The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
In years past various makers have agreed to make a fine briar...or a specific design was named as the approved item, etc. So far as I know there's been a couple of Tinsky pipes, one by Scottie, a Brigham, and so on. I've had three of them...all have been amazing.

This year it will be something completely different. This year's POY is...

The Falcon.

Here's how it will work. You pick a non-rusticated (smooth) bowl and bent or straight stem from whatever vendor you want. Contact our engraver via PM to work out the timing and details. Send the bowl to the engraver...pre-pay him via PayPal. He gets the bowl, engraves it and ships it back to you. That's it. Simple.

Think about it.

Pick a bent or straight stem, standard or custom...or both, etc. Silver, brown, blue, black bit, white bit...whatever.

Pick a smooth sided, large size bowl. Light or dark stain... meerschaum lined or even solid meerschaum!

Get your bowl in hand...maybe sand it down and do a custom stain...red, green tie dye...whatever! Then send it in for engraving. The possibilities are endless.

COST OF ENGRAVING = $20 plus return shipping.

Hey! Maybe you've got a favorite Falcon in your hoard? Want to send THAT one in? Why not? It just has to be clean in all regards. So you could end up with a POY for something like $25 total!!!

It was a major consideration to make this year's POY affordable. I think this qualifies.

And - there will be a "COOLEST POY DESIGN CONTEST" in which all pipes will be posted and members can vote their favorite for a nice prize.

The engraver will be Ozark Wizard, one of our own.

He will be open to receive your PM as of September 1st. Engraving services will run until the end of the year, December 31st.

That's pretty much it.

Oh! As we get into this and you maybe find a vendor or source for well priced bowls, a unique stem, etc.post it here for the cause.

Thank you for your support.

Don't like Falcons? Hate 'em? Fine. Don't get one. But there's no reason to bitch and moan here. In fact, if you do I'll enjoy deleting your post.

Have a nice day.

I've got the following in the works. I going to call it "Fire in Ice".

White bit silver & blue stem from England:

SH5B.jpg

Mated to a solid meerschaum bowl:

WGM_Meerschaum_Algiers_Smooth_Tobacco_Pipe_Bowl_TP2599_back__02823.1456253051.1280.1280.jpg

Blackhorse":ikniaje6 said:
I've got the following in the works. I going to call it "Fire in Ice".

White bit silver & blue stem from England:

SH5B.jpg

Mated to a solid meerschaum bowl:

WGM_Meerschaum_Algiers_Smooth_Tobacco_Pipe_Bowl_TP2599_back__02823.1456253051.1280.1280.jpg
Source, see voo play?

And this is a really unique concept for this year's POTY. I kinda dig it!

:rabbit:

Cheers,

RR

I'm quite liking the idea for this year's POTY too. Loving the excuse to grab another Falcon as well.

Thanks to the Wiz and the mods that organised this.

Cheers,

Tim

Stem source

http://www.cigar-connoisseur.co.uk/acatalog/Falcon_Shilllagh_Twisted_Pipe_Stems.html

I would imagine most online vendors have Falcon stems & bowls.

Mars, Pipes & Cigars, Smoking Pipes, 4 Noggins, Iwan Ries, etc. There's a list of online vendors somewhere on the site. The cheapest will be a function of item price plus shipping of course.

Remember...smooth bowl...large bowl...check with Ozzie via PM as of September 1st. Thanks

puros_bran":3bhmjbyp said:
Cheapest Falcon Retailer?
I just bought a Falcon Extra anodized copper colored bent stem and a smooth Hunter Dublin bowl from tobaccopipes.com . They have a bunch of stems and bowls, various shapes and sizes. Cost: Stem $28, bowl $28, free shipping. I don't know if that's the cheapest but it's pretty darned cheap. I know 4 Noggins has some, not sure who else.

As Blackhorse mentioned earlier, if you already have a Falcon smooth or meer bowl in good contition then you already have what you need. If you have a stem but would like a new bowl for the engraving you can get a smooth bowl for $28 including shipping.

In years past we've had some pretty nice handmade briar pipes for the POY, but the single biggest complaint every time was that a lot of people can't afford, $150, $200, $250 for a pipe. Well, this is going to be the most affordable POY you'll ever come across, so if you always wanted to participate but just couldn't afford to, now's your chance.

It's never easy picking a POY. In doing this years version we had to decline some nice offers for nice pipes from good carvers, but in wanting to reach out to those who can never afford to participate we had to pass on some potentially nice work. So, a big thanks to those who offered, a really big thanks to Ozark Wizard for accepting the work as engraver, and we hope this year turns out to be big fun for a lot of people.

Puff Daddy":td4sc652 said:
puros_bran":td4sc652 said:
Cheapest Falcon Retailer?
I just bought a Falcon Extra anodized copper colored bent stem and a smooth Hunter Dublin bowl from tobaccopipes.com . They have a bunch of stems and bowls, various shapes and sizes. Cost: Stem $28, bowl $28, free shipping. I don't know if that's the cheapest but it's pretty darned cheap. I know 4 Noggins has some, not sure who else.

As Blackhorse mentioned earlier, if you already have a Falcon smooth or meer bowl in good contition then you already have what you need. If you have a stem but would like a new bowl for the engraving you can get a smooth bowl for $28 including shipping.

In years past we've had some pretty nice handmade briar pipes for the POY, but the single biggest complaint every time was that a lot of people can't afford, $150, $200, $250 for a pipe. Well, this is going to be the most affordable POY you'll ever come across, so if you always wanted to participate but just couldn't afford to, now's your chance.

It's never easy picking a POY. In doing this years version we had to decline some nice offers for nice pipes from good carvers, but in wanting to reach out to those who can never afford to participate we had to pass on some potentially nice work. So, a big thanks to those who offered, a really big thanks to Ozark Wizard for accepting the work as engraver, and we hope this year turns out to be big fun for a lot of people.
This is huge, and kudos to all youse who contributed to this effort.

And not to mention that our own Wizard will be involved!

8)

Cheers,

RR

Yhis is a FANTASTIC concept for the POY !!!! I'll now have to get another bowl for my Falcon !! :twisted: :twisted:

As I recall, there are a couple of Brothers that can make custom Falcon bowls. Briar Spirit comes to mind, but I might be wrong. Just saying though, it might be cool to have a custom bowl.... Someone made some cob ones too. I just can't remember........

This will be great. Thanks for having the faith in my abilities...

How about this...ebony and ivory. The black bowl is Morta, the white is meerschaum. Could a set be any sweeter? The twisted stem version is called a "Shillelagh" and is commonly available in the UK for about $25 not counting shipping.

8fa1659b-9ca1-454b-9081-1c6c57a39caa_zpsx264fkod.jpg" style="width: 500px;height: 300px

I'd love to participate, but, alas, I am not Stateside to do all of this. I look forward to seeing the results nonetheless.

Also, I've never, ever seen a Falcon that is red or green like the ones in Blackhorse's photo. I could really go for that red one, for sure.

Blackhorse":u8qbeaqt said:
You don't have to be here to get a bowl to Ozzie, nor here for him to send it back. You could purchase one from a USA vendor and have it shipped to him.
True, but to have it then shipped to someone I know in the USA (my parents, let's say) and have them inspect something they know nothing about or to have it then shipped to me here in Kenya, which would most likely be confiscated by customs for some unbeknownst reason, is a bit out of my wheel house presently. As said, I look forward to seeing what becomes of all your guys' Falcons.