The 2012 forum pipe thread (merged and edited for clarity)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DustyRoundup":dx6h89nk said:
Well, I'll buy one of those cobs.

but I'd like to see what it looks like , and how much it costs , before I truly commit .
The cob idea is cool, but, I dont collect cobs , I smoke the crap out of them !
I do however collect briars, I treat them different than I do my cobs. So I might agree to put out some big money for a briar, but , A club cob, is just going to be something of a shelf sitter for me. Kind of a novelty. And I dont put out alot of money for novelties.
So, let me just put it this way. A bob cob for $25.00 or less, sure , I'm in.
above that, ? it will have to be somethin really special .

I think this should be a vote. as it seems we are going to get whatever "the guy who jumps in first to take control" wants. Not exactly what we all as a group want.
And that alone makes me want to shy away. As I dont go for that at all. This is a "group" we should vote as a group. Not just go with whats easiest. Or with, whatever is done quickest, by whoever.
I call for a vote.
My vote is Briar.
I agree to go with the "majority" rules,,,cob or briar.
and this vote should be made public, not done behind the scenes, via PM, to "Anyone". If this vote is NOT done publicly, you can definitely count me OUT!
I'm pretty much with you on all of that. If there be a vote it should be done on a separate, clean, new thread where comments are barred. Just votes on a poll thread.

DustyRoundup":bx64dris said:
Well, I'll buy one of those cobs.

but I'd like to see what it looks like , and how much it costs , before I truly commit .
The cob idea is cool, but, I dont collect cobs , I smoke the crap out of them !
I do however collect briars, I treat them different than I do my cobs. So I might agree to put out some big money for a briar, but , A club cob, is just going to be something of a shelf sitter for me. Kind of a novelty. And I dont put out alot of money for novelties.
So, let me just put it this way. A bob cob for $25.00 or less, sure , I'm in.
above that, ? it will have to be somethin really special .

I think this should be a vote. as it seems we are going to get whatever "the guy who jumps in first to take control" wants. Not exactly what we all as a group want.
And that alone makes me want to shy away. As I dont go for that at all. This is a "group" we should vote as a group. Not just go with whats easiest. Or with, whatever is done quickest, by whoever.
I call for a vote.
My vote is Briar.
I agree to go with the "majority" rules,,,cob or briar.
and this vote should be made public, not done behind the scenes, via PM, to "Anyone". If this vote is NOT done publicly, you can definitely count me OUT!
A group pipe will take quite a bit to put everything together. Yes this is Brothers of BRIAR, however I do not know that there is enough time to get everything together for a 2012 briar BoB pipe. There is probably time for a 2012 cob. The number of people who would commit to a cob, I do not forsee, being that vast of a difference from those who would commit to a briar. Not all manufacturers will be as easy to work with as Mark Tinsky apparently was. My suggestion for a cob is based on gaining an insight into the number of people who show interest versus the number who follow through. I would highly suggest planning and voting publicly on 2013 when there is time for a briar pipe. Regardless the vote is the vote and people will either be in or out based on the results. Public or private (among admin) I could care less just so long as we see some set sort of visual representation before committing. If someone however doesn't take the horns nothing will be accomplished so in that regard suggestions are nice but futile unless progress is made.

A few thoughts...

...we're a pipe forum. The "briar" thing is just a catchy title. No one would strictly adhere to making this an exclusive briar club, at least not anyone currently in power.

In addition, we don't have to have something this year. I'd rather things be planned out well than hurried. We're halfway done with 2012 as it is, guys. Unless we know someone had the gusto, equipment and wherewithal, not to mention the trust with the project, to get it done by the end of the year, patience would be a virtue.

As I've mentioned, a lot of excitement has been stirred with the possible news of a bulldog cob, and I'd like it even more if we could maybe talk to someone at MM about their timing and see how we could maybe get a run of them done when they're ready. Just a laser-etched cob doesn't excite me as much--like PD said, we could make our own for a lot less and a lot less trouble, most likely.

If we're gonna do things like this, let's do it grand and do it right. This ain't no Keystone Light apartment party, this place is the digital variant of an estate shindig, with the best scotch, craft beer, lobster tails and Kobe beef for all--we gotta be unique and the envy of the other forums. :twisted: :lol: (...that includes how we proceed with the plan...I felt bad reading the POY catastrophe on T&P, because they're good guys over there...).

There's about a dime's worth of two cents. 8)

Smokemater, Dusty, and Kyle:

Thanks for the input, I see where you are coming from. I am happy to put all things to a vote.

Consider this the information gathering stage, with a poll thread happening sometime in the near future once i feel that all sides have had a chance to input and ideas have become a little more concrete. as far as novelty/usefulness of the bobcob, I was thinking of going the more USEFUL route for a first go (off the shelf with a laser etch for not much more than the cost of a normal cob), with a more developed fancy idea coming once i had the system worked out.

As far as the cob/ briar debate, I was definitely thinking BOTH! I just feel more comfortable with an active role in the cob category.

Monbla: all MM cobs ARE artisan pipes. they have been making them by hand for WAY MORE THAN 40 YEARS.

jefe1037":7qrsysws said:

Thanks for the input, I see where you are coming from. I am happy to put all things to a vote.

