This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
Reaction score
Was trying to make a copy of the old Stanwell bent Bulldog with the military bit and was doing fine till I lost my trend of thought and didn't pay attention to what I was doing. I know, your saying "What?" Well look at the top of the bowl carefully all the way around, you'll see the bevel isn't equal nor is it steep and far down enough making almost look like ..........Well, it doesn't look right. And if you all can't see that ya gotta see the big ole pit right in front of the bowl of course that's not my fault but, the other is. I'm going to try and make another just so I know I caqn do it without screw'en it up. So at least I'll have another to smoke. I bet Dorchester smokes like a dream in it. ;)
This is what it suppose to look a little like

But it looks like this:fpalm:

That is gorgeous! Looks much better than the Stanwell... and really, who cares about a little pit? Just part of the character of the wood the way I see it. :scratch:

Your pipe making is really incredible, Ron.

Crikey Ron. If I goofed up that bad on a pipe I'd made, I'd be delighted :cheers: ;)

Nicely done Ron. (But I get that it's not perfection in your eyes).

Thank ya both but, this is a screwed up pipe guys.
I mean granted it aint all that bad but, it is bad. The only reason I finished it was that One, I can't afford not to, Two I thought I might be able to fix it, and Three I've only smoked 2 of my pipes so I figured this be a good one to call #3. ;)

Despite the flaws it's still a beautiful pipe Ron. I can't see the bevel irregularity so well, and the big pit just begs to be carved into some kind of design - like a 'baccy leaf! I have one on my Wiley and it looks great. Probably hiding a pit there too but I don't care, it's one of my favorite pipes.

In any case I like it!

8) 

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":0qme8m0y said:
Despite the flaws it's still a beautiful pipe Ron. I can't see the bevel irregularity so well, and the big pit just begs to be carved into some kind of design - like a 'baccy leaf! I have one on my Wiley and it looks great. Probably hiding a pit there too but I don't care, it's one of my favorite pipes.

In any case I like it!

8) 

Cheers,

RR
Thank you BD ;) I thought about rusticated it but, I just didn't. I really need to get a blast cabinet so I can save some of these poor pipes from pits.

Cartaphilus":j9w1azsa said:
Brewdude":j9w1azsa said:

In any case I like it!

8) 

Cheers,

RR
Thank you BD ;) I thought about rusticated it but, I just didn't. I really need to get a blast cabinet so I can save some of these poor pipes from pits.

Sounds like a helluva good idea Ron. And rusticating it would work as well. You've seen many here who have done that with great effect. Clearly you could as well!

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":umo8eg6p said:
Cartaphilus":umo8eg6p said:
Brewdude":umo8eg6p said:

In any case I like it!

8) 

Cheers,

RR

Sounds like a helluva good idea Ron. And rusticating it would work as well. You've seen many here who have done that with great effect. Clearly you could as well!

Cheers,

RR
Yeah but, it just seems like more work then it's worth, sorta like putt'en a silk cap on a sow. Maybe if it wasn't so deep of a pit, it's about 1/8th of an inch deep. That's why I tried to fill it and as you can see that didn't go well either. It is what it is, a shop pipe.

Cartaphilus":sjdxcn83 said:
Brewdude":sjdxcn83 said:
Cartaphilus":sjdxcn83 said:
RR[/quote:sjdxcn83 said:
..., sorta like putt'en a silk cap on a sow. ]

I wouldn't call a nicely done blast that at all!! A good, well done blast on a nicely grained piece of briar shows off the grain soo much better than a smooth finish and an added bonus is one get's the tactile "vision" of the grain when the pipes in your hand !! I'll ALWAYS pick a nicely blasted pipe over an equally grained smooth finish !! JMHO :twisted: :twisted

monbla256":6i1glxkt said:
Cartaphilus":6i1glxkt said:
Brewdude":6i1glxkt said:
Cartaphilus":6i1glxkt said:
RR[/quote:6i1glxkt said:
..., sorta like putt'en a silk cap on a sow. ]

I wouldn't call a nicely done blast that at all!! A good, well done blast on a nicely grained piece of briar shows off the grain soo much better than a smooth finish and an added bonus is one get's the tactile "vision" of the grain when the pipes in your hand !! I'll ALWAYS pick a nicely blasted pipe over an equally grained smooth finish !! JMHO :twisted: :twisted
Better reread my post sir, my comment was referring to Rustication not a blast. I haven't a blast cabinet so ........but, after some thought might just rusticate it. I have nothing to loose at this point. ;)

SPUD 15":u755u6b2 said:
Ron I gotta say your so called f ups look great to me . MIKE
Thank you Mike. I reckon my eye see's things much differently.
Not that it's a turd but, it has it's problems, certainly not something I'd be proud to sell
but, still good enough for me to smoke.

