This Year In Chicago! "The BoB's Summit"???

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dock

Reaction score
Ok folks,

Not being in Chicago this year has really got me bummed out. :x The thing that really bothers me is that ya' never know when it will be the last year for the show! Frank Burla is no spring chicken and close friends associated with the club tell me that it'll be over after Frank decides to throw in the towel on it. No one has the time and resources to do all he does! This much is certain. Much like the late Tom Dunn, there's only one Frank!

I was thinking that next year as many of us as possible should go and meet up there. I'm thinking us "BoBers" should plan to have a special dinner on the Friday night before the show. How much of a blast would this be! I know it's a loooooooong way off but giving folks one year to make preperations and save money would be beneficial to all of us I think.

What say you all? If we do decide to do this, how many of you fine folks think you could/would be able to attend?

Starting to save my pennies for next year, Dock. I do hope to be there and look forward to meeting up with other BoBers!

Lou, NY

An outstanding idea! I spent 23 years in Chicago and in many ways still consider it home. IMHO it is the finest city in the world. Add to that a chance to meet and spend some time with the BoB makes this a must be there event. :lol:

Of course,since I live 12 miles from the show I'm up for it. 8)

Winslow :sunny:

One of the popular American pipe carvers was telling me today that next year is the last year for the current contract. But that a new 3 year contract was going to be signed this weekend or very soon for an additional 3 years. So, looking good for at least 4 more years at the same location. :D

I was planning on going this year, but I already had two trips planned for the summer so I had to cancel... I'm in

I've never been to Chi-car-go, I'll say let's do it.
Great idea Dock :cheers: .
I'm gonna set up an empty tin to start saving coins.

I wouldn't mind getting up there. I haven't been to Chicago since 1980 when I was 10. Maybe I can get JustPipes and Ol'Dawg to carpool/road trip with me. And anyone else who would want to ride up.

Well it seems settled business then. The "BoB's Summit" will be!

As soon as Frank posts the dates of the 2010 show I will post them here. I will also in time post all of the hotel information and directions from the airport to Pheasant Run. We'll also need numbers of taxi cab companies in Chicago. Perhaps some of us can carpool up from the airport. We'll use this thread for further announcements and such. Stay tuned and start saving your $$$$$$$

The Chicago Show has been on my "bucket' list for years. Maybe 2010 will finally be the year.
Terry

I had hoped to get there this year, it would have been my first pipe show. Now I hope to make Columbus in August.
But this year has been like the Al Capp character who was followed around by that black cloud of bad luck. I had a reaction to a prescription drug that now I am just about recovered from (four months later), and we had major repairs to the roof, furnace, water heater, and car.
So no Chicago, this year.

I would love to but the US govt. don't want me there (long story, probably 9/11 paranoia). They declined my visa application to exhibit at a knifeshow in 2004 AND had the audacity to tell me not to try again.

Regarding taxi cabs to the show, I rented a Ford Fusion at Budget for 2 days and it cost me $46 -- I suspect that's a lot cheaper than cabs. Getting to Phesant Run from the airport is really easy. I can get lost going in a straight line but I managed to get there with no problem, it took me about 45 minutes.

Okay... has anyone entered the golf tournament there? My son is interested if there is golf. We'd drive from Edmonton.

Slow Puffs":u03e36a1 said:
Okay... has anyone entered the golf tournament there? My son is interested if there is golf. We'd drive from Edmonton.

I had thought about it in the past. The course, or courses. Not sure how many they have. Is right there. You can see it from the windows and you can park right next to it at the resort. Beautiful place.

Sounds like a another good excuse to make it to the show...

I will make every attempt to attend