Consider this the information gathering stage, with a poll thread happening sometime in the near future once i feel that all sides have had a chance to input and ideas have become a little more concrete. as far as novelty/usefulness of the bobcob, I was thinking of going the more USEFUL route for a first go (off the shelf with a laser etch for not much more than the cost of a normal cob), with a more developed fancy idea coming once i had the system worked out.

As far as the cob/ briar debate, I was definitely thinking BOTH! I just feel more comfortable with an active role in the cob category.

Monbla: all MM cobs ARE artisan pipes. they have been making them by hand for WAY MORE THAN 40 YEARS.
Agree!!! Where/how do we pay and when will we receive the pipes? :bounce:

SpeedyPete":6v0s3dur said:
Agree!!! Where/how do we pay and when will we receive the pipes? :bounce:
i will keep you updated via the Community in Action board. Just (early) planning stages. I will probably want to do voting after the upcoming holiday to make sure all who travel have a chance to opine. I hope to use an established distributor, and mr patton suggests direct from the factory ordering. Cost of the pipe and shipping will be a factor in who we use. I know the fellows over at aristocob and walker briar works also like to "church up" cobs for sale and I hope to get their input on this project as well. I will be contacting MM directly, too.

Hear, hear.

I also feel we could do both ideas (cob/briar) provided things go well. I mean, why not? The cobs would be a great way to test the efforts.

As I said in the other thread concerning this, it's great we're all talking about this now and getting all the ideas sorted out. If there's ways I can help, please let me know.

Way to tell it like it is to Monbla, too. :lol: That had me chuckling. :lol:

8)

jefe1037":mndb9z0a said:

Your right about that ! I forgot they are "Folk Artisan" pipes :p

I'm going to have to agree with Dusty and Kyle:

As Dusty said, cobs are for using and abusing, and after they've taken too much abuse, throw them in the campfire (except the stem). Briars are something to keep and cherish. As such, I see no point in a BoB Cob.

And as Kyle said, let's take it slow, plan this thing out. Who cares if it gets done in 2013. Better to work out all the little details, get something that most everyone is happy with by concensus, and if all goes right, create a repeatable process so we can do this in subsequent years. A price point would help, too.

With briar cost wouldn't be an issue for me , I like the idea of a cob but the cost would have to be down due to the fact that their not as durable.

i.keenum":x6u4q4r2 said:
With briar cost wouldn't be an issue for me , I like the idea of a cob but the cost would have to be down due to the fact that their not as durable.
All in how you take care of 'em. 8)

Briar is harder to gather, acquire, treat, dry, carve, has a greater chance of hidden flaw. Cobs can be grown, turned and finished relatively quickly. That's the cost basis I'm going on, though I'm with ya--I'll throw down a different amount for a briar than a cob, but I suspect both is capable for lasting for years.

I'm just rough on pipes, not intentionally, I am just clumsy. So I need something that can dropped and kicked and scratched with out coming apart. If it is a good chance I'm gonna break it don't want to pay whole lot. Nothing against cobs. I like the ones I have had they smoke great, taste good, their light, but just not as solid. If you can get them cheap enough, I'll buy several and not have to worry enough that I'll destroy something special to me. Have one for out and about and one I can stick on the rack for show.

Dave_In_Philly":eksakr56 said:
FWIW, I'm in for either briar or cob, or both.
Me too.

I think cob now, Yakslon briar for 2013 :cheers:

And who are these "only artisan pipe smoking" brothers that monbla is talking about?? LoL

wintermute":9ms6ovx2 said:
I'm going to have to agree with Dusty and Kyle:

As Dusty said, cobs are for using and abusing, and after they've taken too much abuse, throw them in the campfire (except the stem). Briars are something to keep and cherish. As such, I see no point in a BoB Cob.

And as Kyle said, let's take it slow, plan this thing out. Who cares if it gets done in 2013. Better to work out all the little details, get something that most everyone is happy with by concensus, and if all goes right, create a repeatable process so we can do this in subsequent years. A price point would help, too.

If you take proper care of a corncob, it'll last for decades, so no, it isn't disposable. Read my Primer.

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=The_Complete_Corncob_primer

I think a cob would be a great way to get something created this year (for those interested), and provide some much needed lead time and insight into the 2013 model.

i.keenum":9b80iwht said:
I'm just rough on pipes, not intentionally, I am just clumsy. So I need something that can dropped and kicked and scratched with out coming apart. If it is a good chance I'm gonna break it don't want to pay whole lot. Nothing against cobs. I like the ones I have had they smoke great, taste good, their light, but just not as solid. If you can get them cheap enough, I'll buy several and not have to worry enough that I'll destroy something special to me. Have one for out and about and one I can stick on the rack for show.
I'm with John on cobs certainly not being disposable (not that you implied that, just making a statement).

I will, however, say with my field work, my cobs have popped out of my pocket, bounced off many rocks and tumbled down craggy, small cliffs. None of them have worked loose, came apart or shown much more than a slightly chipped edge at the bowl, and that metal ring at the shank/stem is pretty loose on one model. :lol: MM ought to make me an official QC tester! :cheers: (...hint hint, MM reps that might be reading... 8) )

Though I probably won't be taking any bulldog cobs or BoB specials on the road with me. 8)