Welcome to the World / Contest

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wintermute":46wprzua said:
Don Manhattan, I am honored and grateful that you have chosen to offer me a tin of tobacco to honor the day of your son's birth. May your son be a masculine child.
"A man in my position can't afford to made to look ridiculous!"

(Just stay away from massage tables, barber chairs, and revolving doors on the day he's christened...)

Congratulations Doc.
I hate to jump in but does anyone know who Percivall Pott was?

Bub":74rlpkm8 said:
Congratulations Doc.
I hate to jump in but does anyone know who Percivall Pott was?
An English surgeon, I think he came up with the first way of imobilizing a broken leg so it can heal instead of amputation.

Thanks to Wikipedia:
In 1756, Pott sustained a broken leg after a fall from his horse. It is often assumed that his injury was the same one that later came to be known as Pott's fracture, but in reality Pott's broken leg was a much more serious compound fracture of the femur. As he lay in the mud and muck, he sent a servant to buy a door from a nearby construction site, then had himself placed on the door and taken home. Surgeons cleaned the wound and discussed amputation, an operation which at the time had a very high rate of failure (as it often led to sepsis and death), but Pott prevailed on them to splint the leg and he ultimately recovered completely.[1] In 1768, Pott published Some Few Remarks upon Fractures and Dislocations. The book was translated into French and Italian and had a far-reaching influence in Britain and France. His name was written in the annals of medicine, by first describing arthritic tuberculosis of the spine (Pott's disease). He gave an excellent clinical description in his Remarks on that Kind of Palsy of the Lower Limbs. Among his other writings the most noteworthy are A Treatise on Ruptures (1756), and Chirurgical Observations.

In 1775, Pott found an association between exposure to soot and a high incidence of scrotal cancer (later found to be squamous cell carcinoma) in chimney sweeps. This was the first occupational link to cancer, and Pott was the first person to demonstrate that a malignancy could be caused by an environmental carcinogen. Pott's early investigations contributed to the science of epidemiology and the Chimney Sweeper's Act of 1788.[2]

In 1765 he was elected Master of the Company of Surgeons, the forerunner of the Royal College of Surgeons.