, our "traditional" Thanksgiving meant dinner at The Sizzler, (they're open on Thanksgiving!) so I never became too attached to holiday food.
Once, back in the early 90's, I was on tour in Europe with a band, and we happened to be in Paris on Thanksgiving. Well, the geniuses in this band found out about a restaurant that made a complete turkey dinner with all the fixins. So, we all piled into cabs, drove halfway across Paris, then got out and walked a couple miles in the cold till we got to this place, (passed some disgruntled looking french hookers too). Well, these guys were sooo excited, and of course they all ordered the turkey dinner. I thought "hell, I didn't come all the way to Paris to eat something I didn't really care for back home"so I ordered a steak. Anyway, the turkey was dry, the mashed potatoes were runny, and everyone was disappointed. I can still hear myself sarcastically saying "wow! you mean the traditional American holiday meal cooked in a French restaurant was not everything you all imagined it would be? Man, I can't believe it!
And my steak was really good.
So when I hear people moaning about how the mashed potatoes aren't like mom used to make, I stay quietly out of it, because the spuds at The Sizzler weren't that bad...
Neat story. Still not going to Sizzler. :lol: Reminds me of band touring too...there's only one way to find out that the good Chinese food in any "China Town" are the places your mother would never allow you to walk into. 8) Hell, the places I played were places my mother would never allow me to walk into. :lol:

Happy Thanksgiving to all the brothers!

I already enjoyed a bowl of Thanksgiving Stonehaven this morning... I'll probably have a bowl of Best Brown flake before dinner then I plan on cracking open that Haddo's for after dinner

I hope all of you and your kin have a wonderful day

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all in the U.S. as well !!!!!!!!!!

My after feast smoke will be a nice Baki meerschaum with some Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. "Bob's Chocolate Flake"; probably 2 bowls worth. I am not usually a latakia or flavoring type of smoker, but this hits the spot after a feast !!!

Tried to get the wife to use a bit of latakia in the Turkey stuffing; she did not go for it !!!!!!!!!!!! LOL !!!!!!!!

Yes, a very happy, peaceful and joyous turkey to all you turkeys! :geek:

Several have mentioned cracking a tin of Christmas Cheer, and didn't we discuss exactly that last year? Or was it at Christmas time? I do recall a thread about opening a special tin during the holidays, but I don't recall if it was at Thanksgiving or Christmas. Regardless, I've got a tin of Arcadia from '03 that is so gassy, it looks ready to explode, (as I"m sure many of you BoB's look about now after stuffing yourselves?!?) . Best to put it out of it's misery.

Natch