Someone, I don't remember who it was right now said I was grandstanding, putting on a false
modesty act. I've given this some thought of late. I didn't really pay it much mind at the time.
Now it just kinda pisses me off. To those who think this, you have much bigger issues then I have! To those who understand that I'll probably never be completely satisfied with anything I do and this is why I react to compliments the way I do, Thank you! I've never been good taking compliments, I don't know why, it just makes me feel weird, embarrassed in a way.

No Mike, this had nothing to do with you, it just came to mind while I was typing my reply to you. ;)

The only thing wrong with that pipe is the pit as far as I'm concerned, don't you know anyone who could sandblast it for you Ron, surely there are are some brothers on here who could help out! I much prefer a Blast than a Rustication, just a thought!

allyby":tf3zjl30 said:
The only thing wrong with that pipe is the pit as far as I'm concerned, don't you know anyone who could sandblast it for you Ron, surely there are are some brothers on here who could help out! I much prefer a Blast than a Rustication, just a thought!
There is a fella I know but, it's just more money then I think it's worth sir.

I like it. Yep the bevel is off and it has a pit. Well my bevel is off and I have a few pits so no big deal to me.

:cheers:

RobJ":liuantd2 said:
I like it. Yep the bevel is off and it has a pit. Well my bevel is off and I have a few pits so no big deal to me.

:cheers:
Yeah but, I didn't make ya!
If I had you'd be handsome like me with more money.

With all the lousy  pipes with goof-ups you have done and shown us I'd say you probably ought to just give up trying to make pipes. It's obvious you don't know how or what you are doing as YOU have shown and told us time after time so just quit doing it!! If you can't make a PERFECT pipe EVERY time you make one why do it? I mean The White Spot, Savinelli and others ALWAYS make PERFECT pipes so why bother ? :cat: :cat: :cat:

Moderator Evaluation: the Management apologises for monbla's foolish and intentionally hurtful comments. He must think he's funny and doesn't realize the low regard others have of him.

monbla256":3eic2auz said:
With all the lousy  pipes with goof-ups you have done and shown us I'd say you probably ought to just give up trying to make pipes. It's obvious you don't know how or what you are doing as YOU have shown and told us time after time so just quit doing it!! If you can't make a PERFECT pipe EVERY time you make one why do it? I mean The White Spot, Savinelli and others ALAYS make PERFECT pipes so why bother ? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Shut up old man and buy a pipe from me, at least then you'll really have something to complain about.
Hey, if I give up what does that say about me? Sooner or later I'll be happy with what I've made.
Too bad you won't be around to see it.

Cartaphilus":gvnfzekj said:
monbla256":gvnfzekj said:
With all the lousy  pipes with goof-ups you have done and shown us I'd say you probably ought to just give up trying to make pipes. It's obvious you don't know how or what you are doing as YOU have shown and told us time after time so just quit doing it!! If you can't make a PERFECT pipe EVERY time you make one why do it? I mean The White Spot, Savinelli and others ALAYS make PERFECT pipes so why bother ? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Shut up old man and buy a pipe from me, at least then you'll really have something to complain about.
Hey, if I give up what does that say about me? Sooner or later I'll be happy with what I've made.
Both sides of my family have lived well into their 90's so we'll see ! :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":2s3fvm50 said:
Cartaphilus":2s3fvm50 said:
monbla256":2s3fvm50 said:
Both sides of my family have lived well into their 90's so we'll see ! :twisted: :twisted:
Damn! I gotta put up with you that long, Oh well! what's 5 or 10 years anyway, I can wait.