Want a full, sour English or Balkan

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cakeanddottle

Reaction score
I am making the rounds with Lat blends to find my Grail.

3 Oaks Syrian- this could be it. The most balanced and compelling of all that I've tried.

SG Squadron Leader- incredible sweetness I wasn't expecting. Lighter than I thought it would be. Good enough to keep around, but not The One.

Lancer Slices- dry and leathery, in a good way, but fairly flat.

Peretti's Royal Blend- meh

Peretti's Cambridge Flake- sour from start to finish, and I mean that in the most wonderful sense. Usually have to wait til the end of the bowl for this, if I'm lucky, but this tobacco displays it persistantly. I really like this and will keep it around.

Penzance- blasphemy I know, but this isn't it. My opinion may change, and I have 8 oz to smoke, but I found it to be good but not great.

I want to try the following:
Red Rapparee
Ten Russians
Nightcap
Germain Special Latakia Flake
Sillem's London Blend
McClelland Ashton Revival Old Dog
Peretti's The Pride of Loch Lomond
Peretti's Omega
GLP Quiet Nights
GLP Odyssey
GLP Westminster
Russ' Sobranie Throwdown winner

Anyway, I guess my question is, is there a Lat blend where I can find the awesome sour notes that Cambridge Flake has, along with the campfire of Latakia and the depth and balance that 3 Oaks has?

I know it sounds like I should just stockpile 3 Oaks, but it is maybe too sophisticated. I would kind of like something not quite so polished, showing flashes of brilliance yet not above putting the wrong foot forward on occasion. Putting up with the missteps to appreciate the glory as it were. That sounds vague, but not to you guys, cause you love this stuff the way I do!

Thanks for any nudges in the right direction.

Instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, why not just make a parfait of Cambridge Flake and 3 Oaks Syrian?

Yeah I guess I am not so much looking for the Grail as I am looking for a tobacco that satisfies more than one of my criteria. I want the sourness of CF, the glimpses of sweetness shown by SQL, traces of the campfire of Proper English, the leather of Lancer, and the balance of 3 Oaks. I just thought maybe there was one incredible tobacco that managed to capture aspects of all of that. You're right though, I wouldn't want that in a wine, why would I want it in a tobacco.

Still, any suggestions are welcome.

A parfait bowl is probably the best solution. I do it all the time. Try some Odyssey with Balkan Sasieni. The Sasieni is sweet and the Odyssey is sour. The larger the bowl the more layers possible. I do it in an oom paul.

SG Navy Flake ain't bad for a Lat/VA flake if you can get ahold of some. Much fuller than SGSL. I´ve been smoking a little of this lately as Lats and Orientals have been calling to me again. The SGSL is good, but I´d take Dunhill EMP over it any day.

cakeanddottle":148cbzzs said:
I am making the rounds with Lat blends to find my Grail.

3 Oaks Syrian- this could be it. The most balanced and compelling of all that I've tried.

SG Squadron Leader- incredible sweetness I wasn't expecting. Lighter than I thought it would be. Good enough to keep around, but not The One.

Lancer Slices- dry and leathery, in a good way, but fairly flat.

Peretti's Royal Blend- meh

Peretti's Cambridge Flake- sour from start to finish, and I mean that in the most wonderful sense. Usually have to wait til the end of the bowl for this, if I'm lucky, but this tobacco displays it persistantly. I really like this and will keep it around.

Penzance- blasphemy I know, but this isn't it. My opinion may change, and I have 8 oz to smoke, but I found it to be good but not great.

I want to try the following:
Red Rapparee
Ten Russians
Nightcap
Germain Special Latakia Flake
Sillem's London Blend
McClelland Ashton Revival Old Dog
Peretti's The Pride of Loch Lomond
Peretti's Omega
GLP Quiet Nights
GLP Odyssey
GLP Westminster
Russ' Sobranie Throwdown winner

Anyway, I guess my question is, is there a Lat blend where I can find the awesome sour notes that Cambridge Flake has, along with the campfire of Latakia and the depth and balance that 3 Oaks has?

I know it sounds like I should just stockpile 3 Oaks, but it is maybe too sophisticated. I would kind of like something not quite so polished, showing flashes of brilliance yet not above putting the wrong foot forward on occasion. Putting up with the missteps to appreciate the glory as it were. That sounds vague, but not to you guys, cause you love this stuff the way I do!

Thanks for any nudges in the right direction.
Have you tried GLP Abingdon? I think you might like this based on what you wrote. I'd also suggest Russ' Magnum Opus, McClelland's Wilderness and G&H Bakan Mixture. If you have the money, a lot of people think that Compton of Galashiels' english/balkan blends are the best on the market. They're from Canada and are expensive, but a lot of folks think they are worth it. I've tried some and can vouch for the quality, but I dont like the turnaround time on orders from the U.S.

Still going to order some GLP, but after more sessions with Peretti's Cambridge Flake I have decided that it pretty much fulfills this need. Smells sour in the jar, like unsweetened yoghurt. Smokes the same, and the flavor persists after the bowl is finished. Just about everything you could want in a sour English I suppose. It's definitely a keeper for me and I am going to start stocking up.

jj1015":782ouh07 said:
Have you tried GLP Abingdon? I think you might like this based on what you wrote.
I was thinking the same, and then, or maybe rather, try Blackpoint. Blackpoint has a slight "wang" to it.

You certainly won't want Uhle's Bishop's Move, good lat punch but rather sweet. You might try Old Ironsides or MC Coyote Classic mixed with your Cambridge Flake?

Natch

Zeno Marx":r3e18bu7 said:
jj1015":r3e18bu7 said:
Have you tried GLP Abingdon? I think you might like this based on what you wrote.
I was thinking the same, and then, or maybe rather, try Blackpoint. Blackpoint has a slight "wang" to it.
Good call! I would choose Abingdon myself (I find it a little fuller) but either would proably fit the bill based on his description. I haven't smoked any Blackpoint in years, but now that you mention it .....

I just lit my first bowl of And So To Bed. This has a portion of the sour note of Cambridge Flake. I will have to smoke more. Certainly would be cheaper if it pans out.

nope, too mild. Good though, but not full enough or sour enough. Is there a little Burley in this? I get little peeks of nutty sweetness.

Believe it or not, Key Largo has that quintessential sour note when you pop the tin. And it's a fantastic blend. The cigar leaf is never in the foreground, just a spice that really help make this an earthy, delicious English blend. You might also add Margate to your list

Jimbo":4lo36cvh said:
Believe it or not, Key Largo has that quintessential sour note when you pop the tin. And it's a fantastic blend. The cigar leaf is never in the foreground, just a spice that really help make this an earthy, delicious English blend. You might also add Margate to your list
have and like Key Largo! Margate is on the list.