To filter or not to filter, that is the question.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SpeedyPete":nekcson1 said:
I have a couple of pipes drilled to accept filters.

I smoke them without the filters and I got rid of the adaptors as well. I've read somewhere that a pipe can be damaged if smoked without an adaptor. I really can't see how this can happen.

I'm wondering what the brothers think about this issue?
I've had many pipes for 6 mm and 9 mm filters that I smoked filterless and can tell you I don't see how the pipe could be damaged. Let us know if you find that out.

Like Dave said, the empty chamber can collect moisture and, worse, pipe cleaner fuzz and other gunk. This means that you need to pull out the stem and clean the chamber, because a pipe cleaner does not work. Even with an adapter, cleaning is a bit messier than for regular pipes.

As far as flavor goes, I've never noticed much of a difference...

I have a Vauen pipe that takes a 9mm filter. I don't smoke it very often, which I guess tells you how I feel about the filter/non filter thing but it does smoke very nicely. I do not use the paper charcoal filters with it, but instead use the Sav 9mm balsa's. It smokes dry as advertised. One day, I'll probably find an insert for it.

I never could get in to them. I had a few of the Savinelli filter pipes but liked them better without the balsa inserts. It's a pain in the butt if the pipe starts to gurgle. Nifty idea though.

I've oticed a few of you guys saying you have to take out the stem to remove the filter so you can clean it. I've always removed the stem for cleaning, filtered or not. This isn't going to hurt the pipe any will it. I always let the pipe sit for a bit so it can cool before reeming or cleaning.

zjgilbert":by9a6vu2 said:
I've oticed a few of you guys saying you have to take out the stem to remove the filter so you can clean it. I've always removed the stem for cleaning, filtered or not. This isn't going to hurt the pipe any will it. I always let the pipe sit for a bit so it can cool before reeming or cleaning.
Some people feel that removing the stem every time you clean the pipe, puts extra milage on your stem/mortise connection. Once the stem gets loose, you would need to utilize a method of tightening the connection back up, or have a replacement stem made for $20-$30.

My local tobacconist sells boxes of 40 Denicotea brand filters for $5. Were they not so cheap, I might not not use my filtered pipes as often. Some tobacconists get .25-.30 each for filters, which can add up pretty quickly.

If the stem tenon is vulcanite/ebonite I would never take it out until the pipe is well cooled down. You might get a little more leeway with a delrin tenon, but in that scenario there is more danger of snapping the tenon *cringe and minor gag reflex*.

I don't deal with acrylic much, I'm sure someone with acrylic experience could point you in the right direction.

Hm thanks for the food for though. On a semi related note, how do I know what my stem is made of?

While I don't often post on this topic, here's a few more thoughts for your consideration.

I own both balsa and charcoal type filter pipes, as well as non-filter pipes. When I find a tobacco that is very difficult to dry to the moisture content that I would like, I will go to a balsa-type filter pipe to tone down the moisture which can appear as tongue-burn (some might call it bite). If a tobacco is much stronger in nicotine than I care for, I will go to a charcoal-type filter pipe, as the filter absorbs a decent amount of the nicotine in the blend.

As to the comments that filter pipes are more difficult to keep clean because of the enlarged bore in the pipe shank due to the filter, the same comment could be made about the Peterson System pipes, due to their moisture well; and yet they seem to be quite popular pipes. I have two, myself, and enjoy them both.

As always, try things for yourself, and decide what works for you.

Another aspect that was brought up to me when I was looking for an adapter for a filtered pipe was to just smoke it without the filter or adapter. An adapter just leaves more crevices for moisture to make its way to and sit which is never a good thing. I only own one filtered pipe that isn't a cob and it is a Dunhill, smokes great without a filter or adapter and will still pass a pipe cleaner with just a little twist of the cleaner as it goes down. As for my cobs...filters out. When I bought my first one, before I ever left the B&M, I took the filter out and chucked it in their trash can. Smoke it slow and I still don't get too hot and with the filter I can't puff a little quicker because the draw is restricted. Then again I am a stubborn, thick-headed, moron at times, and watched Bogart roll his own cigs in movies with no filter while the women folk had filters and long cig holders. I might still be a pup compared to some but Bogart smoked a cig without a filter then I damn well am gonna smoke my pipes without one too because Bogart was a bada-- ladies man.

I have Savs and have smoked them with and without balsa filters and, truth to tell, I couldn't tell when the filter is in/out until I try to run a cleaner through, at least for English blends. FWIW, I would opine that filters aren't needed if you pack correctly, smoke slowly and don't let the dang bowl get hotter'n hell. Pipes will also get wet if you try to smoke the same pipe multiple times in a day. Get a good rotation, and rest your briars, and see if you're not enjoying your smokes more. Also, I've never noticed any harm done to a pipe by omitting the filter. Maybe I'm missing something, but I think smelly, gunky, gurgly pipes are simply objecting to overuse. When I was a kid, I remember womenfolk complaining of stinking pipes -- but the menfolk only owned one or two and smoked them all day while working. My missus' friend, while being given a home tour, has actually said my pipes smell good, "sweet, like being out in the woods."

Technique is the key here. Everybody smokes differently and even the same person will smoke differently in different situations like workin in the yard or sittin in the easy chair. I have two 9mm filter pipes and a handful of Savs with the balsa and two Sav dry system pipes along with twenty five or so that have no filter and I love them all. Some tobaccos work better with... or without as well. I really like the 9mm with tobacco like Plumcake, it takes some of the bite out of em and I think enhances the subtle flavors. I love The Solent Mixture in the Sav balsa's as it seems to bring out the mid-range flavors and gives me a little leeway to push harder if I want. I've tried and will try different combinations looking for a better smoke and it's just another variable in the thousands that already exist in this hobby we enjoy... I am sure there are pipes and tobacco's that are just fine without one.

I would never tell anyone not to try it... no more than I would tell anyone not to try a filtered cigarette. If it works and helps you to enjoy your smoke that much more, hey, help yourself.

FWIW, I don't find pulling a nasty filter out of a pipe any worse than handling a nasty pipe cleaner through a wet pipe... but that's just me and just a humble opinion.

Scott

My first pipe was a Savinelli (got a Savinelli brand shop in my city) drilled to accept balsa filters... together with my first tobacco that was an aromatic I don't care to remember if not for avoiding purposes and is the reason for me not to know anything about aromatics... the dreadful smokes I had with this were the first reason for me to quit pipe smoking for some months as it gurgled like a hookah. I remember the balsa thingy being drenched.

After some months I smoked it again with a more serious tobacco and putting in its adapter... much better... then I took out the adapter... much much better... then I bought a pipe with no filterish stuff/drills... This second is my first pipe while the other went into a drawer.

Now... sometimes I am sorry for this, but I will not buy a pipe that was made to accept filters of any kind... I just saw a really nice brand new Brebbia spigot some days ago at a fraction of the price, but... I am afraid to ask and discover it accepts filters.

I don't like the obstruction. Period. I've also had the straw type, like the Castello straws. Pretty much inconsequential. I've seen guys crumple up rolling papers (like 2-3) into the bottom of the bowl if they feel a tobacco tends to burn wet. Not that I ever do it, but that makes as much sense to me as anything. Keep it simple, stupid.