THEY'RE ALMOST HISTORY

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
swhipple":ijn7sh6v said:
Those cigarettes are the hardest thing to kick. It took me 3 or 4 tries before I finally said good bye to the damn things. It's the habit that keeps you in it as much as the nicotine. When I smoked I couldn't start the car without pushing in the cigarette lighter (Remember when cars came with those?), it was pure force of habit. Get rid of that last cigarette when you chose.
Yes sir! When I was a truck driver I couldn't get in the cab without lighting one up.
Now that I don't even drive my P/U but once a month I can get away without lighting up. And yes, mine has one, came stock in 1980. And I agree, much of it is just out of habit, use to light one up every time I took the dog out till one day I asked myself, "Do you really want one?" The answer was NO! So that stopped.

Great to hear! Hang on for a bit more and maybe you won't need us either!  :lol!:

Thank you guys! It's all down hill now.  :D 

Congrats! I can't imagine how hard that has been. Maybe to get rid of that final smoke per day, you could trim about a quarter inch off your sticks for a while, then half an inch and so on til you're finally down to the filter and ticked at yourself for wasting the money.

Keep up the good work!

Brian.

Growley":ak7k4qgk said:
Congrats! I can't imagine how hard that has been. Maybe to get rid of that final smoke per day, you could trim about a quarter inch off your sticks for a while, then half an inch and so on til you're finally down to the filter and ticked at yourself for wasting the money.

Keep up the good work!

Brian.
Thank you Brian, Only one problem, I smoke non-filters besides that 1st morning smoke I only smoke about 3/4's of it anyway. I'm sure some day I'll drop it all together.
Just maybe if I wasn't so lazy I'd just load a pipe first thing in the morn but, knowing how
I'm still half a sleep at that time I'm unsure how that would work out. LOL!
Maybe I could load one the night before and plug the bowl to keep it from drying out too much.
I'll work on it but, as I said before it's no rush, I work better at slow and steady. After 45 years it aint like that one cigarette is gona kill me any time soon. I didn't buy any cigarettes this month and I only have 5 1/2 packs left, so we'll go on those and when there gone we'll see where I stand.

...Congrats!!! "Slow & Steady" is the ticket, I think...

Congratulations! That's one ugly monkey to get off your back, and I've had so many friends try and fail over and over again.

Regarding filling a bowl in the morning, I always load a bowl the night before so I don't have to think in the morning when I grab my coffee and head to the fire. Not that I would actually think any other time of the day anyway, but it is a bit harder to do most anything before the sun is up. I seem to do best on auto-pilot for the first few hours, and having it ready to go makes life a little easier.

Natch

Natch":q46y62bw said:
Congratulations!  That's one ugly monkey to get off your back, and I've had so many friends try and fail over and over again.  

Regarding filling a bowl in the morning, I always load a bowl the night before so I don't have to think in the morning when I grab my coffee and head to the fire.  Not that I would actually think any other time of the day anyway, but it is a bit harder to do most anything before the sun is up.  I seem to do best on auto-pilot for the first few hours, and having it ready to go makes life a little easier.

Natch
Thank you Natch, Sounds like a good idea. Do you cover the bowl to keep the tobac from drying out or just leave it open to the air? I'm thinking the bowl will keep it moist except for the top layer but, I've never tried it. I've always been a load and smoke guy.

Nice going Ron, slow and steady is the way to go as you can see it's working for you.
A bowl of Sir Walter Raleigh or Half & Half first thing in the morning will probably finish the camels all together. Good luck to ya, and congrats on saving some $$ that you can enjoy on pipes.

docwatson":cz4ukw3x said:
Nice going Ron, slow and steady is the way to go as you can see it's working for you.
A bowl of Sir Walter Raleigh or Half & Half first thing in the morning will probably finish the camels all together. Good luck to ya, and congrats on saving some $$ that you can enjoy on pipes.
Thank you sir but, Half & Half or Sir Walter will most likely end everything for me Doc LOL!. I've tried both years ago and there both just God awful to me. I can't take Burley at all. About the strongest stuff I smoke nowadays is Elizabethan, we'll just stick to our Escudo and other vapers.
I got that nic craving today and had to have a bowl so I know now it's not really the nic I'm giving up, just a habit.

I'm surprised I missed this! The Holidays kinda cut down on forum time.

CONGRATS RON!!! This is spectacular news!

Ocelot55":zwflsgpk said:
I'm surprised I missed this! The Holidays kinda cut down on forum time.

CONGRATS RON!!! This is spectacular news!
Thank you Jesse!

One day a few weeks ago I ran out of nails. This is odd as I normally buy a carton at a time. We where having bad weather that day and I just thought to myself @#$% IT, I can do without a nail. I have not had one since that day. I have quit other times, but this seems to be the easiest. No stress from a doctor or anyone nagging. $10.00 a pack for Marlboros here in Massachusetts add up quick when you smoke almost 2 packs a day. I am so glad I quit.

Continued Good Luck Cartaphilus!!!

herbinedave":pdsz1uez said:
One day a few weeks ago I ran out of nails.  This is odd as I normally buy a carton at a time. We where having bad weather that day and I just thought to myself @#$% IT, I can do without a nail.  I have not had one since that day.  I have quit other times, but this seems to be the easiest.  No stress from a doctor or anyone nagging.  $10.00 a pack for Marlboros here in Massachusetts add up quick when you smoke almost 2 packs a day.  I am so glad I quit.  

Continued Good Luck Cartaphilus!!!
Thank you sir!
$10 a pack!!! And Camel non-filters here are the most expensive cigarette you can buy.
Glad I don't live in Massachusetts, I'd have to take up robbing banks to buy them.

I take that back, after calculating what the cost is per pack here mine cost $10.60 a pack. (cheaper per carton)
Gees! good time to quit I reckon.

Congrats! I can't imagine the difficulty you've faced with this. I skipped cigarettes completely and started with pipes and cigars, so I'm definitely not in the 'know' when it comes to that. Sounds like you're not far away now though!  :cheers: :cheers: 

Congratulations Cartaphilus! Absolutely great news. I'm going through the same struggle at the moment, and it is inspiring to see you being this successful. Keep up the good work!

Fraternally,

Mike Folks